Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dispersedcamping.com - listing of free campsites
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: dispersedcamping.com - listing of free campsites Reply with quote

Friends,

I don't know if this link has been posted before; I searched and did not find it.

This is a rather amazing description of free or very low cost camping areas in the Western US. Some states are far better represented than others. Lat-long coordinates for your GPS are posted. Most have photos. It looks like a sweet resource for planing the Next Adventure.

As state budgets are increasingly hammered, maintenance of existing state parks is going downhill, while fees go uphill. It always irks me to pay to sleep outside. Sometimes it's necessary, but most times, with some creativity, it's not. This site helps keep our public lands more open and free.

www.dispersedcamping.com
redirects to:
http://www.eugenecarsey.com/camp/default.htm

Enjoy,
CJ

Last edited by climberjohn on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish there was a similiar listing for the NE States.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: dispersedcamping.com - listing of free campsites Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Friends,

I dunno if this link has been posted before; I searched and did not find it.

This is a rather amazing description of free or very low cost campgrounds in the Western US. Some states are far better represented than others. Lat-long coordinates for your GPS are posted. Most have photos. It looks like a sweet resource for planing the Next Adventure.

As state budgets are increasingly hammered, maintenance of existing state parks is going downhill, while fees go uphill. It always irks me to pay to sleep outside. Sometimes it's necessary, but most times, with some creativity, it's not. This site helps keep our public lands more open and free.

www.dispersedcamping.com
redirects to:
http://www.eugenecarsey.com/camp/default.htm

Enjoy,
CJ
Those Oregon ones have Westravaganza written all over them...Oh, and the family Laughing
epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the link. I found a couple of my favorites, but they are the kind of sites that if you didn't live there they would be hard to find.
50 Kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, this is a great resource. Thanks.
1968 Beetle (11/67)
1982 Westy
1986 Cabriolet (6/86)
WTB Air-Camping roof top mount http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1499947
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link

fwiw, there are no sites listed for Big Sur.. when actually, if you start up Nacimiento Fergusson, or Los Burros Road, there is lots of free dispersed camping, including remote actual named campsites like Alder Camp, Lottie Potrero Camp, and Alms Camp.

The easiest way to find those is to use the word campground in a google maps search of Big Sur. Or start with a known campground name, then search for "campground" in that map area, for example, I searched for Alder Creek Campground, because I know it exists from going there. Then I searched keyword campground. here are results
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=campground&f=l&a...6&z=12

if you point to the small dots, you can determine the camp name.. Alms camp is listed, so is Lottie, and many others..
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Wish there was a similiar listing for the NE States.

Just isn't that much free space, compared to the west, especially with all the BLM land and similar. When I rode my bike across country, I camped for free in plenty of places, in fact almost everywhere except the the NorthEast and the Cali coast. The later doesn't count because hiker/biker spots were $0.50 (1984). And camping with a few people on bikes is much easier than with a big box of a vehicle!
John
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heyo Jon_slider,

That is an extremely cool tip for us map-camp geeks, thanks!

Google Maps and Earth never cease to amaze me, seems like I find new features on it every week.

Great tip!
-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClimberJohn, excellent post. This site is getting bookmarked. Thx.

Not to sound like a camp-geek, but we should all practice low-impact when using these sites so they remain open and accessible.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aswah posted this one a bit ago, but nice to bring it out for others to see again since these things tend to get lost and buried. Thanks for sharing it. I too see an opportunity to get the families out locally.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: