Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting my fastback in tune.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanRodman wrote:
So i got off work early today so i had some light to do some checking. I hooked up my tach dwell meter and found the dwell to be 56* and when i checked timing it was at 31* at IDLE! WTF, its supposed to be 31* at 3000 rpm or full advance right?? So tomorow im gonna re set dwell and timing and see what that does. So unless im checking timing wrong i think that could help. To set timing i turn the dial on my gun to 31 and line up to top dead center on my pulley, right? I dont want to re set it to find out the shop had it right and i just dont know how to use my gun Shocked . I wasnt able to check my fuel pressure because my gauge doesnt go that low Sad . So would having timing at 31* at idle be to advanced, or retarded?
Thanks for any input!

Set the dwell first. Try to get it at or just under 50 if you can. Then set the timing. You're on the right track, but I prefer to use 30 for total advance at 3000 rpm. Set you gun like you mentioned, make sure you've got the TDC line for timing (most have several lines starting at 5btdc, and then moving past tdc to atdc), then rev the engine to 3000 rpms, and shoot the gun at the mark. You should see it, if not, you'll have to reset the distributor (either twisting left or right) until you do see the TDC line. Once you have that, lock the dist down, and let the idle timing fall to where it will. Note, you can dial your timing light down to see what you have at idle, once the engine is idling. This will just give you an idea of how advanced the 009 is at idle.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
One thing I do notice, is that you have the wrong points in both of those distributors.
Also, make sure that the mechanical advance is working properly.

If you want, send me your distributor, and I will trade for a rebuilt plus $ for a good distributor.
Right now, due to health problems, I am getting a little behind in my work.

Russ.....are you not drinking enough? I can send you a bottle of single barrel whiskey if it helps.....hope you feel better... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that was what I needed.
But part of the problem is I do not have the kidneys anymore to handle it.
Radiation Therapy sucks.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RyanRodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
RyanRodman wrote:
So i got off work early today so i had some light to do some checking. I hooked up my tach dwell meter and found the dwell to be 56* and when i checked timing it was at 31* at IDLE! WTF, its supposed to be 31* at 3000 rpm or full advance right?? So tomorow im gonna re set dwell and timing and see what that does. So unless im checking timing wrong i think that could help. To set timing i turn the dial on my gun to 31 and line up to top dead center on my pulley, right? I dont want to re set it to find out the shop had it right and i just dont know how to use my gun Shocked . I wasnt able to check my fuel pressure because my gauge doesnt go that low Sad . So would having timing at 31* at idle be to advanced, or retarded?
Thanks for any input!

Set the dwell first. Try to get it at or just under 50 if you can. Then set the timing. You're on the right track, but I prefer to use 30 for total advance at 3000 rpm. Set you gun like you mentioned, make sure you've got the TDC line for timing (most have several lines starting at 5btdc, and then moving past tdc to atdc), then rev the engine to 3000 rpms, and shoot the gun at the mark. You should see it, if not, you'll have to reset the distributor (either twisting left or right) until you do see the TDC line. Once you have that, lock the dist down, and let the idle timing fall to where it will. Note, you can dial your timing light down to see what you have at idle, once the engine is idling. This will just give you an idea of how advanced the 009 is at idle.

I just re ser dwell and timing! i got dwell set at 45* and timing at 30* at 3000 rpm which was 9* at idle. Took it for a test drive and seemed fine on power and almost seemed smoother. The real test i guess will be trying to start it after a hot run.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't start after a Hot run was vapor lock of the mechanical fuel pump on my stock 67 square @ Rest Stops in CA! I thought about putting an electric fuel pump on it to cure the problem, but never did.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RyanRodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Won't start after a Hot run was vapor lock of the mechanical fuel pump on my stock 67 square @ Rest Stops in CA! I thought about putting an electric fuel pump on it to cure the problem, but never did.
I have an electric pump and it seems like 75% of the time when i go to start it when warm it just sits and primes with ignition on, like its loosing fuel pressure or something as it sits. When i start it cold in the morning it doesnt prime and it starts right up instantly every time.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your forcing in too much gas and flooding it?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RyanRodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Maybe your forcing in too much gas and flooding it?
Thats part of what i believe the problem is, im considering going to a mecahnical pump. I just dont have the means at the time to check how much pressure my elctric pump is actually puting out.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a water pressure gauge and a couple barbed fuel nipples at Home Depot to check my fuel pressure for $10?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

RyanRodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I just bought a water pressure gauge and a couple barbed fuel nipples at Home Depot to check my fuel pressure for $10?
I had a gauge sort of like that which used the gauge from a pneumatic paint sprayer that i used to scheck fuel pressure when i had injection, but it doesnt read as low as the 2 psi i need for these webers.
RyanRodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So im gonna go to a mechanical pump as suggested. I read a type 1 pump works fine, do these all look right? Is there anything else ill need?
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D127%2D025%2DABC
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D127%2D303
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D127%2D307
I read about stacking gaskets to get lower fuel pressure. Will i need to do this or will i already be getting proper fuel pressure for my webers? Would it be the upper or lower gasket that u add? CIP1 doesnt carry extra gaskets so i might cut my own from universal gasket material from my FLAPS.
Thanks
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need gaskets, let me know. I have a gasket junk box, that I throw all my left over gaskets into.
Pay the postage and they are your, as many as you need.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RyanRodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
If you need gaskets, let me know. I have a gasket junk box, that I throw all my left over gaskets into.
Pay the postage and they are your, as many as you need.

Ya, id be interested in some extra gaskets. I can send u $ via paypal to cover postage and such. Any insight if the pump, flange, and pushrod i gave links to will work with my set up? Id like to order parts tonight so i can get them by next weekend.
Thanks
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hook you up with the block, and the gaskets, but not with a pump.
Also, there are 2 different length rods depending which pump you use.
I can supply either, but need to know which pump.
What I can do, is supply one of each, and then you have a choice. They will be used rods, but the used ones last forever, unless they have been ground on.
PM me off the list and I will see what I can hook you up with.

RyanRodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i was able to check my fuel pressure today. It was just over 3.5psi which i read is high for these carbs. I want 2-2.5, correct? I also got a mechanical pump with matching flange and pushrod that i plan to install tommorrow. My first question is which port on the pump is which, in and out? Also currently the throttle spring and balance tube are fitted to the AAR, which ill have to remove for the pump, so where should i attach the balance tube?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks
RyanRodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put the mechanical pump in and it tested at like 8 psi, i stacked up 4 thick cardboard gaskets and its only down to 6 psi, what else can i do besides stacking 4 more gaskets?
thanks
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may have the wrong rod in the pump. I used the same set up in and 73 square first I had a rod that was to long and had problems installed a shorts one and it ran fine. Nice car If you need more help let me know I don't live to fsr from you.
RyanRodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kokanee wrote:
you may have the wrong rod in the pump. I used the same set up in and 73 square first I had a rod that was to long and had problems installed a shorts one and it ran fine. Nice car If you need more help let me know I don't live to fsr from you.

I put the 4.25'' pushrod from cip1 in it, should i get a 4'' than?
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I would try that I didn't see what size I had in there I had them in my shop. If that don't work you can use a presure regulater on it to get it right.
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanRodman wrote:
So i was able to check my fuel pressure today. It was just over 3.5psi which i read is high for these carbs. I want 2-2.5, correct? I also got a mechanical pump with matching flange and pushrod that i plan to install tommorrow. My first question is which port on the pump is which, in and out? Also currently the throttle spring and balance tube are fitted to the AAR, which ill have to remove for the pump, so where should i attach the balance tube?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks

Do yourself a favor, and peen the pivot pin on that fuel pump in place. The old pumps had clips on the pivot to prevent it from moving. I have had to re-insert one on the side of the road.

Place a screwdriver on the soft aluminum housing that surrounds the pin, and strike it with a hammer. Do this several times around the pin. I have also wrapped mine with a large zip tie, 'cause I'm kind of a redneck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: