Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing 2.5" Drop Spindles On A '64 Bug With Drums
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean Michel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say that for those wanting to do this modification to their bug and want to fit the Porsche 356 brakes, that it can be done with the early 356 A Brakes only (small modification to the spindle or backing plate required) Dropped Spindles will not work with 356 B brakes as the backing plates for these are very diffrent to the 356 A brakes, which are diffrent again to the early 356 A Brakes! The B brakes are 1 cm larger in diameter to the A brakes and drums and backing plates can not be interchanged!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do most shops charge to press in the bushings and hone them out? I need to buy the drop spindles, new bushings, and new king/link pins. Is that everything?
DarinNDebra1961VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Nice job on the dropped spindles Reply with quote

Im in the middle of the exact same part of my project car. I bought the dropped spindles and wide 5 disc brakes from CB. I tell you one thing...CB sells some nice stuff. Its exactly what I expected when I placed the order. I had bought a narrowed beam from EMPI as CB was out of theirs. As luck would have it (should have known better) the EMPI beam was junk. I blasted and powder coated the beam and when I got it under the car...well....Whoever did the fabrication for EMPI was on crack or something. The beam was a geometric train wreck. And what was EMPI's response??????? "We've sold hundreds of them" Well guess what guys.....you're selling garbage thats gonna get someone killed....(Ive committed to take a swing at EMPI every chance I get.....no return or refund so far....so they get my wrath...
Meantime...CB got their beams back in stock....and I got one...talk about FINE......
Then came time for the king pins......I bought the pins....bought the reamer........and after a three hour ordeal (no machinist here) I bought another set of pins....and took them to a reputable ex factory vw guy in Pensacola Florida, Phetteplace VW......And should have them back in a couple of days...(and that was after I had to buy another set of king pins cuz I killed the bushings)
Im very excited about getting the car back on all fours......hopefully in the next few days !!!!
Focker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6Speed wrote:
How much do most shops charge to press in the bushings and hone them out? I need to buy the drop spindles, new bushings, and new king/link pins. Is that everything?

My local Bug shop wanted $75 per hour...Now I love to support my local shop but a machine shop down the road from them did it for less than half that price.

Your shopping list sounds about right (the bushings should come with the link pins) as long as you include the necessary greases you're there.

'67 Type II ~ Lowering My '64 Type I
Focker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

bugdozer wrote:
...Do you have any rubbing after installing the spindles?

Yesterday I decided to lower the rear one notch (outer spline) just to level the bug. It's a simple task unless your E-Brake cable is short like mine...PITA. Some guys I know had longer cables which allowed them to swing the rear drum back and out of the way.
I think I accomplished the goal of leveling but what I didn't expect is that the rubbing up front was cut down to less than half (In my experience). I zipped around some of the same corners that I had rubbing issues and it was a lot less noticeable. If I end up running 145's up front (165's currently) it should be even less. My concern is that the "Rake" from the smaller tire diameter will cause the tires to rub again since they will be up inside the fender more.
I'm sure there is some kind of Physics involved that explains the whole thing...Obviously I'm no Biologist. Laughing

Here is a comparison shot...Starting with the lowered front.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is after the rear was completed...Yes I drove around and let everything settle.

[/url]

6Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good. im a fan of the raked look so i'll be interested to see what it looks like with the 145's.
flatair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture you posted of the spindles you bought from CIP1 shows a different spindle from what is in thier add. They show a pic of a CB spindle on their web site but ship a China spindle. Is this a "bait and switch" tactic? Shocked
72MUST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Have a 4in narrow beam ,cb dropped spindles , stock drum brakes.

Finding that steering arms on spindles interfere a bit with brake hoses as they come out of cylinders.

What has anyone else done ?

Shorten metal end of hose & use copper sealing washer against cylinder ?

Or hose for another application with a banjo bolt end ?

Or ? !
adamzoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Focker , it's help alot
http://manualfile.com/Automotive/Volkswagen/
Focker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamzoto wrote:
thanks Focker , it's help alot

Glad you were able to use the post!

cmdog73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is mine before:[img]
[/img]
cmdog73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here it is after:[img]
[/img]
Focker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang cmdog73...You dumped that mother...Looks good!

hank1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Drop Spindles Reply with quote

Good explanation of how to install the spindles,did mine this weekend,the only thing is I purchased mine with the link bushing and king pins already installed.
DukeBradbury
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmdog73 wrote:
And here it is after:[img]
[/img]

I like how it sits!

What did you finally end up doing?

How narrow did you go up front?
What is your settings in the rear?

Tire size?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fuelrags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HMMM!,looks like alot of work. Does anybody knows who sells pre-assembled lowered link-pin spindles...."plug and play".......
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I saw your post and took your advise and think the Drop Spindles are the way to go. I went to www2.cip1.com and found the set I like and an upgrade to disk brakes. What does wide "5 205mm" mean (see link)? I have a stock 64 Vert with drum brakes. Will this set cause any issues? Will "Wide" cause a problem with rubbing and such?

Also does anyone know were I can get a "full" kit to replace all of the components on the front end of a 64 Vert? I saw the "Complete Stock King-Pin Front Beam Assembly" on CIP but it is not avaialble or does not link to anythink.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D22%2D2925

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.

Last edited by tb03830 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
BerylGreen63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:
Hey, I saw your post and took your advise and think the Drop Spindles are the way to go. I went to www2.cip1.com and found the set I like and an upgrade to disk brakes. What does wide "5 205mm" mean (see link)? I have a stock 64 Vert with drum brakes. Will this set cause any issues? Will "Wide" cause a problem with rubbing and such?

Also does anyone know were I can get a "full" kit to replace all of the components on the front end fo 64 Vert? I saw the "Complete Stock Kink-Pin Front Beam Assembly" on CIP but it is not avaialble or does not like to anythink.

Wide 5 is a reference for the bolt pattern which is the stock bolt pattern for your car it has nothing to do with the track width of the wheels. I have installed the cip1 spindles with help for this tutorial and the shim chart. I suggest getting an alignment after you install the spindles. As for the disc brake kit i have never used or installed one but the process should be similar just changing out the backing plate for the disc brake install and running the lines and bleeding the system.
BerylGreen63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:

Also does anyone know were I can get a "full" kit to replace all of the components on the front end fo 64 Vert? I saw the "Complete Stock Kink-Pin Front Beam Assembly" on CIP but it is not avaialble or does not like to anythink.

http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Linkpin_front_end_beams_for_VW_Volkswagen_Bug_p/linkpinbeams.htm
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Sorry, I was little too quick on the question.

The right question should have been, Does anyone know where I can find a kit to replace all of the steering rods and components on the front end to include the gaskets on the spindles and arms without piece-meeling it? Basically I trust nothing on the front end except the beam and the Arms due a PO's lack of service. Almost all of the balls are bad and I think the steering box is also bad. I plan on keeping this a very long time and want perfection on safety and trust. I also plan on using drop spindles but not an adjustable beam.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: