Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fog lights! with a factory look.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
88formula
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Fog lights! with a factory look. Reply with quote

Ive spent some time searching the vasts expanse of the outernet for some form of indication that someone else might have had the same idea as me. im looking for a clean install of fog lights. i have a '91 vanagon, so i think that found fog lights bolted to the top of the bumper would be an ugly addition to the nice squared headlights that match the rest of the lines on the van, other than the wheels of course. my plan is to add a 6x2" or so fog light in behind the front air dam, right were there is already holes cut out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

right there....
now, all i have found is this

anyone think of any other fog pattern lamps that will fit?

driving to tofino.

(updated with my Westley pics)

Last edited by 88formula on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it, and buy them by the case, you'll need them, it seems a bit exposed to obstacles down there Smile

the factory look is this (the bracket that says "nur caravelle carat" is the one for the fibreglass bumpers you have):

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com

Last edited by ragnarhairybreeks on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know PIAA makes some slim line fog lights.
and I would stay away from the new fangled gimmikie LED fog/driving lights

how about these slim design, price is right too (I may pick up a set for reverse lights)

Ebay light auction

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

What's gimmikie (sp?) about LEDs?
They have become standard for driving and tail lights on many newer cars. They have completely eclipsed halogen and HIDs for bike lights. They are cheaper, brighter, and last longer. More effecient and cooler too. I'm thinking in less than 5yrs, headlights will be LED also.
In 5-10yrs, they will have completely replaced CFLs for both home and industrial lighting. The tech exists and it's not even that expensive.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rectangle fogs will look really nice down there, go for it! If I had an air dam on my
Westy I too would be doing the same thing as you propose. I've got the big asz Hella
rounds up front and I can count on one finger the times that I have used them.
Not that I don't want to, just haven't had the opportunity.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a set down there back in the day they were rectangular hellas, they didnt last long, actually went thru two sets before i went to the ontop of bumper set up, still have one lamp around, but just make sure to keep the lens covers on them when not in use
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your LED lights out to a dark piece of road on a wet night..
they make good indicator lights.. they do not (IMHO) illuminate the surface of the road well. for this I still stock up on Old School Bosch/Hella Fogs or Driving lights.

I like LEDs for lighting my back porch.. well kinda. they're still a monochromatic and Directional, and offer little in 'depth' and 'contrast' to the surfaces they fall on. compared to a incandescant..

for light bulbs I really coudn't care less about cheaper, or longer lasting if they don't perform as I require illumination to.
I do have LEDs and CFLS in the basement & tractor shed always on,
I LOVE my LED battery powered motion lights.. this is a perfect applicaiton for current offerings of LED illumination. here long battery life, and instant on are key points to me approaching my steps, or entrance door.

buildyourown wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

What's gimmikie (sp?) about LEDs?
They have become standard for driving and tail lights on many newer cars. They have completely eclipsed halogen and HIDs for bike lights. They are cheaper, brighter, and last longer. More effecient and cooler too. I'm thinking in less than 5yrs, headlights will be LED also.
In 5-10yrs, they will have completely replaced CFLs for both home and industrial lighting. The tech exists and it's not even that expensive.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need: SA lower grill. (sorry about the dead van)

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers,
Those are Projezt fog lights, NLA, and very expensive.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351740&highlight=projekt

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fog/auxiliary lights in the US automotive world are often an odd topic. We're the only country in the world where the number of aux light buyers who are looking for "a cool look" far outnumber the people looking for a light that puts out a quality beam. As a result, the US market is full of poor functioning lights for teenage boys to bolt onto their sagging rusty Camaro for that "euro look". (cough.)

So buyer beware and generally the smaller lights are the junkiest. Stick to established name brands like Bosch, Hella, PIAA (somewhat) though all brands have a junk line these days because in the US that's where the volume is (see above paragraph).

In the rest of the world, vehicle lighting is taken much more seriously.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
I can count on one finger the times that I have used them.

I've had the exact same experience with my daily driver Nissan over the 13 years that I've been driving it.
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also tell you I typically think "what a cock" everytime I see someone with fog lights on for everyday use...
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch is now offering LED...

DRL's

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/daytime-running-lights/

Driving Lights

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/auxiliary-lamps/led/micro-70-led/

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "driving lights" link (a term generally associated with lamps to illuminate at high beam distances or beyond) are actually more of a cheap work light. Even the linked site mentions they are for close illumination. So, in the world of lights I'd bolt onto my vehicle to enhance forward or distance vision at night, these Hella 70s are essentially cheap styling lights. Kind of a stylish light you'd put on your ATV.

As I mentioned, even the traditional names offer low priced stuff and this is a perfect example.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Baxta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackDogVan wrote:
I can also tell you I typically think "what a cock" everytime I see someone with fog lights on for everyday use...

I usually think "hey dumbass - is it foggy where you are?" when I see that, but I can see the advantages of your thoughts too... Mayhaps time for a change in my habits...
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Hella LED Driving lights are interesting. though I'd hate to se the pricetag on those.
the DRLs are for 'other drivers' to see you, not you to see road obstacles.

in my 80-85 round light vans I've rarely needed any additional lighting.
in Mom's 86 square light van, I had to ad Bosch white driving lights down under by the clamshell (set back under several inches)
these run with the parking lights, but switch off with the highbeams as the Squares highbeam is pretty decent. but highbeam driving is soo infrequent.
If I didn't put the added fogs underneath (where they don't bother oncoming traffic at all) I would have had to switch her camper to rounds.

rockfish wrote:
Bosch is now offering LED...

DRL's

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/daytime-running-lights/

Driving Lights

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/auxiliary-lamps/led/micro-70-led/

ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't go "offroad" then the under bumper mount might be ok. But even easing down minor trenches on logging roads will result in the dam being scraped.

I'm not meaning to be negative, just a caution.

cheers

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
88formula
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its only 2wd, and it already has 1.5" lift springs, i wont be doing much for "offroading" and certainly wont be on any logging roads.

im not looking for any led lights, or any round lights. i need approx 6X2" rectangles. has to have replaceable bulbs, as i will put in 100w and maybe at some point hid? still undecided. light pattern is important too. i need a real fog lamp. not just a bulb in a shiny box.

i like what IdahoDoug had to say. i feel it is important to have a proper pattern. a fog light is necessary only in the low beam application. have you ever actual tried to use your high beams in the fog? it just lights up a wall directly in front of you. a high beam is not the proper pattern for poor visibility! nither is a lamp with no thought put into its light output!(i think i should have made that point very clear now) that is why i want to use the air dam slots for my fog lights. there low, protected (to some extent), and clean. and find the proper ones.

i already have VW plastic headlight shields, and will be putting a thick layer of plastic on my new lamps, if they break after that, well...... cant say i didn't try.

oh and as for "being a cock", i live in red deer Alberta. there is more of a white bread, red neck % of our population than any other place in most of north America, and all of these rig pigs have nothing they love to spend there money on more that there 12"+ lift kit, 26" mud slinging tires, with no less than 8, 10" hid "blistering blue" lamps anywhere and everywhere on these trucks with there "low beams" pointed right in your eye. there is some kind of subconscious competition going on here. and i am not a part of it. i just want adequate light as i drive off highway quite often to get to my family. and there is NO sunlight left at 5 o clock in the winter.

sorry if this has turned into somewhat of a rant. its just that i started off on an informational voyage, and manage to pick up only $0.08 in unrequested "2 cents" lets keep it that way please.
previous happenings and future cautions are more than welcomed!
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Canada (at least B.C.) they require daytime running lights. All the cars that I've brought into B.C. have had to be inspected, and I had to add the running lights.
A couple ways to do this. One was to add white fog lights. The other which I did to my old Mulitvan was to switch to S.A. grill with the round bulbs and a extra running light embedded within the bulbs.

On my Syncro I use the rectangular Hella lights and I covered the lenses with that thick clear plastic 3M sells for lens protection.

edit (I meant to add that I tried the fogs in the same location you want to try and the lights lasted about a month. Go with the upper location, they'll last longer!)

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: