Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

second on the AC and radio console, have the same setup in my '86. I find it to be a great spot for the radio, you can just barely get a tape into the player past the locker controls.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great acquisition Jeff! That is going to be a rocking camper for you and family! Very Happy

I cleaned my poptop with cleanser and water....Bar Keepers Friend. It was alot of work, but it came really clean.

BTW, Mine had about half the mice turds that it looks and sounds like this one does. I sterilized it by spraying white vinegar mixed with water. I let it sit for a bit, and then with gloves, mask and many rags wiped it all down. I removed all the cabinets, bed, and found turds behind and under the reefer. Glad I did that now!

Enjoy!
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffDenson wrote:
What is the best way to clean the roof on the inside?
I Used bleach and water, covered all the seats and cabinetry, sprayed with a fine mist and just let it sit until the mold disappeared. Some others have attempted similar things......Just did a simple search for you "Cleaning the Fuzz" Very Happy
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=cleaning+the+fuzz&search_forum=20
I have a low miles 91 Westy non syncro that I will trade you Wink
nod7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on the boards here for Tilex. Easy to use, not much work, does a great job and you don't have to worry about mold/mildew in that spot again.
House Battery, Yandina, Xantrex & Atwood Install
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod7 wrote:
Do a search on the boards here for Tilex. Easy to use, not much work, does a great job and you don't have to worry about mold/mildew in that spot again.
Tilex, like X-14 shower cleaner is primarily bleach and water Wink only 500x more expensive than bleach. About 1/2 inch of bleach in the bottom of a spray bottle, then fill with water......reapply as necessary.

Let air dry for a couple days then spray liberally with some Febreze Idea
nod7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more to it then that. Tilex, as I said before, will prevent the mold and mildew from comming back.
House Battery, Yandina, Xantrex & Atwood Install
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff, has it sunk in yet what a awesome find this was? The more you learn about these vans, the more you'll realize just how lucky you are. Looking forward to more pictures. Good luck and have fun.
JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FNGRUVN wrote:
Hey Jeff, has it sunk in yet what a awesome find this was? The more you learn about these vans, the more you'll realize just how lucky you are. Looking forward to more pictures. Good luck and have fun.
All I knew is that it looked cool! Now I am feeling a little guilty but totally jacked that I have it. I think I am going to give the lady more trade value.
I can't wait to get it going and camping at the lake! I hope I can get a chance to meet all you guys on here at a camping event. Its just to much to look forward to! Very Happy

Does any one know anything about Transporterwerks.com do they do good work? I noticed they have some conversion packages, and they are local for me.
For the fur on the roof I have some Mothers boat seat cleaner that does a great job at removing mold & mildew. It also will not dry out the material. I will post some after pics!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I moved the trade value to $5,000. They have been such good customers I wanted to make it fair.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering your trading work for the syncro I guess it's subjective. Full syncro westys are incredibly hard to find. But this one has been really neglected and has seam rust. I saw a rusty syncro westy go fr something like 4k on eBay not to long ago. So your not screwing them.
So I assume 5k is what you would charge? Meaning a 5k job might only cost you 3k? So your still way ahead!
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not feel the least bit guilty about the deal you made. They are adults, they new what they had, they were not using it and obviously had no emotional attachment, it was being neglected, you have lots of work ahead of you to undo what has been done. Enjoy the van.
________oo_oo
/ /__/___[_____\
I I======[]IIIII[]
()_)------()_)----)_)
JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williamtaylor33 wrote:
Considering your trading work for the syncro I guess it's subjective. Full syncro westys are incredibly hard to find. But this one has been really neglected and has seam rust. I saw a rusty syncro westy go fr something like 4k on eBay not to long ago. So your not screwing them.
So I assume 5k is what you would charge? Meaning a 5k job might only cost you 3k? So your still way ahead!
Probably only cost me $200 in material but its 10 days of work spread out over 2 years. Not to bad!
JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod7 wrote:
There's more to it then that. Tilex, as I said before, will prevent the mold and mildew from comming back.
Tilex is amazing thanks for that one! Very Happy Very Happy I will post some pics soon.
JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay she is running thanks to Stephen Weiler who happens to be a vanagon expert and my neighbor Laughing He is a really neat guy and I think he is as excited about it as I am! Its running but not good.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - great job. I guess now you're at the stage where you need to be cautious that something's not getting damaged that needs attention. Yet you need to run it a bit to see what's going on with the engine and drivetrain that needs to be worked on.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove it just for a second and notice my viscus coupler is not working. Today I am going to take out the fr drive shaft so I can get it to Steve house for some tune up work!
JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Steve got to the drive shaft before I did and he said that it was not the VC that it could be a the rear locker tends to have control issues with the vacuum lines leaking and moisture getting into the actuator. He says not a big deal to fix. The van is running very good now just need to weld up some exhaust leaks. Very excited!
86syncrowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our westy had a lot of mice poop too, I suggest like the others have, pull the sink/fridge cabinet to get to that rust and clean for mouse droppings - they love the hidden nooks back there.

Also, pull the underseat heater cover off, there will be poop there too.

Check the air ducts prior to firing off the fan, you'll get a rude surprise in your lap.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a mousy nest in the headliner of my truck Shocked . Those little buggers will make a house anywhere.
JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Steve said we should take the dash out to to make sure the mice have not made nest behind all that stuff.
He also told me that my van is a not a US van that it is a German van. It has Caravelle on the back (probably spelled wrong). It does not have the silver tag on the door? All in all the Van is coming together very well. I hope to start driving it around in a few weeks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: