Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Cooling Flaps - Where might one get them?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morris_82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Air Cooling Flaps - Where might one get them? Reply with quote

My camper special is frustratingly close to being finished. The CS is awesome, but Morris' PO left a nice surprise:

I was getting ready to install the cooling tin and realized I have no thermostat, no bracket, no cable/pulley, and--worst of all--no cooling flaps in the fan shroud. Scouring the internets, I was able to get all the parts I need except the flaps.

1. On the off chance I find a parts-van somewhere, would I have to drop the engine to get the flaps/shroud out of it?

2. Where else might one get some of these babies?

3. Can they be fabricated easily? It's "just" a rod and some sheet metal, right?

I know some airheads run without the flaps, but I don't want to get into that discussion. I want me some flow control!

Thanks all!

Proud Owner of:
Morris - '82 Westy (RIP)
Milo - '86 Weekender
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam...you can try Interstate Auto out of Southern California or Averys Air Cooled Parts. Both are real nice VW folks to deal with.
Check out the parts section here on Samba...go back about a week/ten days??? as Averys listed some air cooled tin and a few other items you might be in the market for.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrates on the CS kit. I want an update when you get it running. Try Busted bus:

http://bustedbus.com/Default.aspx

I think the flaps are the same as on the bay.
Morris_82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome info, gents. Thanks. Looks like all those sources have what I need and way more.

Also, I got a few hits on my wanted ad, which was a very pleasant surprise. I guess these things aren't as rare as I feared. I can see the light at the end of the engine-rebuild tunnel! I'll let you know how it goes.

Proud Owner of:
Morris - '82 Westy (RIP)
Milo - '86 Weekender
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Morris_82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a poor assumption. I figured the T4 buses used the same flaps as the T4 Vanagon. I have since learned otherwise (by word of mouth -er- email), but can find no hard proof. Are they the same or different?

Proud Owner of:
Morris - '82 Westy (RIP)
Milo - '86 Weekender
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are the same.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92999&highlight=cooling+flaps
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As simple as it is, you're probably better off getting the factory parts rather than trying to make something. It's been awhile since I've set one up on a Bay bus, but as I recall everything has to operate pretty smoothly for the little bellows to work properly.

If you can't find the pulley, mine was all rusted and I found a suitable replacement at the home improvement store. The replacement wheels they sell for sliding patio doors is about the right diameter, has a bearing in the center, and mounted up perfectly on my '73 engine with the stock bolt. The one you want has a concave radius on the wheel that the cable will ride in nicely.

Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: