Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Goals of owning a Bus?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MOX,

You're jumpin line, dude :2gunfire: -- Your's will be X5 on Kombi's response.

Nah, just kiddin! Really, I think it's kinda cool that most of us are on the same wavelength with this Cool

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MOX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaussinator wrote:
Hey MOX,

You're jumpin line, dude :2gunfire: -- Your's will be X5 on Kombi's response.

Nah, just kiddin! Really, I think it's kinda cool that most of us are on the same wavelength with this Cool

-Klauss

Laughing love the little gun dude!
i went back and updated my post not sure how i missed that
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drive it, fix it, love it.
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal was and still is to bring it back and make it reliable. My goal is to enjoy working on it and relieve stress at the same time. My goal is to take my family camping and enjoy a different type of life. My goal is to take it to the Arctic Circle. My goal is to take it to the tip of Baja, learning to surf the whole trip. My goal is not to have a show bus and definitely not a trailer queen. My goal is to love and drive something unique and imperfect that has a sole.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

78Kombi wrote:
enjoy it with my family, and create good memories.
the kids love the bus!

x6

My bus was ordered as a barebones Kombi, so it was always intended to be modified to someone's liking. It's been a transporter, a camper, a transporter again, and now that I have it, a much better and complete camper than it had ever been.

I could care less about a show-quality paint job; or immaculate, non-peeling veneer on cabinets. I also don't care about the nicks and scratches that it has here and there, because it's never going to be perfect, and I like it that way.

The goals my wife and I always shared when I bought the bus was to make it something we would be comfortable and happy camping in, and to entertain our friends and family with. Those goals have definitely been achieved:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We also have some milestones we like to reach, and they're about keeping the bus fun and interesting, ensuring it's reliable, and making memories.

One of those is to complete our late Westfalia interior and we're getting pretty damn close. We have a bed, closet, sink, tire cover, jalousie windows, rear table, dash table and over-the-engine cushion. The last piece we really want is a late weekender headbanger cabinet, and it's the only one alluding us (we came close - ordered one, but it came shattered in pieces thanks to UPS).

Another was to go back to a Type 4 from a Type 1 motor, and eventually convert back to a complete fuel injection system. With the help of my friend over the summer, that dream came true:

Which in turn helped us achieve our other huge goal: to make it over the Eisenhower tunnel (11,000 ft!) and back, which we've done twice now on trips to Steamboat Springs and Maroon Bells in Aspen Very Happy

Needless to say, we are very thankful for the fact that this bus has come into our lives. We've made amazing friends that have made us feel happy and at home in Colorado, and we're always looking forward to the next bus adventure. Our life simply wouldn't be the same without it!
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Bus, story, and photos!
77VWBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I've found that some BRM wheels and lowering it can stave off the more boring bodywork, making it more attractive as it falls apart, lol. Hoodride is starting to look like a tempting option Wink , lol. Have them paint each panel satin black as I come up with the money for each repair, until the whole thing is finally ready for paint, maybe, one day...

Last edited by 77VWBusDude on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:00 am; edited 2 times in total
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a few pics of goals -

gOOd timeS
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skid wrote:
drive it, fix it, love it.
Repeat.

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my goal is to live the dream.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
my goal is to live the dream.

you must own a jersey looker then. i had no idea.
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey RIOMX,
Great to see you & your's are keepin that bus warm!
Haven't heard much from you lately, but those are some great pics and encouragement for all of us.

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! I guess some might not get it, but I sure do --- It's like these things have a soul . . .
Also, the general consensus seems to be that it's more fun to use them than to primp them.

-Klauss
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal is to stay out of the tower with a cache of shotguns.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal is to make great memories with my kids!
A 78 Westy found me that is in the exact shape that I wanted her to be in. She has some dents and scrapes (but very, very little rust) and needs a new tent but most everything is there. She is very stock and hopefully will need only minor engine work. I plan on pulling the engine and going over it and doing any repairs to the gas tank this winter. I want to take my family on some trips next summer and fall.
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: goals Reply with quote

In the past my goals for my bus were different. When I was 26 in '96 my short-term goals for the '67 I had just purchased in Gunnison, CO were to keep the bus going for the 50k I put on it in the 4 years I had it and live in it as much as possible. Long term was to restore top/down and front to back. Sold it though! Embarassed

Now, for my '74 bay...? I have had it for 3 years (4?) and have driven it for only around 8k miles--funds and time, and not wanting to just keep it going with shortcuts have been the main issues. This bus was an investment and possibly my last. It is in amazing original condition, even has most of the factory undercoating still intact. I am the third owner and I believe it has been garaged most of its life. And, it is a Georgia bus. The interior is unmolested and has been very consciously used, looks better than most other originals out there for the bays. The trannie is solid (for now). The bus is probably 99% rust free with minor rust around the front and back window seals. All seams are rust free. It is on its second paint. The engine needs some TLC.

My general goals:
1) Drive and camp of course Rolling Eyes . I hope to be fully operational mechanically by the spring thaw here in the northeast. This will mean a thorough once over of all mechanical systems and repair/maintenance as necessary. Of course the engine is top on the list. My immediate goal for that is to get everything I can from my IAC visit in a few weeks!
2) Refresh and replace. Everything is original and in fair to good to very good condition. I plan on freshening/cleaning everything slowly, replacing the few small items missing or broken (seat belt hangers, etc), updating where needed (seatbelts, curtains, etc.). However, these things are not necessary to get out camping.
3) I would like to explore a paint job, but I am going with a good scrubbing first and waxing. Then we'll see.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I decided going into 2011 that our bus is gonna see some more camping than it had the last few years . . .

My youngest child is 10 years old, and she's turned out to be my nature enthusist. Of course, she loves camping and has only ever done it in the bus! Well, yesterday she started bugging me about camping out this weekend, and despite my explaining that it was going to be in the 20's at night, she insisted that she wanted to go.

We ended up going Fri. night into Sat. (Just me, her, and Abby-dog because everyone else thought we were crazy!) We really were surprisingly comfortable inside the bus. Guess I'm off to a good start with one of my goals . . .

Yeah, I brought my laptop Rolling Eyes Internet via 3G

-Klauss
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaussinator wrote:

Yeah, I brought my laptop Rolling Eyes

Good Lord, that is like going to a live classical Rachmaninoff concert at Lincoln Center, and slapping on the earbuds to listen to Barney Purple Dinosaur Sings "I Love You" in your matching fuzzy slippers.

It's like, it's like, driving to the Pacific Ocean from Newark, New Jersey and instead parking a mile inland on Wilshire Boulevard to yap on a cell phone at Starbucks and driving back to New Jersey.

It is as confusing as those RV campers I meet who station themselves at an RV campground three feet from the interstate and cranking up their Honda generators so they can . . . watch Court TV.

It's like . . . . it's
Razz
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like, It's like . . . Being able to keep up with the Samba-doings while I'm out "doing"

-Klauss
RuneDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel like there's some kind of zen in bus ownership. you can't go too fast in it, so you can't get caught up in the overly-high pace of modern society. you have to take really good care of it, so you learn how to be careful and treasure the things you have, for me, i want to learn how to fix my own car with my own hands without becoming a mechanic--which would be impossible with a car that has a computer in it. you have to find your inner zen in the face of danger, because they aren't super safe, and you're reminded of this every time you look out your windshield and see the lack of engine that would cushion you from a head on collision. they are a superb camping vehicle, and personally, i love being in nature. they are cute and different looking, and i like that. you can fit all your friends in it, or you can load it up with set pieces/furniture/etc that i will someday need to transport around for my theatre company. these are all reasons why i want to get a bus. but mostly because something instinctually feels right about this being the kind of car that i get.

and there's also this boy who i really like who would think i was the coolest girl ever if i had a bus, and he's exactly the kind of guy i want to attract (even if it never turns out to be him--just someone like him). HAHAHAHAHA! but that's not the real reason i want a bus, because i've wanted a bus much longer than i've known of his existence.

Oh, and I intend to spend at least one summer of my life being a "rubber tramp," and i wanna do it in a bus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about the GOAL, it's about the ADVENTURE! If you have to ask you just don't understand.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: