Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

should i leave it alone or spray the bedliner poll
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

keep it stock or spray the bottom?
leave it alone
39%
 39%  [ 27 ]
Spray the bottom with bedliner stuff
60%
 60%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 69

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Reply with quote

scottjk wrote:
I like the looks of the black bedliner especially on a white van. Only thing I can say is check in to the material before you spray it. I used a urethane based liner instead of the epoxy liner due to UV longevity. I have been told that the epoxy liners become chalky looking after awhile.

Very valid point about resale. I took a ton of photos when I did all my work to document the fact that there was ZERO rust or damage before I sprayed it.

Scott

I prefer the front liner to go all the way around.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice lookng surf rig!
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not do the bed liner. My van was 100% stock original when I bought it. I did end up with body damage to the right lower rear when someone backed into my van. Rather than get the panel repainted, I decided to do the bedliner bit around the bottom once the bodywork was done. I would worry about hidden rust if I was looking to buy a van with bedliner on it as was previously mentioned. The bedliner looks great on though.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just a regular guy
JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to see this because I have been on the fence about this as well. I think I might do it. I have the same solid white syncro look that I like a lot!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thummmper wrote:
looks or not, you need to protect those rockers, and the black doesnt look bad. does bedliner come in light grey?
that would be badass!

The light colors dis-color I have found. Especially white yellows.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to do the same. I voted yes.

What company or brand of material are you using?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i decided to leave it alone. it was a hard decision. my reason, i wanted mine to be different. it seems like most white syncro's get the liners. good thing is if i change my mind, i can always do it later Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keyport Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had our 86' completely repainted, I planned for the black stripes you were evaluating in advance but I opted NOT to use bedliner.

Once the base and clear paint was sprayed, the painter applied a very durable and common 3M product with a smoother texture then he painted it black with a slight sheen to match the GW bumpers. Though textured, we left some areas white like around the doors and steps. If anyone is interested, he used a waterbased paint by Sikkens. There is almost zero texture to the very flat and smooth paint finish, but they took it to bare metal then applied about 10 coats of primer (amd removed about seven) before applying the paint. They polished it about three times to remove any scratches or imperfections in the paint.

The only bedliner I used was on the engine deck area unseen from the outside. We used Raptor liner for that and it has a very rough glossy texture. I made a full width sound deading mat that is extremely effective to cover the engine bay 95% of the time so the sight of the bedliner is not an issue.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
thummmper wrote:
looks or not, you need to protect those rockers, and the black doesnt look bad. does bedliner come in light grey?
that would be badass!

The light colors dis-color I have found. Especially white yellows.

LineX with Kevlar will not discolor.
There is an added UV protectant layer sprayed over top.

dylan
Central Syncronizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it (yet). Wait until you need to do some work on the rockers; do the repair, then cover it. Do the repairs well by the way, the rocker covers well but it's not magic.

The whole job of masking and painting the rockers will take an afternoon at most. Undoing it will take days.

cheers

Jay

http://88syncrodoka.blogspot.com/
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fashion Trends....

I've been drawn to many myself, in all honesty.
We try so hard to look different, but end up all looking the same.

I attended BurningVan this last weekend and when you see 30 vans all parked together, the close to original looks seem to stand out in the crowd.
There's a certain elegance to stock.
Funny how that works.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other options are rubberized undercoat that you paint white to match, or apply transparent mylar tape. it resists rock strikes.
maybe black conveyor belt protruding 3" horizontally would help deflect the wheel blast. it wouldnt detract from the body color any.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump!

Our 88 Westy has a not-bad body with a few dents and a bit of rust on the kitchen side and in front of the back two wheel-wells.

I'd like to get the full repaint/body treatment done, but it's going to be a year or two to save up for it.

Question:

How much harder will it be for the bodyperson/prepper (likely me) to get ready for a later complete respray if the lower area is done in the meantime with bedliner? Of course I'd clean it up before the bedliner, but there will likely be new rear wheelwells later, and probably cleanup once again on the kitchen wall.

Will I be making things difficult for myself?

Thanks!

----

Kathy
88 Westy
offroad.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may be different across the water but in the uk blacking the bottom of cars was common in the late 70`s and 80`s to hide the rust and filler so for me its a no.

have you not got a product that will not only protect but can also be painted over this way you get the best of both worlds surelly. of coarse if you like the 2 tone scheme the why stop 9 inches up. be bold.

lee.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: