Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
freefalling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: 71 bus Reply with quote

i live in PA and a good bus is hard to find thats not all rusted out. i found a 71 with an asking price of 2850$ new paint - very little rust - dual exhaust- rebuilt 1600 engine - new shocks - (empi-shifter) and not to bad suspension - completly restored interior (almost perfect). has some minor back right damage but is very fixible and has the usual minor oil leak. it started right up with a little gray/blackish smoke not too bad. I can probobly get him down to 2500$. so what do you think...good buy?
thanks guys
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: 71 bus Reply with quote

If it has all that done to it, I think it is somewhat reasonable. Although I'm kinda wondering about the dual exhaust thing. Is it a dual quiet pack? If so that cool. Also what do you mean by "not bad suspension"? You could have a mechanic do a compression check on the engine and give it a good look over.-Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: 71 bus Reply with quote

Do a compression check first.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: 71 bus Reply with quote

I live in the Allentown area- if your close by I could give it a compression check and a once over. Barry
freefalling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: 71 bus Reply with quote

hey thanks for the feedback guys. my grandfather used to be a mechanic, im going to give him a call. he still has access to all his tools so he will probably be able to do a compression check. thanks for the offer Barry.
by the way barry where do you live i might see you around. im in Macungie right outside emmaus. if everything goes good you might see a 71 green and white bus slowing down traffic somewhere.
Ms. Priss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: 71 bus Reply with quote

I bought a '71 for $1,000 last fall that needs: paint, a huge dent pulled out of the nose, some rust repair (around the tail lights (both sides), on the roof, the sliding door), new rubber everywhere, the sunroof fixed, new seat covers and all interior panels replaced. Just to do the complete rubber on the front doors is going to cost me $240/door for German seals.

With that said... I bought it sight unseen (other than photos being emailed) and at the advice of the local VW God (who I had not yet met) SOLELY because it was a '71. My mechanic, who has been in business for 30 years, loves the '71s and since a 21- or 23-window was out of my price range, it was a perfect match. Every time my mechanic sees/hears/works on my bus he continues to be impressed with my purchase. It's his favorite year for buses and they're hard to find if you look around online.

My first shop bill was $500 for extensive brake work and several other things. I just installed a new muffler, electronic ignition, cap & rotor and engine seal for another $200 + lunch. I got a break on labor since I did the work under his direction. So, for the balance of less than $1K, it sounds like not a bad deal. I'm facing a lot of cosmetic work which will be $$. Engine-wise, the only other work I need is to rebuild the carb, which he's going to walk me thru also. I'll easily spend more than the asking price of the one you're looking at by the time mine is to where I want it to be. Good luck with it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: 71 bus Reply with quote

I live in Northampton-right in your neck of the woods. I have a 74 westy thats been known to slow traffic at times also hehe. Are you goin to the vw superjam at maplegrove? I'm trying to get some folks together for a caravan down to maplegrove ,this will be the first year that i'm gonna show my bus . Barry
freefalling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: 71 bus Reply with quote

whens the superjam Barry??
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: 71 bus Reply with quote

SUPERJAM is June 8th at Maplegrove raceway, Mohnton, Pa

Hey Barry, I'm from Northeast Pa. I'd be interested in a caravan to maplegrove.
Let me know how your going and maybe we can hookup along the way.

Justin
77 deluxe bus
90 Vanagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: 71 bus Reply with quote

Jcooksvwsaol.com- I'm taking 22 to 222 south right through shillington .625 to maplegrove rd. From where i'm at it'll take 1hr, so i'd like to be on the road by 6:30 to have enough time to setup and clean.There is a Perkins restuarant off of 22 and on 145-seems a likely spot to meet up.Barry
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: 71 bus Reply with quote

Where is Mohnton? I'm up on Long Island, wouldn't mind making a run down there if it's not too far.

-=Rob
77 Westy
TristanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: 71 bus Reply with quote

Say a big hello to Macungie for me aerculd.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: 71 bus Reply with quote

Mohnton is outside of Reading PA. The dragstrip is halfway between Morgantown and Reading.Just a guess - probably take you 3hrs?

"Say a big hello to Macungie for me aerculd."
Former stomping grounds? Barry
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: