Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

87 Syncro AC clutch circuit question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: 87 Syncro AC clutch circuit question Reply with quote

My AC hasn't come on since I pulled the dash to do a heater blower motor last summer. There's no power at the clutch even when the temp and fan switches are on, but since the fans work I know there is power at the switches. The temp control switch is brand new so there must be power coming out of the switch.

Can someone tell me what the basic electrical path is from the temp switch to the AC clutch, and what areas are most prone to failure in this path?

It's an 87 Syncro and I find the wiring is sometimes different from what Bentley shows (case in point, the dash foil.)

To be honest whenever I look at Bentley wiring diagrams I feel like the guy in "A Beautiful Mind"....nuff said...
OwnYourReality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did the AC on my 87 syncro last summer & had similar issues like you're describing. I don't have the schematics in front of me & since you feel like 'that guy' looking at them anyway, no sense posting the pic. After pulling the drivers side rear cover off, checking all the connections, fuses, relays, etc...turns out my charge was low. There are hi & low pressure switches inline. If there isn't enough pressure (of gas) to satisfy the lo limit, it keeps the compressor from cycling to prevent damage (there's oil in the lines for lubrication, lo pressure=no lubrication). Same with the hi limit, keeps it from cycling with too much pressure so no damage from blowing out. So maybe your charge is low? If it was already low in the operating range then in that years time it could have easily gone below its limit. Mines already converted to 134a so it was easy enough to go to FLAPS, get a cylinder with a gauge already on it & see. Hope this helps.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense, I'll check the charge level.

Are there wiring diagrams specific to the Syncro not shown in Bentley? I know there's a bunch of stuff about Canadian heaters and the decouplers but what about variations to the standard circuits?
OwnYourReality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Bentley yet so not sure about specifics to a Syncro or not. Obviously there will be differences between a tin top & a camper or pop top. Go Westy has a good article about AC differences here:

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=311

I can't remember where I got this but this is the schematic I used to do the work on my ac (looks like it is a Bentley image?)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: