Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Found a MANX today.....
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gruven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Found a MANX today..... Reply with quote

While out looking for a new (used) motorhome today, I stopped to check one out. Behind the Winnebago was a dirty old Dune-Buggy under a tarp. Being a Volks freak, I just had to check it out and give it a "stealth peak". Above the VIN number, riveted on the fiberglass was a B.F Meyers & Co. serial number plate, (Serial #1159). It appears to be on a shortened '62 pan. Behind the chassis stamp is a "Pennsylvania Special Plate Tag", listing codes, etc., including a Mfg. serial # (SJ6717PA)
Anyways, I talked to the guy who owns it (REALLY nice guy), and it's for sale. The fiberglass seems to be in REAL nice shape, (no hits, goldish sparkle), but the little buggy sure could use a lot of TLC, mechanically and general cosmetics speaking. The seats are gone, and the motor is out of the car and VERY crusty looking. The top and frame is there, with three diamond-ish windows in the rear, again, kinda crusty.
I'm going back tomorrow to make an offer, but the figure he threw out today seemed fair for what it is..... So for KARMA's sake, I dont think I'll haggle much.
I'll post pics when it's here in the garage.
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good score! When you get closer, post up the whole Meyers serial number; I can tell you a lot about the body by that number.

Also, is is a series 1 or series 2?** The rear seat area is the giveaway: the series 1 had the battery well molded in on the passenger side, and the spare tire well on the driver's side. As the series 2 was molded after VW stopped using the swingaxle rear suspension, it needed clearance for the inner arms; the series 2 has a completely flat floor where the seat bottom rests.
** I assume it's a series 1, if that '62 pan is the one it's been on for its whole life.

btw, my '68 Manx series 1 is on a shortened '63 chassis. The full serial number is M1689D815E, and I am Manx Club member # 1687. Cool

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
gruven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to check out the Manx II again today, this time I brought my camera. Check out the pics in "MY GALLERY"
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

don't worry, the ciggaret is fake.
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree; if the price is right, and it's a tagged Manx II, jump on it. At most northeast events, I get the privelidge of being the only one with a real Manx(I've only been near 2 or 3 others at the most). Having a fun vehicle like a dune buggy is pretty cool, but having one with historical significance makes it even better. Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave C.
MCM # 1689
Unrestored '68 Series I Manx

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
gruven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first came across it, I called Meyers' in Calif., Winnie told me it was a Manx II, manufactured after Bruce left the company. The "B.F. Meyers & Co." serial # plate is rivited to the car in the correct place, and is a four digit number (#1159). There are a bunch of photos of it in my gallery.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: