Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

91 1.6 td not getting fuel
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: 91 1.6 td not getting fuel Reply with quote

just put a new head on my jetta diesel. I have the injector lines cracked and don't seem to be getting any fuel. I've been messing with it all day. Fuel seems to easily flow out of the filter, and I took out the stop solenoid and it pops easily. Any ideas why I might not be getting fuel?
*Do the diesels have fuel pumps, or does the injector pump do it all? I can't find a reference to one in the bently
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 91 1.6 td not getting fuel Reply with quote

the injector pump does it all, but it often fails..
I've run a carb low pressure electric fuel pump on my Diesels for years.

it might just be a 'priming' issue.. I used to have a boat/marine squeeze bulb in the line from filter to pump (before I went electric)

best of luck..

shiningstar76 wrote:
just put a new head on my jetta diesel. I have the injector lines cracked and don't seem to be getting any fuel. I've been messing with it all day. Fuel seems to easily flow out of the filter, and I took out the stop solenoid and it pops easily. Any ideas why I might not be getting fuel?
*Do the diesels have fuel pumps, or does the injector pump do it all? I can't find a reference to one in the bently

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nekto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: your Bosch rotary injection pump Reply with quote

Your IP has two sections; a vane primer pump and the metering high presure injection section. if the pump isn't priming or is loosing prime it may not be the pump. check the fuel lines, all of them. if the return lines are leaking and the car is on an incline, the fuel will drain back into the tank. that can make it dificult to reprime and impossible to start.
if you determing the problem is in the pump, it is time to consider having it rebuilt. better do that now, Bosch rebuilders are going out of business all over. A new equipment requirement from Bosch has all the old school rebuilders desciding to retire. i am having a heck of a time finding a place to overhaul my Vanagon turbo Diesel pump. it would have been no problem two months ago.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: