Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canvas issue?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chazbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Canvas issue? Reply with quote

I took a good deal of time this past weekend to install my new busdepot canvas on my 70 Westy. Tedious but it went in without a problem. That is until the end.

With the side trim pieces installed on the bottom I'm not able to fully extend the lifting arms. I had the screws out of them and can only get the bottoms of each arm about 8 inches from the point where they screw in.

The sides of the tent are fully taught but the back panel facing the rear still has a bit of slack. Almost the exact same lack of material on both sides. No mistakes about the installation. Every screw in the right place. The material was stapled exactly as the old one came out. Only way to get this to work is to shorten the arms. I don't see the canvas stretching that much before tearing the screens.

Anyone ever run into this?

BTW, it is a Just Campers top from Busdepot.
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you had the canvas before you installed it? I seem to remember talk of a bad batch from Just Kampers a while back. Maybe someone else can chime in? I just installed a JK canvas from Bus Depot a few months ago and it fits perfectly.

Is it possible you got a canvas for a later Westy with the rear-hinging top? Let's see some pics if you have 'em.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chazbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the box a couple of weeks ago so not long. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
giller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the same canvas and should be getting it shortly. If I get it on in the next few days I'll let you know how it went.

I've got a 72 west.
Chazbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here are the pictures. You can see below that the sides although fully extended do not allow the lifting struts to fully extend in thier normal position. In the picture I have them slanted away from the normal position about 12 inches from the screw holes they would normally sit on. You can also see where the rear facing panel has a good deal of slack in it still. Seems like the canvas does not allow for the curve of the roof and that the rear and sides are nearly the same legnth. In the last shot you can see how much material I'm able to pinch on the back panel while the sides are fully taught.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_category.php?id=350

Check out the tops from GoWesty. '68-'73, and '74-'79 are different. Maybe you got the wrong model year top by mistake? Just a guess.

I'm very happy with the canvas I got from GoWesty for my '78, however, the first one I got only had 3 sides, not 4! They replaced it right away, however it is very easy for whoever is sewing these up to goof them up. Who finds the mistake if there is one? YOU.

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me that there is too much slack all over for being fully extended. I did mine recently and was surprised at how taught it was when it was extended. The tent looks right but I'd like to see how you fastened the top of it with plastic strip.
They are pretty tight in those rear corners when it's up and locked in. Was there a tent in it when you started?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chazbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there was the original tent in it when I started but it was in poor shape. The only way I can get this one to work is if I shorten the arms that hold the top up. It will still leave the rear panel with a good deal of slack.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my tent and even it's hard to tell but the corners are drum tight.

When I see your tent in the photos and you said it's "fully extended" it just doesn't look like it is. It looks like it needs to "popped" or "locked" into place. I'm sure you've fiddle with it a lot but that's just what I see from the pics.
If it were me I wouldn't shorten the arms, I'd send it back if it's just not cut right.
You might find that it stretches a bit since it's new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hurst_dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 71whitewesty. It looks like you have some more leeway to stretch your canvas a little and it is probably fine. I would not shorten the arms; if there is an error in the canvas the supplier should replace it.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps, if you shorten the arms and the tent still looks like it does in the photos, it'll be a bummer Crying or Very sad
Chazbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sides are tight and I could not get more slack out of them. I was careful to make sure the canvas was installed exactly the same as the old one. Only a small fold of material and stapled. Then the strips over the top of that. There is a lot of slack in the rear panel though. I'm going to see what the Busdepot folks have to say. Something is off. The top is factory and unaltered. No reason there should be so much of a difference. I would tear the sides before I got it to look as tight as the one above.

Thanks for the input folks!
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you do your like this? There is no "fold" other than it folding back over the top of the plastic strip so it hides it.

71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned "only a small fold of material and stapled".
If I understand this right it sounds like you did a small fold in the material and then stapled it to the wood and then put the plastic strip over.
I don't think you should have put the small fold in the material, just staple it without a fold. Just guessing by your pictures that might be enough to make the difference cause it doen't look far off.
timo78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Only a small fold of material and stapled. Then the strips over the top of that.

Can you see the plastic ribbing while inside the tent? If so then it's not hung right.
A single canvas ply touches the fiberglass top and hangs over the plastic ribbing, the staples pass through the rib piece to anchor the canvas. stapling is done 'outside' the tent, and the canvas material drapes over the rib.
The few that I've done for the bus helped with have all been pretty tight in front, and loose in back.
giller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished putting my canvas on tonight - Just Kampers from Bus Depot. Seems to fit good. It's not perfect - could be a bit tighter - be it works for me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: