Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

History of VW Vintage Speed
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The date of the "Kompressor" article in the 2nd post here also looks to be from 1951; as per the authorized reprint (sonderdruck?) below:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the period photograph on its own:

Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early MAG spec sheets that were likely distributed at early trade shows. (Two in German, rest in French) On the backs of these sheets is some detail as to what kind of performance improvement to expect in a VW. The photo has an early VW motor at the far right, with mushroom style 25hp air cleaner.

Stonefish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another PHA hill climb special...a Royale with a T4 engine punched out to 2075...here at Giant's Despair.

1965 Notchback SCCA/PHA prepared, 1966 Bus, 1968 Beetle, 1969 Bus, 1970 Squareback, 1971 Fastback, 1973 Thing, 1983 Rabbit LS, 1986 Cabriolet, 1987 Viper VW powered "A" Sports Racer, 1996 Harlequin Golf, 2001 Eurovan Weekender, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2007 Passat 4Motion wagon.
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is that Royale T4 now? Looks great and I will bet it was fast.

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stonefish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in contact with the guy on the left...he last saw it road racing in the last 90's with SVRA.

1965 Notchback SCCA/PHA prepared, 1966 Bus, 1968 Beetle, 1969 Bus, 1970 Squareback, 1971 Fastback, 1973 Thing, 1983 Rabbit LS, 1986 Cabriolet, 1987 Viper VW powered "A" Sports Racer, 1996 Harlequin Golf, 2001 Eurovan Weekender, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2007 Passat 4Motion wagon.
Stonefish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more pixs of it...oh, and according to the previous owner, it did "fly"! I'll also post up some more details about the car's history.

36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Royale T4 Reply with quote

Thanx, looking forward to seeing more.

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stonefish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car (SCCA at the time) had been crashed at Pocono, repaired improperly, fitted with a new RP10 body (very similar to RP4) and after being disappointed with the resurrected car, the owner opted to pull the engine and trans & start over with another car. It was reengineered so the rear suspension and engine/trans mounts from an inline 4-cyl Ford application to a flat four Porsche 914/912E engine

Somics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stonefish wrote:

Too funny! This is my pop's car. Hillclimbed in the mid seventies. He must have 50 period trophy plaques hanging around in his den. He was a co-owner/racer of the car with a family friend I just remember as Buddy. Can't remember his last name right now. The car was put back on the street for my brother to drive in 1984 and then handed down to me as my first car in 1986. It sits in his back yard right now waiting to be rescued again. I think he still holds the record in that class as the class was retired soon after he stopped racing.

Sorry... Hi. First post for me.

I'll see if I can't get some more photo's of it hosted and posted.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome. Smile Thanks for posting, it's good to see the pictures and looking forward to seeing more.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Hello and welcome. :) Thanks for posting, it's good to see the pictures and looking forward to seeing more.

Ditto ! ! !

Burly
Stonefish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Somics,
just saw your post....I've sent you a PM. Scolastico is the "Buddy" you are talking about.

Busted Knuckles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Rabold oval racer Reply with quote

I thought I posted this once but apparently it disappeared!

I stumbled on this forum while doing an unrelated search and was tickled to found the pictures of Jack Rabold and one of his Marlboro VWs. My association with Jack (both in racing and in the shop) began in 1968 and continues today. I wasn't as involved with this car as I was with his later later efforts (the 911, the Formula Vee and Super Vees, the VW powered sprint car and the EMRA Rabbits, among others). This photo was taken in 1969 and I thought it might be of interest to some:

Last edited by Busted Knuckles on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stonefish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny...I just scanned a copy of that photo this past weekend, along with two albums of Jack's stuff!!

Busted Knuckles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stonefish wrote:
Too funny...I just scanned a copy of that photo this past weekend, along with two albums of Jack's stuff!!
If you have albums of Jack's photos, might you have one of his Porsche "Special"? It would have predated both of his SCCA Speedsters which would have put it sometime in the early 60s. We've been trying to find one for a long time.
Stonefish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup...have a slew...PM me!

citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: vw racing Reply with quote

i found some old pictures of my race car and friends when we were racing in the middle 60'S at the fairgrounds racetrack in louisville ky the car in color was the one i built you could only race 36 or 40 hp motors stock the number was 36 because i ran a 36 hp engine the body was saved my son only 2 when i raced the car but when he was 16 years old we brought the old body back from sitting on my dads farm and made a baja out of it for his first car that was a few years ago since he now has a 21 year old son the car was sold a few years ago out of state. if you look the one driver has a cigar in his mouth he always raced like that and was called pappy i dont think that would work today

Last edited by citroen on Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52brezelfenster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dick Beith-the 1st Volkswagen World Record Holder Reply with quote

Does anyone know the where abouts of Dick Beith's car? Is it still around today?

36hplandspeedracer wrote:

In 1960 Dick Beith drove his 1958 Vokswagen bug to the Bonneville Salt Flats to participate in the annual Bonneville Nationals Speedweek event. His 36hp engine was equipped with home made intake manifolds and dual carburetor system fitted to VW single port cylinder heads. The 1192cc engine placed him in the F/Touring Sports category of the era.

Dick went on to set a new two way average land speed record of 77.107 miles per hour across the salt flats with a fastest one way pass of 80.874 mph after which he then drove the bug back to California. This was the first ever world recognized speed record set by a Volkswagen powered vehicle and was the inspiration for the creation of the 36hp Challenge in 2005.

Using modern technology and the knowledge gained over the intervening five decades, this record was only recently surpassed by Bruce Cook of North Carolina. Today, the current record holder for this category of 36hp based Volkswagens is held by Justin McAllister of Blackline Racing with a speed of 103.056 miles per hour set at Bonneville during the USFRA's 2009 World of Speed event.

The 36hp Challenge continues..................

Burly
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dick Beith-the 1st Volkswagen World Record Holder Reply with quote

52brezelfenster wrote:
Does anyone know the where abouts of Dick Beith's car? Is it still around today?

36hplandspeedracer wrote:

In 1960 Dick Beith drove his 1958 Vokswagen bug to the Bonneville Salt Flats to participate in the annual Bonneville Nationals Speedweek event. His 36hp engine was equipped with home made intake manifolds and dual carburetor system fitted to VW single port cylinder heads. The 1192cc engine placed him in the F/Touring Sports category of the era.

Dick went on to set a new two way average land speed record of 77.107 miles per hour across the salt flats with a fastest one way pass of 80.874 mph after which he then drove the bug back to California. This was the first ever world recognized speed record set by a Volkswagen powered vehicle and was the inspiration for the creation of the 36hp Challenge in 2005.

Using modern technology and the knowledge gained over the intervening five decades, this record was only recently surpassed by Bruce Cook of North Carolina. Today, the current record holder for this category of 36hp based Volkswagens is held by Justin McAllister of Blackline Racing with a speed of 103.056 miles per hour set at Bonneville during the USFRA's 2009 World of Speed event.

The 36hp Challenge continues..................

Burly

Dear Mr 52breselfenster

Dick actually raced two different Bugs over two different years:

In my discussions with Dick some years ago, he did not recall where the car went. #368, the 1958 Inca Red(I think) sedan shown above and raced only one year(1960) used the dual carb 36er. This car set an F.I.A. record of 77.107 miles per hour for the two way average with a qualifying run of 73.34 mph and a return run of 80.879 mph. However a very significant item related to bug #368 was rediscovered last week and brought to Bonneville for World of Speed.

The original brass SCTA timing plaque issued to each racer at Speedweek was found in the bottom of an old tool box. The plaque shows his entry number(368) and class(E/Touring Sports), Dicks name, the year 1960, the location(Bonneville) and his qualifying speed of 73.34 mph. In addition, a portion of the original trophy Dick was awarded for setting the record in 1960 has also been retrieved. These two items are the equivalent of the "Holy Grail" of Volkswagen racing, being related to the first ever internationally recognized speed record set by any Volkswagen racer anywhere in the world ! ! !

In 1961, Dick returned to the salt with a 1956 Horizon Blue oval window(#149), this time equipped with the Pepco Supercharged 36er and proceeded to set yet another land speed record. This car is also unaccounted for.

I have looked through all of the photos I have on #368 and #149 (which are few) and cannot see the California license plate numbers. This is too bad since in California the plate number stays with the car through it's life. If we could find license plate numbers for the two beetles, it might be possible to research California DMV records to see if either or both Beetles still exist.

As of now, it is an ongoing mystery.......................

Burly
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: