Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which camper has the longest bed?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Which camper has the longest bed? Reply with quote

I'm 6'7" (2m) tall and trying to figure out which camper has the best bed for me. I believe the Westfalia tent bed is too short, but can be modified. How long are the folding beds? Do they differ from Riviera to Westfalia etc.?

I figure I will probably have to mod the bed regardless which model I end up getting, but maybe not? I couldn't find the lengths of various beds posted anywhere.

I'm new to buses but excited to be looking for one!

Thanks!

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayradmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think you are going to get much more length from any of the z beds, but the 74 models have a full width bed. I am 6' 4" and can sleep comfortably with my wife in mine. You might have to sleep diagonally. Laughing

"When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life... " (Spamalot/Life of Brian)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayradmike wrote:
I dont think you are going to get much more length from any of the z beds, but the 74 models have a full width bed. I am 6' 4" and can sleep comfortably with my wife in mine. You might have to sleep diagonally. Laughing

Do you have a '74? I'm just asking because I considered altering my rock'n'roll bed to full width and was wondering how that works out interior design wise.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6-4" too and I don't have any issues. I'm used to dangeling off the edge or bumping my head into everything anyways so maybe it's just me Laughing
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah a full width bed probably will buy me a little on the diagonal. There must be some blueprints floating around out there -- any links?

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)

wayradmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatCamper wrote:
wayradmike wrote:

Do you have a '74? I'm just asking because I considered altering my rock'n'roll bed to full width and was wondering how that works out interior design wise.

I have a 74 bed, but not the rest of the camper interior, with the exception of 2 jump seats.

Don't be silly chumps

ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note - a Z Bed is NOT a Westy bed. Z Beds turn standard back seats into fold-out beds.
wayradmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed a standard rear seat to install what I've always been told is a z bed. It is constructed of wood and came out of a 1974 westy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don't be silly chumps

James Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I am 6'7" and I get along fine in my 71 westy. My girlfriend that is 5'11" and sometimes in the middle of the night if it is chilly our 90lb lab too. It's a vw bus you will grow to love it more than the aches and pians envovled with it! At first I was a little bothered by the front seat. I now go on multi day trips for upto 800 miles so far no problem. Definitely not the typical german luxury we are use to hearing about.
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read this on another post which might be of use to you, near bottom of the 4th page, "My rear eztended sleeper"

Similar to trailer tent concept, could be ideal if you are 6'7"

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...p;start=60

PG
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgtips wrote:
Just read this on another post which might be of use to you, near bottom of the 4th page, "My rear eztended sleeper"

Similar to trailer tent concept, could be ideal if you are 6'7"

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...p;start=60

PG

Oh yeah. I have the plans for a version of that. been considering it for ages. I'm short compared to some of you, but the rear extension appeals to me because the seating / living space isn't lost when someone wants a lie down.
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks for all the replies!

that eztended sleeper is pretty neat and definitely looks to add a lot of room.

@JamesTaylor -- that's great to hear! Do you guys actually fit, or do you have to curl up?

Previous romances:

James Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We both think it is fine. We are currently planning a trip from Socal to B.C. Canada to Ohio. Total of atleast 6000 miles and if we can pull it maybe 8000 and 2 1/2months. I do not think we would consider this without feeling comfortable with our sleeping situation. We do throw 2 coleman sleeping bags down ontop of the foam cushion seats which helps smooth out the cracks and adds a soft top. You can get this at Target for like 25 bucks a piece.
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorjos wrote:
wow thanks for all the replies!
that eztended sleeper is pretty neat and definitely looks to add a lot of room.

Here's a commercially available version ... not cheap though:
http://www.flyawaydesignsonline.com/

Another option is to go with a late bay Westy pop-top and just cut yourself a little piece of plywood to extend the poptop bed over the open area. Works well for keeping kids from falling out of there too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: