Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro DE Mayo East
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric.H,
What's your opinion of Uwharrie as a possible venue?
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trihartsfield wrote:
Here is another. It is private and seems expensive.

http://www.coalcreekohv.com/

They are having a Mog Fest in early May. Camping is per person which is not expensive for one per nite, 2nd, 3rd nites cheaper. Would be expensive for families as kids have to pay too. They call it Land Permits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on board with an east coast syncro event.
If its fairly close to New England I'd like to help.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herr Motorspiele wrote:
Alaric.H,
What's your opinion of Uwharrie as a possible venue?
It is OK but I am open to all possibilities
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know the location your thinking but there is a really cool offroad park in Hot Springs Arkansas.
http://www.orvpark.com/
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I called Anvil Rock ORV park and talked with a fella named Curtis. Real nice guy and was very helpful when I was describing what we're looking to do. We talked about some options for hosting an event there such as: camping, port-o-johns, etc.
It's all primitive camping and he said the trails are a nice mix from hardcore crawling to scenic and moderate. So plenty of options for all drivers. The Greenbriar river is adjacent to the park so tubing, fishing, and paddling would also be an option. He was familiar with both Rausch Creek and Uwharrie.
He is going to discuss with the Vice Pres. and have him follow up with me to get an idea of cost, scheduling options, etc.
He asked about dates and I said probably May or June.

Waiting on a call back from the VP.

Very Happy
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:
http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/index.php

Wasn't this the place where Brady & co. were testing the Bostig engine installs?

I believe that they did their testing, and Brady rolled his Syncro at Paragon Adventure Park in Hazelton Pa. which is now closed.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbeaulie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anvil Rock ORV park

Only 6 hours from my home in Cincinnati. I would definitely make the drive if I can get the van together in time. Gas tank, engine, and tranny are all on the garage floor at the moment!

Jake

87 Syncro hardtop
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Arkansas too far West for me. I thought we were talking Central Eastern USA. I wouldn't go that far West to come all the way back North and East. I'll just keep watching to see where you decide. I'm sad Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Sorry Arkansas too far West for me. I thought we were talking Central Eastern USA. I wouldn't go that far West to come all the way back North and East. I'll just keep watching to see where you decide. I'm sad Sad

Daizee,

It is. West Virgina
73thingsale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Vannie people from NC Reply with quote

The Anvil Rock location looks promising, about 3 hours 45 mins from PTI airport in GSO. I haven't got a syncro yet, but I could make that trip and maybe talk my brother into going w/ his 87 tintop syncro.

The trip can be done mostly interstate, or a more adventurous state route jaunt. I'm interested, and will await the final destination. I've never been to Anvil Rock, but the website looks pretty nice.

http://www.anvilrockorvpark.com/index.htm

Obviously, I don't have a stake in this adventure since I'm not a current syncro owner, but if it's that close to home, I could attend and bring a camera. Smile
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed I thought someone said Hot Springs, Arkansas.

West By God Virginia is more reasonable for me. Ok I'll pay attention now Laughing I looked at the web site and maps and that's doable for me, now depends on when. Only because I am fascinated by WBGV!! Remember I'm only a 2WD but I'm still fairly gutsy, have a camera and helmet too Laughing
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herr Motorspiele wrote:
So I called Anvil Rock ORV park and talked with a fella named Curtis. Real nice guy and was very helpful when I was describing what we're looking to do. We talked about some options for hosting an event there such as: camping, port-o-johns, etc.
It's all primitive camping and he said the trails are a nice mix from hardcore crawling to scenic and moderate. So plenty of options for all drivers. The Greenbriar river is adjacent to the park so tubing, fishing, and paddling would also be an option. He was familiar with both Rausch Creek and Uwharrie.
He is going to discuss with the Vice Pres. and have him follow up with me to get an idea of cost, scheduling options, etc.
He asked about dates and I said probably May or June.

Waiting on a call back from the VP.

Did you ever hear back from the VP?

Very Happy

JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to come if I can get her ready.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That's like me>> I'll be there if mine is behaving! Laughing
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to the VP yesterday and discussed options for hosting an event and he's very open to the idea. He said they had lots of trails (varying difficulty), a private primitive camping area, fire pits, etc. We both thought it would be best to form a scouting party to check it out before locking in an event. He said we can camp that night so who's up for a roadtrip? Smile
They do a lot of military training, driving schools, etc. so we talked about options like a recovery workshop, or maybe a guided trail ride. I think he said their property is only a couple hundred acres but some of the trails in the GWNF are nearby plus there are lots of old mining/logging roads in the area. There's a small town, Lewisburg, up the road which he said was sort of neat and the Greenbriar river is real close.
I think this is it: http://www.4x4bcds.com/training-facility.html

Price could vary and he'd cover the port-o-jons and the workshops. Couple options were rent the facility for ~$500 plus a $x per person kind of thing. He said he basically needs around $750 for a weekend to make it worth his time. I estimated ~15-20 vans???
It all depends on how we did it.

I asked him about some of the other sites suggested above and he wasn't pushy trying to sell me which was cool. He said they may not be what we're looking for so we'd just have to come see it. Wink
We discussed:
Tellico is probably closed forever: Trout Unlimited and eco-warriors.
Paragon is closed.
Rausch Creek is cool, lots of wheeling options but pricey, ok camping.
Uwharrie is cool, especially for camping and outdoor activities, overall trails aren't as hardcore.

What month is everyone thinking? That's a factor for me.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me early mid June or earlier is GREAT but I realize not everyone is retired. But is it possible if its June (early) that the kids could be pulled from school on a Friday and/or Monday and perhaps they could do a talk back at school about their adventure?

I'd need an approximation of costs as I'm on fixed income but I don't need fancy camping as I can be self sufficient for 3 or 4 days.

I am Eastin Down by mid late June and would prefer to have this at the start so I can head back North and East. I understand that the majority will rule but I will pout if I have to miss it. Laughing Looking forward to more details. I'd like to go on some challenging 2 WD trails at least once and maybe tag along on a fascinating syncro if possible. I'm trying not to get excited here Cool
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herr Motorspiele wrote:
I talked to the VP yesterday and discussed options for hosting an event and he's very open to the idea. He said they had lots of trails (varying difficulty), a private primitive camping area, fire pits, etc. We both thought it would be best to form a scouting party to check it out before locking in an event. He said we can camp that night so who's up for a roadtrip? Smile
They do a lot of military training, driving schools, etc. so we talked about options like a recovery workshop, or maybe a guided trail ride. I think he said their property is only a couple hundred acres but some of the trails in the GWNF are nearby plus there are lots of old mining/logging roads in the area. There's a small town, Lewisburg, up the road which he said was sort of neat and the Greenbriar river is real close.
I think this is it: http://www.4x4bcds.com/training-facility.html

Price could vary and he'd cover the port-o-jons and the workshops. Couple options were rent the facility for ~$500 plus a $x per person kind of thing. He said he basically needs around $750 for a weekend to make it worth his time. I estimated ~15-20 vans???
It all depends on how we did it.

I asked him about some of the other sites suggested above and he wasn't pushy trying to sell me which was cool. He said they may not be what we're looking for so we'd just have to come see it. Wink
We discussed:
Tellico is probably closed forever: Trout Unlimited and eco-warriors.
Paragon is closed.
Rausch Creek is cool, lots of wheeling options but pricey, ok camping.
Uwharrie is cool, especially for camping and outdoor activities, overall trails aren't as hardcore.

What month is everyone thinking? That's a factor for me.

Understand this comes from a biased point of view because I do not have a Syncro but I think that the best choice might be Uwharrie because there is not fee. The fee of $750 seems steep although I understand why he needs that much money. So I would suggest Uwharrie because it would be less cost restrictive.

Chris
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think early june would be good as well. I drive a 2wd vanagon and would attend just to see some action. I would be willing to do a little wheeling I have GW springs and 28" tires but just 1wd, was thinking about towing my beater 85 CJ7 would be fun to get yanked outa a hole by a syncro.

Where is Uwharrie? I would like to make it a long weekend and leave home fri night and return for work mon morning so hopefully its within a 6hr drive.

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I've been holding back asking where it is. where is it X2
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: