Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karl von Salzen's stash
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone hear from - patayres?
Sorry to change the thread but I figured people intersted in this thread may be connected to him in someway.
I PM'd him too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I'd check on this scene...
Any new news?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when asked what parts we were asking about I also sent a PM, and to date neither 'karl' nor 'patayres' have come back and even received the messages - so they must both be on a break from the internet.

or they found a better way to deal with the stash.....
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some one needed or needs to go there-pay for it all giving her a good price-move it all out and sell it.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruckman101 wrote:
And there was much rejoicing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
In the frozen land of Nador they were forced to eat Robin's minstrels.

And there was much rejoicing

Yay....

60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris roop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Some one needed or needs to go there-pay for it all giving her a good price-move it all out and sell it.

That option was explored but no response was received.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting the stash topic aside I do miss Patayres posts. Seems like he had his act together. And the all time favorite was when Michelle straightened out all the silly confusion with the Westy bed. That was a riot Laughing
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully everyone did the right thing and helped her out.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!! Sorry for being MIA. Being a new mom again has me pretty wiped out.

It's been raining nearly every day here but I thought we could set up a weekend for a sale event. Come, check things out, make me offers? What do you all think?

Michelle
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea Michelle, I wish I lived closer I would be there in a minute.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed. That would be an awesome event.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Setting the stash topic aside I do miss Patayres posts. Seems like he had his act together. And the all time favorite was when Michelle straightened out all the silly confusion with the Westy bed. That was a riot Laughing

Very Happy
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
when asked what parts we were asking about I also sent a PM, and to date neither 'karl' nor 'patayres' have come back and even received the messages - so they must both be on a break from the internet.

or they found a better way to deal with the stash.....

I am sure I informed all of you several months back that I had a baby due. If not, I apologize. Said baby is now 2 months old, and still insists on eating every 2.5 hours...which means, I get no sleep. And have to race, to get what I need to get done, during infrequent daytime naps.

The bus stuff is exactly the way it was left after Pat showed up to help me. With a new baby in the house, buses have not been the priority. I know. I know. You are all shocked. But it is true. LOL!

I understand it is rough to wait and ponder but if you all want it NOW, take a drive and knock on my door. If you can't reach me directly, stop in at Bug Germanators and ask politely. They know where my house is.

Michelle

PS. All PMs were answered today, along with an apology for the delay.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, time for a rant.

Since Dad died, I have tried several times to move this stuff. I come here, always, so you all can go back and look at the time spent. Many have said that it is wonderful that I don't want to trash it all, that I am trying to see that the parts go back to the community. I have spent countless hours answering PMs and email. I have tried to set up "play dates" and work toward progress. The fact of the matter is, I cannot identify all of this and put a fair price on it. It is not possible for me to do it all myself.

Sure, I've gotten many requests for items but let's face facts. Almost everyone wants the same stuff. Few to none want the mechanical parts needed to keep their bus on the road, which is at least half of what is here. Almost everyone asks for clocks, jail bars, tents, the nifty little yellow trash can, etc...what is wanted is the rarest of the rare AND it's wanted for next to nothing. About 50 people have asked for a clock. At best, I have 5. Yet on the flip side, I've gotten many a message warning me to be careful of the vultures, or those who wish to low-ball me. Interesting rocks around here, don't you think?

One local guy showed up, made an offer on Dad's totaled Samba but you all said his offer was way too low. So, I took your advice and didn't part with the bus. A year later, it's still here...sitting in the rain. Who can pay the price tag you all put on it? I'm not saying you're wrong but I'd rather see this stuff move than sit out in the sea air dying a slow death. I'm not blaming you. However, I can't please everyone.

Sure, I've gotten lots of offers to help but most of them are empty. Many of you have good intentions but live too far away, which is absolutely understandable. Those that are close don't follow through. Out of six promises, Pat showed. He spent one weekend here, posted those pictures, then we never heard from him again. The following play date turned out to be a disaster. A bus didn't make the trip and I was saddled with the flu anyhow. Real life isn't always what we want it to be, and sometimes it's exactly opposite.

Sure, you've all suggested selling the lot as a whole. One trustworthy person came out and looked. He could not justify moving it all. When you couple the "fair" price to me, then the cost of moving it and storing it, plus selling it a trickle at a time, it just wasn't feasible for him. And considering those rocks, it makes sense to me. Why should he sit on boxes of engine tin? But, it has value...yes, I know. But who wants it? It's not plaid or ultra rare, so it sits.

So, this is where I'm at today: After almost a year and a half of this, I'm getting tired of spinning in circles. All the advice was nice but all anyone wants to do is talk and tell me what I should be doing. You all have an idea of what is here. (Pat's pictures were awesome!) You know where to find Coos Bay, Oregon. If you want buses/parts, come and get them. If you can't come and you want it shipped, be reasonable in your requests.

There are three green buses that can be restored. Show up with $500 and a wrecker to haul it home, and you can take your pick.

The Samba is sitting here...make me an offer. (Remember that you all said the offer of $500 was missing a zero.)

Despite how all of this sounds, I'm pretty easy going face to face. Work with me. Or show up, do some honest work, and I'll give you free stuff. I'm like that. What work you ask? Two buses need engine work. One needs a clutch cable "fork" so the engine needs to be dropped. The other needs an engine swapped out. Those two buses need to stay here but there's plenty of other stuff I can pay you with. I'll feed you, and you get to go home with bus stuff. What more can you ask for? LOL!

But guys, seriously...do not get all bent out of shape because I can't answer your PM immediately. I'm just trying to deal with the wrench life has thrown at me. This is not a business. I'm a Mom of four first and my Dad was the brain of this operation.

Michelle
hurst_dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post. Everyone has to do what they have to do and it is hard when yet another "job" has been thrown on top of an already full schedule. I wish I could spend a week helping you but my wife and kids would probably have an issue with it.

One thing you could do if you don't feel like going through the hassle of parting it out and no one has made an offer to buy the whole lot is to start calling VW mechanics/bone yards and seeing if they'll take it all and go through the hassle of storing/selling it. One thing I have found over the last couple years is that there are still some old school guys around that, believe it or not, do not use the internet and have no idea about TheSamba! If you started calling VW shops from SF to Seattle you may get lucky and they may simply send a couple flatbed trucks to pick everything up from you for a couple grand. Then the parts stay alive and you can go on with your life and not be listing parts in the classifieds for the next 10 years and dealing with all that comes with it. As far as prices and "scammers": a bird in the hand......

Hang in there, good luck!

PS--I live in Eugene so I will try to make it down to see you this summer and pick up some 72-74 engine tin, a rear bumper, and late-westy table if you still have the parts at that time.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurst_dave wrote:
Good post.

PS--I live in Eugene so I will try to make it down to see you this summer and pick up some 72-74 engine tin, a rear bumper, and late-westy table if you still have the parts at that time.

Thanks Dave. I am pretty much out front with everything, and if I have a grievance with anyone, they know about it. I won't apologize for my honesty. The Samba community is a priceless treasure but sometimes it seems that the few speak louder than the whole...I don't think I need to say more. Wink

Your list sounds do-able on my end. Smile
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just want to follow this thread
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure the backlog of messages while being away for a while, given where it left off, would have been overwhelming.

not as overwhelming as a new child mind you, but it doesn't take much to tip the emotional scale in a situation like that.

im sure most of us here face that battle in their lives, because let's face it - these old VW's need just as much if not more attention than our kids to stay happy. =)

fathers day weekend there is a big bus campout in Northern Oregon, which is the soonest id be able to swing by. if the whole stash isn't gone by then, we'll certainly swing by that Thursday before to pick up bits for our own bus or friends we'll be meeting at the campout.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From page 1:

mattcuddy wrote:

You need to ask yourself what you want out of all this. For it to all just be gone? Or to make as much money as possible?

From your recent posts it sounds like at this point you just want it all gone. Start making things pennies on the dollar and it will go away quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattcuddy wrote:
From page 1:

mattcuddy wrote:

You need to ask yourself what you want out of all this. For it to all just be gone? Or to make as much money as possible?

From your recent posts it sounds like at this point you just want it all gone. Start making things pennies on the dollar and it will go away quickly.

Everybody likes a good deal, including I'm sure, old Karl. The important thing is to keep the parts in circulation, and not let them disappear into the over-growing grass and Mother Earth. Not to mention the sea air.

That's the story of life in the material world, isn't it?... Accumulation and disbursement. How much will be left in 100 years? Not much.

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: