Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for pics: camper windows on a tin top.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Looking for pics: camper windows on a tin top. Reply with quote

I'm considering putting Westfalia camper windows on my 1990 hard top. I could use the screens and I think they look kinda cool. Only downside I can think of is they don't open up as much.

Anybody with pics of this or opinions? On the same token has anybody put passenger windows in their Westfalia, and if so why? Thanks.

-Rob
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the D/S center camper window into my syncro tin top. The don't open up as much but the screens are nice to get air and keep the bugs out while sleeping. I don't have pictures of it but it looks like the rest of the windows.
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a window screen that a friend of mine bought for his westy and then realized that it was meant for a passenger van window. If you search I'm sure you could find a screen for yours as well. I didn't even realize that the windows were different until my friend gave me the screen.

I hardly notice the difference in windows unless I'm looking at a westy and a passenger van right next to each other so I don't really get why you'd do it for "styling purposes" The only reason I'd do it is if I broke mine and found a screaming deal on a Westy one, but maybe that's just me. Kind of seems like a lot of time, effort, and $$ for not much gain.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camper windows have the latch in the middle and a passenger van has the latch at the front. This different latch position is why the screen can be left installed full time on a camper making it more convenient to use.
I have never seen a original screen for a passenger van, just campers. I have seen aftermarket versions that need to be removed and installed for use while the OG camper version can be left in full time but it needs to be used with a camper window. I would like to see pictures of what you have.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen early Riviera campers have screens for the passenger style windows, they screw on from the outside of the van and look downright ghetto.

My windows will be removed for painting either way and I have access to cheap camper windows so the effort isn't much a factor. As far as styling not being noticeable, I suppose that's in the eye of the beholder as they make very different, yet subtle statements to me. Plus don't all Vanagon owners love fretting over small details?

-Rob
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree that the ASI Screens are less than attractive.
I usually keep mine removed and reinstall when setting up camp, takes less than 1minute to grab it and install the 4 screws.
I also at that time deploy my front door window screenz.

but on mom's 86 Westy we installed Bay bus Jalousie windows.
much greater ventillation, can be open even in the rain and have a full size insect screening.

Note that in the slider that 85+ have a smaller slider window size, even in the campers and will not accept the Bay jalousie modification.

We haven't treated the framing yet, but you could use methods to black out the aluminum frame for a sleeker look, incl applying tint to the glass.
I've seen a jalousie full blacked out & tinted and looks nice

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
much greater ventillation, can be open even in the rain and have a full size insect screening.

Note that in the slider that 85+ have a smaller slider window size, even in the campers and will not accept the Bay jalousie modification.

Is this a typo? I'm confused. Shocked Maybe I'm misreading it, but it says to me that you did the mod in your mom's '86, but that you can't do the mod on vans newer than '85. I've got a Bay jalousie and a couple Westy 1/3-2/3 windows. I really want the screened ventilation in the rear bed area, and I don't want to carry around screens to install in the campground. I've debated whether to do the Westy sliders in the rear two positions and the Jalousie in the middle like you did on your mom's, but that would involved cutting the frames and having glass made. I think the slider would still open sufficiently. That would also give the kids a slider at the bench seat, which I like.

Paul
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By slider, he means the sliding door. You can't do the jalousie mod to the sliding door of the later vans.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful if you do put sliding windows on the rear passenger side, someone's arm (or anything sticking out the window) could be crushed when the sliding door is opened. not as likely if the screens are in place, but still something to think about. Some of the South African vans had sliding rear windows, but they wont fit in US market vans because they are too big.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foodeater wrote:
By slider, he means the sliding door. You can't do the jalousie mod to the sliding door of the later vans.

Oh yeah... that makes sense. I was thinking "slider" meaning sliding vs. fixed window. The door didn't even occur to me.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful, the earlier vanagons have a different size window on the sliding door than the later vans. This coincides with the design change of the sliding door some time in '85.

Make sure you get the camper windows that fit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justcairns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got ASI screens on my slider windows and really like them. Keep them on there all the time. Nice to keep the windows cracked open whether in the the parking lot at the store, or camping, or just to have a little ventilation, and don't have to worry about the bugs getting inside. 84 GL, weekender interior, tin tip. Doesn't look ghetto.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justcairns wrote:
I've got ASI screens on my slider windows...Doesn't look ghetto.

Lets see 'em.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
VanagOnly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I was under the impression that the Jalousie windows needed a mod to fit.I would like to do this also and wondering how you did it.Not trying to hijack the thread but the info would be pertinent.
76 Jeep Wagoneer-RIP
67 Bug Dad's Daily-Project
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanagOnly wrote:
Quote:

I was under the impression that the Jalousie windows needed a mod to fit.I would like to do this also and wondering how you did it.Not trying to hijack the thread but the info would be pertinent.

Here you go:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283728&highlight=jalousie

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: