Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rolled the bus... :(
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry. Anyone who has not seen deer damage and suggests it is better to hit the deer - think about hitting a 300 pound rock rolled off a bridge in front of you as they have about the same effect. Usually the one you hit is the one you don't see.
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
sorry. Anyone who has not seen deer damage and suggests it is better to hit the deer - think about hitting a 300 pound rock rolled off a bridge in front of you as they have about the same effect. Usually the one you hit is the one you don't see.

About the same as hitting a roo. Not recommended. only difference is one has little front legs.

raintheory, that is a seriously amazing offer you received from Michelle. your call on whether you take it up. But if you love having a bus perhaps the cost of catching a bus/train, carting along a toolbox and getting some kind of a permit could be worth it to you.
78Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im getting a roo bar..
so the top just flew off wow
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so there's an adventure wagon top on the side of the road somewhere in W.Va? Go looking for it!!

It might end up in the classifieds? Just kidding
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

78Kombi wrote:
im getting a roo bar..

If you hit something in a bus head on there's going to damage no matter what you have up front unless it's this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I love my roo bars but I never want to find out how good they work. There's a good conversation about just that over here though:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...mp;start=0
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Sorry to read about you and your bus Crying or Very sad Glad you are OK. I know how you feel. I rolled a bus thanks to some lady hitting my bumper while trying eat her french fries instead of driving. Had a spare starter under the bench seat which bounced throughout the bus; left a huge dent in the wood paneling right above my head Shocked Now I always use those clips under the seat to keep in shut!! Keep us posted on how things turn out for you. Best of luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raintheory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you near me, OP? If so, come get a bus. Wink You can have a parked 77 or 76, no charge.
Shocked I sat staring at this for a good 5 minutes just now wondering if I was actually awake or still laying in bed dreaming. This is such a kind offer, I cannot even begin to express. Lyla (the rolled bus) originally came from Oregon. I'd actually found the original owner's ID in the defrost vent.

Michelle, your offer has brought tears to my eyes. I have some old friends that are out that way... I'll PM you after I talk to them.

Quote:
jeez...Did you have stock seat belts?
The PO actually did an upgrade to the belts.[/quote]

Quote:
Just curious, how did the hightop fare?? I picture it in my mind as many, many pieces but my positive side likes to think it just popped off and slid away..

Quote:
so the top just flew off wow

Yeah pretty much just fell off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcU4t6zRAKg

Some Sobering photos of the scene, minus the Bus:

Good thing the deer came out when he did... If he zigged when he should've zagged a few seconds earlier I'd be looking at that telephone pole there. Confused

Last edited by raintheory on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raintheory wrote:
Quote:
Are you near me, OP? If so, come get a bus. Wink You can have a parked 77 or 76, no charge.
Shocked I sat staring at this for a good 5 minutes just now wondering if I was actually awake or still laying in bed dreaming. This is such a kind offer, I cannot even begin to express. Lyla (the rolled bus) originally came from Oregon. I'd actually found the original owner's ID in the defrost vent.

Michelle, your offer has brought tears to my eyes. I have some old friends that are out that way... I'll PM you after I talk to them.

No, you didn't dream it. Smile I have 2 green 77s and 1 green 76 (deluxe camper pop tops) sitting here. They've been parked for a few years and need a new home before they lose their integrity. Between your working engine parts, and the bodies here, you could have a decent bus again.

I'd like to see each of these buses go to someone who will treasure it, and I know you will. I told Mom, I offered you a free one, and why, and she's happy with the idea too. There are pictures of the buses posted in the Karl von Salzen's Stash thread, if you want to see what I'm referring to. But yes, talk to your friends. If you can figure out how to do it, I'm game. Smile

Michelle
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I love Samba Very Happy
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
78Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle you are too awesome!! Shocked
raintheory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
78Kombi wrote:
im getting a roo bar..

If you hit something in a bus head on there's going to damage no matter what you have up front unless it's this:
...If ever anyone wants to make an evil looking bus.. wow.

Wouldn't there be a chance then that whatever you'd hit with that would just roll straight up into (and through) the windshield?
JMess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Raintheory, sorry for the loss of your bus. That sucks!!! I know all this just happened and you probably haven't thought about what you are going to do with everything, but I am looking for a 2.0 for my 76. I don't want to come on your post and sound like a vulture so please don't take it like that. When you figure out what you are going to do let me know. I hope you are able to get out to Oregon and take Michelle up on her gracious offer.
raintheory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working out some logistics here and going to send you a PM Michelle. My friends in OR are about 4 hours away from coos bay, but that's a start.... Anyone know any clubs or folks in the area that wouldn't mind helping a buddy figure out what is needed to get one of them running (before we would come out there) and possibly pitch in help-wise to get it at least to Portland from there if I need any help?
raintheory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMess wrote:
Hi Raintheory, sorry for the loss of your bus. That sucks!!! I know all this just happened and you probably haven't thought about what you are going to do with everything, but I am looking for a 2.0 for my 76. I don't want to come on your post and sound like a vulture so please don't take it like that. When you figure out what you are going to do let me know. I hope you are able to get out to Oregon and take Michelle up on her gracious offer.
No worries at all man, I'll let you know after I find out what the buses out west would need from my old one.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, that is just plain sad and terrible. And again like our other guy that got wiped out by a semi, we're glad you walked away.
I'm trying to understand your pic of the skid on the pavement. Looks like a tire rubber skid and also a gouge in the pavement. Had it already rolled by the time it entered that picture? Or not rolled but a tire off of a wheel which scraped the pavement. Wondering what might have happened before that picture. And maybe ultimately wondering about when it went out of control. And further curious about the tires and if they failed somehow.
Sure hope Michelles offer will help you out. That's so cool.
raintheory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Oh man, that is just plain sad and terrible. And again like our other guy that got wiped out by a semi, we're glad you walked away.
I'm trying to understand your pic of the skid on the pavement. Looks like a tire rubber skid and also a gouge in the pavement. Had it already rolled by the time it entered that picture? Or not rolled but a tire off of a wheel which scraped the pavement. Wondering what might have happened before that picture. And maybe ultimately wondering about when it went out of control. And further curious about the tires and if they failed somehow.
Sure hope Michelles offer will help you out. That's so cool.
I'm working out some stuff with friends across the country to see of I can get out there for Michelle's awe-inspiring offer, and communicating with her via PM. I'm in WV and she's in OR, but I'm trying my best to make this happen.

I don't actually remember most of the accident, but I think from looking at the bus, the rear passenger tire burst and tore into the pavement, it's the only flat one (proper tires, less than a year old). The swerve there and skid were from the deer changing his mind and turning around (I do remember that part, he came from the right side initially and I was trying to go behind him).

In other words, right before the photo, I was moving into the right shoulder area a bit to avoid the deer.

I think the roll started right at the end of where the skid mark is.
78Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you ever recover the top?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotta ask, what kind of tires were on the bus?

Almost looks like the RF peeled off the rim in mid swerve.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
grtfldan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sry to hear about the bus, but Im glad no one was hurt. My brother and I met you @ the Manassas bug out last summer. I had the bright oarnge bay. hope all is well.
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScooterD35
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raintheory wrote:
Working out some logistics here and going to send you a PM Michelle. My friends in OR are about 4 hours away from coos bay, but that's a start.... Anyone know any clubs or folks in the area that wouldn't mind helping a buddy figure out what is needed to get one of them running (before we would come out there) and possibly pitch in help-wise to get it at least to Portland from there if I need any help?

While I've been floating around The Samba for many years I post pretty rarely, mostly because someone else beats me to my comment and I see no reason to be repetitive.

The spirit of this thread is incredibly inspiring and Michelle's offer brought tears to my eyes as well.

Like most folks these days we're pretty broke but I'd be happy to kick in $20 to a collection to have one of Karls busses transported to raintheory somehow.

Scooter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: