Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Champagne first bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I noticed that when I visited...kind of a bummer. Good Eagle Eye! How much of a priority is that? I tapped my knuckles on the windshield, it didn't seem loose or anything. Thanks for the link, too. That's handy! So far it looks like I'm going to to replace the fuel lines and hoses, tires, get the brakes checked and a tune-up... And replace the brake pads/lines if necessary. They felt pretty tight, but I don't really trust them. All the deluxe window trim is black and splotchy. The metal can be re-chromed can't it? Or would it be better to just replace it? I can't wait to vacuum it out... saw quite a bit of rat poop.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the Champagne is sorta\kinda rare and replacing original parts with crap parts will kill the overall selling price, if you ever decide to sell.

I know that if I was looking at a Champagne bus I would walk away at the first sign of cheap replacement parts.

So, do some research on this model and do your best to keep it as close to original as possible. You wont regret it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
How much of a priority is that?

I would say right after you replace the fuel lines replace that seal. You shouldn't drive it with the seal like that. The seal is what holds your windshield to your bus. Also, you're probably getting water inside the bus because of that seal. I don't have any experience with replacing seals so I can't help in that area.
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I found it on Bus Depot so I guess I'll order it ASAP! It still needs a few too many things to drive any time soon...plus I have to practice driving with a stick...kinda freaked out about it Embarassed but whatever.

Collie- You're right, I've researched quite a bit on the ol' Champagne Edition II ever since I stumbled across this one. I'm sort-of a purist, so no worries there! It's kinda-historic, so I want to make it shine...And also, with this gigantic dent in it and all this paint missing I haven't really thought about what it'd be worth if it were restored completely. Are you a fan of the Champagne yourself?

I bought some window winders thinking they would just pop on...but they screw on and I don't have screws for it! Sheeeit! *refers to bentley chapter 1* Wink Just a few more hours!!!!!!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
I have to practice driving with a stick...kinda freaked out about it Embarassed

Don't sweat that at all. I learned to drive stick in a 70 transporter. That's when my love for these Buses began. They're geared pretty low so starting out is a cinch and starting out is the hardest part of driving a manual.
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Are you a fan of the Champagne yourself?

Yes, guess so, I had one as a parts bus along time ago, it really was junk. But, the Champagne has a bunch of one year only things like the courdoroy seats, stock clock, brown dashboard and carpets, the stripe package and probably a few more things...

They are just different, thats why I like them....

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/ChampagneParts.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Champagne is now sitting on a slab of concrete in my backyard! It was too dark to get any pictures, but I'll take a lot tomorrow. Success!

Collie-Yes the brown parts are pretty cool. the rearview mirror is brown, too. The middle and back seats are in such awesome shape, I feel lucky Cool
1970 Auto Fastback FI
prairie_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Champagne Edition club!
#12, C, Bay Window forum hockey team
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: First Pics! Reply with quote

Thanks Prairie! I was hoping other champagne owners would find this thread, and I was hoping to be a part of some type of champagne 'club' haha Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

So! It rained last night, but I got up early before work to snap some pictures. Here they are!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sexy

Smile!

That roll there is some vinyl-type material that matches all the door panels in the champagne-y color. Don't mind the air filter assembly.. Embarassed haha

Ahh...feels good to be home!

What is this knob for? There are two, one on each C pillar...I'm guessing for seatbelts for the back seat, but I have no clue
1970 Auto Fastback FI
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coathooks.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: More pictures! Reply with quote

I apologize if these pictures are gigantic...they're from my phone and I can't format them on my work computer.

Sweet VW/Audi logos on the glass all the way around...except the windshield..

After I pulled the middle seat in the dark last night... and cleaned it up some-ish

Not too bad Smile

After I vacuum it out and scrub it up tonight I'll post more pictures (and hopefully ALOT smaller pictures) again I apologize Wink
1970 Auto Fastback FI

Last edited by secretsubmariner on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks busdaddy! I didn't even think of that...wonderful!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! If it were me I would not paint that thing, just clean it, wax it and roll away.....

Vaccum and maybe clean up the carpets, it looks like a nice solid ride to me.....I will post a few pics of a PERFECT example tonight so you know what everything should look like......you will love it !!!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collie-hell yeah! That'd be very interesting to see.

Today I cleaned the inside panels that popped off from the wreck. They were covered in dirt and sticky grime...

Before

After

Before...

and I forgot to take an after of that last one..but the improvement was about the same...barely noticeable through the grainy inside pics hahha Rolling Eyes

So! If it isn't raining tomorrow I'm going to vacuum this puppy up.

Figuratively speaking, of course.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: An original Champagne Editon Reply with quote

This is a one owner CE from Canada, the guy bought it brand new and has some unreal stories of what he done, and gone with, this bus....

I put all the pictures in my gallery as to not hog the OP's space here, but its so worth a look...

Enjoy!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Collie

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=15
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collie- That Champagne is soooooo sweet. Truly fantastic pictures, thanks!

Zelten- I just now saw your comment about the stick-shift. It has raised my confidence considerably Very Happy
After looking over my own interior thoroughly, it looks as though a PO has re-upholstered some of the original panels as my interior side panel has no chrome, no armrest or ashtray... but it has all the holes for it on the particle-board part

Trying out an idea to get the panels straightened out..

Pictured: Typewriter, stool

And I have a whole new problem now to add to the list.

So I'm going to take off the slider door, I guess. It feels like the rails aren't sitting right. And the hinge feels kinda dry. I've got the Bentley so I think I can figure it out. Does anyone have any tips for a first timer that aren't mentioned in the Bentley? I have this strange fear of breaking my fingers, weird I know Wink

The weather has been too cold to actually get to work on it. But I'm DETERMINED AS ALL HELL to remove that rear bumper today before sundown. We'll see. Thank you Zelten, Jtauxe, Collie, Prairie VW and everyone else for making me feel welcome. There aren't alot of visitors to this thread but I'm glad that there are those of you who stop by every once in a while.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446358

Colin has a great write up on refreshing your slider.
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Skid! Much appreciated Smile))
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you're jumping right in. I love the enthusiasm. Fixing the door is also not a problem. When I bought my bus the door would fall off if I opened it. It's a couple hours job. You may need some replacement parts and that thread that skid linked is great!
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Depot is having a sale on the Hankooks- $76 each plus shipping. I paid $70 for shipping 5 tires and a small box of seals for the bug. The local tire place wanted $99 each, so I saved $55
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 55

Jump to: