Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cast Rear Bumper?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Cast Rear Bumper? Reply with quote

I'm sorting through my ghia bumpers and this one seems different. I held it up to my '69 so I know for sure is that it's a '66 and older, but the pieces appear to be cast metal, not stamped. On the back side, there's a casting line outside of the bracket mount that I don't see on another rear bumper corner I have. It's a complete rear bumper with overriders/towel bars and brackets, but I don't know what its off of.

Were certain years cast and others stamped?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earliest bumper guards were cast Al, then chrome plated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not the bumper guards, the bumper blade itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, two days and 200 views later and no one knows when cast bumpers were used or when stamped steel bumpers were used? That's a first........?!?
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

six-four KG wrote:
Wow, two days and 200 views later and no one knows when cast bumpers were used or when stamped steel bumpers were used? That's a first........?!?

Karmann never used cast bumper blades. However, they did use cast aluminum bumper guards in their earlier production in the 1950's.

Is there any sign of silver paint inside the bumper? That was one hallmark of Karmann's bumpers. They began Karmann-Ghia Type 14 production with one-piece blades (out of stamped steel), but quickly switched to the three-piece blades (left, right, center pieces) for ease of supplying spares around the world. This carried on until the redesign for 1972 with the one-piece "safety" bumpers (also stamped, chromed steel).

Italian manufacturers were *crazy* about cast aluminum in the 1960's. Perhaps this mystery bumper you have is from a Fiat, Alfa Romeo, or something even more exotic/bizarre. Is there a provision (bracket with captive bolt) for its fastening to the rear fender on the side, about 2-4 inches from the ends? Do the bracket holes match those required by a Karmann-Ghia body to bumper mount bracket?
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definately a Ghia bumper, but it just has these casting marks just outside of the bracket mounts on both sides. Another rear bumper I have doesn't have these marks.

Maybe I'm trying to make something out of nothing, but I was just hoping to narrow down what year(s) it came off of.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ghia's bumpers have those too. They are welds.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a stamped bumper. Not cast.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regular old stamped steel ghia bumper, complete with rust Smile
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I just need to decide if I want to pitch it or keep it around to rust some more!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Pitch it"?! If you realized the price of good uncrumpled Ghia bumpers or even their individual pieces you probably will reconsider. It appears that you could make the bumper a "20 footer" by cleaning off the rust pockmarks with a brass wire brush, then going over the whole surface with 0000 steel wool. Scrape off the inside surface with a regular wire brush, apply a rust neutralizer, then paint the entire inner surface with a very good rust-retardent paint like MasterSeries. Dull silver, non-metallic.

Chase the bolt holes/studs with an M8x1.25 tap/die.

Since the outer "boomerang" sections do not have holes for the reverse lights, this bumper would be pre'67.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

six-four KG wrote:
Now I just need to decide if I want to pitch it or keep it around to rust some more!

If you are tossing, toss it into a sturdy box and put my address on it, I'll gladly pay the freight!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that got people stirred up. I guess I need to post my ads in the forum, not the classified section then! Thanks for all your input.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: