Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how do you deal with depression?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endicott jb
Bondo King

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I have found out through myself that I like being around people. When I'm down, I can't be alone. It just doesn't do it for me. I gotta go and be with others. I'm feeling better now but still have my ups and downs.

OORAH!!
1965 vw beetle(Mayble)
1968 vw beetle(Caroline)
1974 VW Panel Bus
2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins(Katey)

.|_____|.
(0\_!_/0)
.||......||.

Don't drink and post
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg353/endicott_jb/IMG_20110113_085237.jpg
When life throws you curveballs switch to boomerangs.
mgamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple tip with a complex explaination: get a new deck of cards. If you're depressed and you don't change your situation, you will be depressed for a very long time. If you change the scenery, the circumstances, or whatever is causing you to focus on your depression or the circumstances that are depressing you, you have a good chance of coming out of it. If you have a loved one die, don't visit the cemetary 2 or 3 times a day. That won't work. It doesn't mean you don't love her or him if you quit going to visit. If you don't have anyone to talk to, talk to your pet. If you don't have a pet, talk to God. He will listen. If you can't see anything good in life or believe life isn't worth living, take a long nature walk. Don't play with guns or pills, the options look too easy. If you aren't seeing a therapist, ask yourself why you don't want to get better. After all, you would go to a doctor if you broke your arm, what's the difference? Depression doesn't mean you're a failure, it means you're depressed.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv'e always tried to keep myself "occupied" in something positive whenever feeling down.

Going for a drive is always a good one.

I was lucky when when my son was left his 2000 Golf with me on his first deployment to Iraq. Spent hours upon hours fixing it up for him. Second deployment had me moving 40 yards of dirt using just shovel and wheelbarrow. I was always looking over my shoulder for a Marine and a Chaplain coming to my door.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kais Collection Premium Member
vintage treasures

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgamike wrote:
A simple tip with a complex explaination: get a new deck of cards. If you're depressed and you don't change your situation, you will be depressed for a very long time. If you change the scenery, the circumstances, or whatever is causing you to focus on your depression or the circumstances that are depressing you, you have a good chance of coming out of it. If you have a loved one die, don't visit the cemetary 2 or 3 times a day. That won't work. It doesn't mean you don't love her or him if you quit going to visit. If you don't have anyone to talk to, talk to your pet. If you don't have a pet, talk to God. He will listen. If you can't see anything good in life or believe life isn't worth living, take a long nature walk. Don't play with guns or pills, the options look too easy. If you aren't seeing a therapist, ask yourself why you don't want to get better. After all, you would go to a doctor if you broke your arm, what's the difference? Depression doesn't mean you're a failure, it means you're depressed.

X2. Very good advise about the new deck of cards, helped me in many various situations. Make a change not because the new scenery/ circumstances/ whatever appeals more to you, but just simply for the sake of a change. Trust me, it will work.
I also want to add: Take care of yourself. eat healthy food, don't smoke, easy on the liquor, try to get outdoors every day. Phisical exersice is great for boday and soul, and to take your mind off of things for a bit.

Kai's Collection - vintage treasures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my depression cycles for the past several years, however I've been dealing with some pretty serious depression for the past 8 months or so. I've tried stuff the doctors have given me, with no success, mostly because of the side effects, I've been doing twice a month sessions with a therapist since June, I've tried herbal stuff and vitamins. Nothing has been able to bring me out of it. Three weeks ago, while in Costco, I noticed some stuff called "Natrol 5-HTP Mood Enhancer". I thought "What the heck. What do I have to lose but $19.99". It's an amino acid that increases the levels of Serotonin in the body. I felt a definite difference after about 4 or 5 days and my days have only improved since then. I feel better and have gotten more accomplished than I have in months.

Here are some customer reviews of it.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of depressed for a while. Then I got laid. Problem solved Twisted Evil
bgwoods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunlight, exercise, add more veggies to the diet, and, well, we'll tell yer when yer older.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

divorce her ass
Endicott jb
Bondo King

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mynameismud wrote:
divorce her ass

Is that how you dealt with it or is that your advice?

OORAH!!
1965 vw beetle(Mayble)
1968 vw beetle(Caroline)
1974 VW Panel Bus
2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins(Katey)

.|_____|.
(0\_!_/0)
.||......||.

Don't drink and post
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg353/endicott_jb/IMG_20110113_085237.jpg
When life throws you curveballs switch to boomerangs.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endicott jb wrote:
mynameismud wrote:
divorce her ass

Is that how you dealt with it or is that your advice?

Po-Ta-toe
Po-Tat-O
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: