Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 and 1.9 AFM interchangeability
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: 2.1 and 1.9 AFM interchangeability Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Just idle curiosity here - are the 2.1 and 1.9 AFMs electrically and mechanically interchangeable? I'm 99% sure electrically, yes, but not so sure about the mechanicals.

A samba search yielded the following conflicting statements:

SouthOlive wrote:
I tried putting the 2.1 AFM on the 1.9 airbox, but the mounting flange doesn't match (the AFM is too big).

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=409659

tencentlife wrote:
The aircooled AFM contains the fuel pump switching contacts. Other than that, it is the same instrument as the Digijet and Digifant units, which can actually be exchanged with each other (the only difference being the output spigot diameter).

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108608

Does anyone have a definitive word on this?
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take is that you can use the 2.1 AFM with the 2.1 Thottle body on a 2.1 phlenum with digijet on an 1.9. They all bolt together. There is a mod needed to mount the later plenum on a 1.9 case and you will need to mod the switch wires for the 2.1 throttle body.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All correct, but to add that the AFM has to stay with its air filter box. The rectangular mounting dimensions are in fact different, but you could get past that. The problem is the position and angle of the AFM changes, and the AFM's are different lengths as well. Basically, if you want to go to late intake system, the most practical way is to do the whole thing, or at least make everything 2.1 from the plenum back to the airbox. There's no real penalty in staying with 1.9 runners for a 2.1 or 2.2, in fact they probably improve the midrange torque a bit, being slightly smaller.

The plenum mounting tabs differ because the crankcases changed, you can weld on suitable adapting tabs or do like some I've seen, bend the tabs up and let the runners carry the plenum, it's pretty damn rigid that way I gotta say.

But I just remembered, here's the rub: if you want to go late intake on early cooling, and you have to use the late airbox to use the late AFM and so on, the air box pushes hard up against the main radiator coolant hoses where they run vertically down to the right of the bellhousing. I took a 2.1 airbox and heated it up to form it around the hoses, it's doable but I chose not to do it because it was for a customer. There would be rubbing contact of hoses and airbox at that place, there's only so far you can deform the airbox and still fit the stock filter element in it.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the replies, guys. That pretty much says it all (or at least enough):
AFMs fit only their version of air box, and there is an interference problem with a 2.1 air box with the 1.9 cooling...

My only added bit is that after the S bend boot (which pretty much has to match the AFM), parts are interchangeable. My air intake is 1.9 until the TB, and from the TB on it is all 2.1....
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so fast WBX, I don't think the S boot is interchangeable. I think the 2.1 components are are all a little larger in diameter. Thats why you need the 2.1 plenum and throttle body with the AFM and airbox. The S boot is a little larger, too. I think you need to change all the complonents to have everything fit well.

If you are doing what you discribe, then one end of your S boot is possibly not fitting well depending on which one you are using (1.9 or 2.1)

hans
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked Van-Cafe's website and there are different part #'s for the intake boots. I suspect that the using the 2.1 AFM would also mean the possible need for the 2.1 "vanagon syndrom" patch on the harness. for some reason my '85 digijet has the patch. Tencent and others commented that the patch doesn't hurt even if it is not needed and I never took it off.

Hans
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
Not so fast WBX, I don't think the S boot is interchangeable. I think the 2.1 components are are all a little larger in diameter.

Well, i have a 1.9 boot on a 2.1 throttle body. Yes it was indeed tight at first, but rubber is stretchy and it has been on there for several years. Now, having said that, i am going to start investigating some potential vacuum leaks, so maybe it has finally given up the ghost? The 2.1 intake S boot is *definitely* different than the 1.9 S boot (much bigger and with a larger offset).

-Damon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: