Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Paint!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: New Paint! Reply with quote

Been working on painting the 91, had a fair amount of body work to do before paint, did that, then sprayed with high fill, sanded down to cover minor imperfections etc. Finally got to spray some paint last weekend, got the front and back painted, and the drivers side.

Theres a pretty good amount of body damage on the right side where the slider door meets the 1/4 panel thats going to be a pretty large amount of work. Will also be replacing the sliding door at that time:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can kinda see the damage on the drivers side here(below the slider), it was over a large area, and while its not perfect now, its much better than it was:

Overall I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, this is about as good as you can get with a single stage paint. I wasn't going for perfect just better. The imperfections get hidden by the bright white(this is a pure white, with no pigment added) if there were a darker color being sprayed generally a clear coat is the only way to go. You can really tell how creamy the old paint was compared to the bright white.

While it was out I tinted the rear window with limo tint, I just love the contrast of bright white with dark windows. All the tupperware lower body molding has been repainted in flat black along with the bumpers. Should be nice looking when its finally all done.

Anyone need anything painted pure white? I'm going to have half a gallon or so left over.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like White too and I am a big fan of single stage paint. I think white with black accents is the way to go.

Ok, I have to give you shit though. I bet you spent more time masking the door handle than it would have taken to remove it. Good job. If you want to come by sometime and critique my work you're welcome too. I am sure you can point out something. Smile

Good Job!
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this your first paint job? I'm looking to do something similar on my '90 (cheap but presentable single stage white paint, no clear coat). What did this cost you, where did you get the paint etc? I wish I could see it in person, I want to do a cheap job like yours but worry it'll turn out bad.

-Rob
roberth3850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go along with Robw. I am planning to paint my '86 Westy after a bunch of body work, (dings and dents on all four corners etc).
Being naturally frugal (my family says cheap) I want to do as much myself as I can. Please go into some detail on what you did and how how you did it, if you could please.
Is this something a novice could undertake? With 20 by 20 results (20 feet and 20MPH).

Thanks
R
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
I really like White too and I am a big fan of single stage paint. I think white with black accents is the way to go.

Ok, I have to give you shit though. I bet you spent more time masking the door handle than it would have taken to remove it. Good job. If you want to come by sometime and critique my work you're welcome too. I am sure you can point out something. Smile

Good Job!

It's understandable about the door handle, I like to strip things down as much as possible too, but past a certain point the amount of time involved gets prohibitive.

Plus, I've done so much painting that I've learned to mask quickly and with clean lines.

I used to like single stage paints more, cheap, not complicated to mix, cheap, but clear coats give much better results with less time, to get single stage paints to gloss is tricky, and buffing them down to glass is nearly impossible, IMO clear coats give a much better result.

As evidence this is the last bit of clear I sprayed:

When I do the syncro I am going base/clear, to really get those deep colors and reflections you need that clear.

And I would be more than happy to swing by. Got any westy's that need the raised table mod? I have like 8 feet of this pipe left over I keep hitting my head on, I keep trying to get Rick to bring his westy over to do it so maybe I would stop hitting my head.

And if you need a painter or Mechanical Engineer I'm not doing much right now, just trying to flip some vehicles on the side from Klode.

Robw_z wrote:
Was this your first paint job? I'm looking to do something similar on my '90 (cheap but presentable single stage white paint, no clear coat). What did this cost you, where did you get the paint etc? I wish I could see it in person, I want to do a cheap job like yours but worry it'll turn out bad.

-Rob

Nope, been painting for awhile, though my skills for single stage have plateau'd. I simply cannot get the same glossy finish that I can with clears, part of this is the quality of the paint too, generally single stage paints are cheaper. The base coat for clears is fairly cheap, but its the clear coat itself that is pricey.

The Gallon of paint cost $80 or so, a gallon of reducer was like $22, I think a quart of hardener was $52. Realistically less than 2 quarts should be enough for a whole van. Since about 2003 I've gone through about 2 gallons of paint painting an 84 sunroof van, a 1990 nissan 300zx, and the fiberglass camper parts and upper roof of my westy. I used up that second can doing that camper top painting and had to get a new one for painting the van. So far I've only used a little over a quart for the front, back, and side.

The single stage paint I use is the Limco 2 line by BASF. I purchase my paint through finishmaster (finishmaster.com) but sherwin-williams has automotive paint stores, Napa does, and there are plenty of other paints shops around too.

I won't lie, unless you do a more expensive clear coat your single stage paint will have a fair amount of orange peel, some of the more expensive single stage paints gloss over much better, I had good luck with the low VOC Nason line.

The other thing is that the white paint will hide the blemishes, out in the sunlight the pure white is so overpowering you can't even make out the body lines, its just a blur of white that causes you to squint a lot.

roberth3850 wrote:
I go along with Robw. I am planning to paint my '86 Westy after a bunch of body work, (dings and dents on all four corners etc).
Being naturally frugal (my family says cheap) I want to do as much myself as I can. Please go into some detail on what you did and how how you did it, if you could please.
Is this something a novice could undertake? With 20 by 20 results (20 feet and 20MPH).

Thanks
R

Dings/dents - bondo, sand, bondo, sand, bondo sand etc untill you think you are done, then bondo and sand some more, then get a glazing/spot putty(make sure to get the kind that requires hardener). Use this to fill in more minor uneven spots, holes, and deep scratches. Then go over and spray several coats of high fill, rattle can high fill needs to be lightly applied many times with plenty of dry time in between. Paint gun high fill can be built up much quicker and hardeners quickly. This is good for places like the front of the van which get very heavily pitted. After the high fill come back through with a block sander wetsanding at 600 grit for a finish coat or 300-400 if you plan to spray more primer. By wetsanding with the block you will remove the transition from old paint to bodywork, and make it look seamless.

I started out being a novice too, you'll learn what it takes to get a good spray, and generally the guys at the paint shop are pretty knowledgeable and can talk you through the process.

Just remember its all in the prep work, you will spend tens of hours doing prep work, but only an hour painting. Don't get rushed and don't get anxious and your prep work will be better. I did both of those this time because I'm just willing to get something "good enough" if this was a vehicle that I was flipping I would put more care into it to make it really pop for a buyer.

I'm sure I could on and on, there's plenty to talk about.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job sam!
I wish i could smell it and pet the dogs
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thummmper wrote:
good job sam!
I wish i could smell it and pet the dogs

LOL @ sniffing paint. Cool

Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some more of it back together and got some pics outside:

The TF-65:

Modified passenger AC, the duct actually works quite nice to blow the air up front. It's too bad the AC compressor acts like an engine brake all the time.

maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My westy 86 have been paint last summer and the job is Okay but not fantastic.
I mean the clear is quite light and the paint look like quite fragile.

What coud be a suggestion to strengthen the paint and clear?

A guy here told me to add a kind of plastic wax to protect the overall paint job.

Is that sounds good, or somebody have a better idea?

Thanks in advance to share ideas.

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: