Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camper rear light power draw + Voltminder
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWbySWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Camper rear light power draw + Voltminder Reply with quote

So I plugged in my voltminder and everything is honky dory. I turned on my camper light to do some stuff and the Voltminder starts beeping. Every time I turn on the rear light (3 bulbs), I lose an entire volt out of the circuit. Yikes

Will the LED kit cure this? I'd like to not have to hear the Voltminder when the light is turned on.
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Voltminder and bulb draw Reply with quote

Each of those bulbs draws nearly an amp, so you've got nearly a 3-amp draw total in that light. I think because of the amperage draw and the long path the current travels, you'll have a temporary voltage drop while the light is on, causing the Voltminder to alarm. This is compounded by the fact that if you've got the Voltminder plugged into the cigarette lighter, you've already got a bit of reduced voltage as the current is first travelling through old wiring from the battery to the fuse panel and then on to the outlet.

Using LEDs would help, but I would also consider wiring the Voltminder directly to the battery. I suspect that your voltage there will be higher than at the cigarette lighter. You can check out all of this with a digital voltmeter with probe leads first.

Ed
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you turn on all of the bulbs in this LED kit you will pull 1/4 of 1 amp. If you are turning on just the camper light the draw is cut in half.
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1239_138/camper_interior_led_bulb_kit.html
You can see why the LED kits are great at extending your battery when they pull so little power and put out more light than stock bulbs.
SWbySWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have the high power LEDs? I'd be open to increased light with the higher power ones.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWbySWesty wrote:
Does anybody have the high power LEDs? I'd be open to increased light with the higher power ones.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index..._prods.htm
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VC has a bright set as well.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1241_138/camper_interior_high_output_led_bulb_kit.html

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
SWbySWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have been more specific. I know where to find them; however, does anyone have them installed? Laughing
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWbySWesty wrote:
I guess I should have been more specific. I know where to find them; however, does anyone have them installed? Laughing

I have the front two lights (driver door light and map pocket door) from the bright VC set installed.
More light than stock incandescents.. but its that odd blue glow of LEDs. Its growing on me.

Been too lazy to get to the rear Westy overhead light...its a 15 minute job, but they fell way down the list of "must-dos".
Maybe today... Laughing

What do you want to know?

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..

Last edited by j_dirge on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LED's are great. The VC kit IIRC only is offered in cool white. I have the hi-power in the driver side courtesy light (only place we feel the hi-power is needed but that is just us, and we have other aux. lights too) and a little one in the map/glove box light. These two bulbs are from van-cafe and are cool white. However, from superbrightleds.com you can get the LEDs in different colors. We went with regular power in warm white for the 3 festoon bulbs in the cabin light. Plenty of output for us, and we prefer the warm white. If the front bulbs ever burn out in our lifetime, we'll replace with warm white too. There are also some good recent threads on flexible LED lighting strips. Have fun!
SWbySWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I just wanted to know if they really put out more light than both stock bulbs and regular LED. Sounds like they do. I'll grab some and see how they are. It would be great to have them brighter to be able to read and throw a further light for digging in bags and stuff.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Camper rear light power draw + Voltminder Reply with quote

SWbySWesty wrote:
I turned on my camper light to do some stuff and the Voltminder starts beeping. Every time I turn on the rear light (3 bulbs), I lose an entire volt out of the circuit. Yikes

This could also be a sign of a weaker battery. I only use one stock bulb in the light fixture and find it's plenty of light.
SWbySWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two relatively new Optima deep cycles under the rear bench...They test just fine. I'll use a circuit tester to see if the voltage drop occurs at the battery as well...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWbySWesty wrote:

Aside from the two fluorescents I used to replace the one original three bulb light, my entire interior is lit by the high power, warm white, LEDs. I even added two new stock lights over the slider, one over the passenger door, and a Jetta unit inmate headliner between the front seats. Just a couple of the lights on is usually plenty for low light needs. In fact, I rarely use the flourescents anymore.

The light quality is nice, not harsh at all. The power draw is very minimal and saves quite a bit of juice for extended stays.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just installed some LEDs in my new CHC top. I used the same lights i used to re-light my entire RV (which i full-time in). i've bought a LOT of LEDs from superbrightleds.com and by far the best for interior lighting is the flexible 3-chip warm white strips. the 3-chip is key. i have the 1-chip cool white strips i initially bought for in-cabinet lighting in my RV and their output doesn't compare to the 3 chips...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index...FFLSX3.htm

the 3-chip lights are NOT cheap, but they are insanely bright and the light color is perfect.

here's some pics of them in my van, i just ran then in some aluminum C channel from home depot...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i run them all through this LED dimmer and have a switch inline that turns off the rearward lights...

http://www.creativelightings.com/LED-Dimmer-12v-Rotary-PWM-Dimmer-Click-On-Off-p/cl-kr6-dim.htm

if you want i can put my multimeter on it tonight and see what the draw is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: