Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what is the problem?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject: what is the problem? Reply with quote

i was driving and my engine started knocking really bad so i pulled over and it died. there was oil in it before i started driving when i looked under the bus there was oil leaking from where the engine bolts to the trany. i was thinking maybe the flywheel was unbalanced and it caused the cam shaft to spin funny. the rear main seal is obviosly blown. is there something else that it could be and am i going to need a new engine or is this something i can fix.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: what is the problem? Reply with quote

Check the compression.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: what is the problem? Reply with quote

Ya, I think checking the compression might be a good idea, make sure all 4 cylinders are still there. Also, at the same time, it will show whether your spark plugs are still there...had a spark plug go nuclear, was a mess...to say the least. Ummm, rear main seal, ya that is shot, but what else may be shot back there to make that pop? I wouls say maybe pull that engine out, after the compression check...though you have no choice now to replace that seal, but you may see more there. Will only know when you pull it.

Jax
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: what is the problem? Reply with quote

I had a flywheel come loose on me and it sounded like i was going to throw a rod. That might explain the oil loss too?? Anyway it trashed the end of the crank, the flywheel and machined out my transmission with the starter teeth; ugly mess. But it sounds like the engine is coming out regardless. let us know what you find.
good luck....
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: what is the problem? Reply with quote

well i pulled the engine the 5 bolts that hold the fly wheel on were broken and the 3 bolts that hold the fan on were also broken the trany is fine and the teeth on the starter are fine the end of crank seems to be ok and the rear main seal is still intaked what is my next step or is this engine junk
please help
thanx nick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: