Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shortening axles??
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
traviswx1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Shortening axles?? Reply with quote

Has anyone shortened axles and got a good, straight product in the end? I have 18 3/4 axles and need them to be 17 1/2 for my 2x3 arms. I cut a segment out of one and welded it back together but it was not straight enough... Any input would be apreciated! I kinda helped a guy do the one axle but he was in too much of a rush and it ended up off.. Free work prolly means it WONT work. I guess I get what I pay for!
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about stock VW axles or aftermarket torsion bar axle such as SwayAway's?
Never seen anyone cut an axle in the center and weld back together.
Aftermarket ones can be trimmed on the ends and snap ring groove can be recut.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cant cut and reweld then they will be off balamce and if they are centered they need to be able to twist.

Find a machinist to trim them down,You will have to buy the next longest size then have cut to length.if you are in Lodi you amy want to try looking up grose racing hes an engine builder but a damn good machinist too and can definitely cut them down for you.I dont have his number but hes off houston street right off the freeway.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
traviswx1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about using stock axles and cutting them because I dont think they twist much. And it makes sense to use longer aftermarkets and cutting them because they usually come with more spline. Thanks for your guys input. I may just have to end up buying a set of sway a ways because it may cost more to have one shortened. I would be able to do it if I had the right machinist tools(Lathe w/center stock).
MiketheSpike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about this a few months ago . . .
So, I was talking with a friend of mine who works in a truck shop (tractor trailers). He said the have drive shafts and axle shafts and such with break and they have a guy who comes in and welds them back together. He wraps them in pink fiberglass insulation over night. Anyways, apparently he does good work b/c they have him come frequently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traviswx1 wrote:
I was talking about using stock axles and cutting them because I dont think they twist much. And it makes sense to use longer aftermarkets and cutting them because they usually come with more spline. Thanks for your guys input. I may just have to end up buying a set of sway a ways because it may cost more to have one shortened. I would be able to do it if I had the right machinist tools(Lathe w/center stock).

if not the twist they will be out of balance that you you will feel esp at higher speeds.I had mine trimmed by a machinist i use here for like 20 bucks may have been less i had them done 2 years ago.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVen if you balanced them and got them perfectly straight they would be weak as hell. I would be surprised if you could drive the thing offroad at all with a cut and welded axle, no matter the skill or method of the welder.
traviswx1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that the stock bus axles would twist, Or that the weld would break on a stock bus axle. Those welds are crazy strong, I beveled the cut ends and got full weld penetration, just couldnt get it straight. But i may be unaware of the torsional load my car can produce with a pretty much stock 1600..
Thanks for the input though..
I want to get sway a ways but im just broke and wanted to find a cheaper route.. Although I still want to test the strength of a welded axle, if its straight and balanced I bet it would hold up..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: