Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting ripped off on 63 ragtop?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
its gunna b bad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my baja idea I wouldnt be compromising my runnability and drivability I wouldnt think. But I appreciate the heads up...sometimes you have to learn the hard way I guess.
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its gunna b bad wrote:
But do you know why people say they arent relibale? I have even heard it from some samba members that they dont like them as DD's

Here is my $.02 about the DD thing... the way I see it is that these VW's are 30, 40, even 50+ years old... and look how many of them you still pass on the road in your travels... they must have done something right and they must be a little reliable to have so many of them still on the road... I drive about 35 miles round trip every day to work and I must see half a dozen 60's or early 70's bugs every day... sometimes even a few older ones... in fact I work with a guy that drives a '70 bug and commutes almost 60 miles each way... EVERY day for the past 7 or 8 years... he has a 2008 Toyota truck, but he drives the bug as his DD instead with no issues... has to say something about its reliability... How many other car manufactures do you see 50's, 60's and 70's models anywhere close to as often as you see VW's being used as everyday cars... they're cheap on gas, easy to maintain (if you put the time in, like guys have said), inexpensive to insure and register... sounds like a winner to me... but again, just my $.02...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingb2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: To get or not to get, that is the question. Reply with quote

A VW bug is like a Pug dog, I know I have three of them. They are so damn ugly that they are cute. These are the only cars that when people see them they smile, sure don't do that to a Ford. And if you are not a very good mechanic these cars can be intimidating. They are quite simple in nature, but not to some. Anyway whatever you do do not let the car be cut up!
H82WRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you thinking that you will get a Baja and drive it daily? Are you looking specifically for a daily? I can't imagine a Baja would be good as a daily driver either. Maybe a stock later 70's model Beetle would be a good choice? Or maybe just buy the ragtop, keep it the way it is and with the money you saved (that is an incredible deal) get a cruddy Honda for daily driving. LOL, good luck in whatever you choose. There is something about owning a classic car that is just rewarding and taking care of that piece of history. All my classics have been quirky little machines that have brought me so much fun and pride!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most I have ever daily driven a VW was 50-70/miles/day/5 days/week.

No serious problems ever but the car was in good shape to begin with and I took care of it.

The thing that did suck was that I was serious about all maintenance so it seemed like I was constantly changing the oil, greasing the front beam, tuning it up, and so on. This got tiring after a while and most of my commute was open freeway so I bought a cheap GTI just to go to/from work.

When I got a closer job (20/25 miles/day), I went back to driving my air-cooled car again.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
A 50's oval all original.....Yellow..... not likely. There weren't any yellows until the late 60's.

what about L241 bambus?

EverettB wrote:
The thing that did suck was that I was serious about all maintenance so it seemed like I was constantly changing the oil, greasing the front beam, tuning it up, and so on. This got tiring after a while ...

X2

I currently drive 120-150 miles a day in my 60. The guys at the oil recycling spot think I am running a business. Since I drive the bus there to drop off the oil they understand.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:

what about L241 bambus?

I've always thought of bamboo as a beige color, not a yellow. Different people see color differently though.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

yeah could be beige
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:

yeah could be beige

I see a yellow flavor in that photo. Kinda in the middle. Top boot is brown, paper on windshield is yellow.....hmmmmm Faded Yellow??

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
its gunna b bad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My baja idea would be simple like turn torsions, cut fenders, bigger tires, cage,seats,lights, maybe carb and exhaust, and a body lift. Not too many things that differ the drivability and runnability of a normal bug besides the larger tires and carb/exhaust I dont think. Im a decent mechanic so I dont think it would be too bad, I would need to know everything to service though as im not sure which things to watch out for.
My commute is almost 100 miles a day, mostly freeway.
Its definently yellow, like a bumble bee yellow, really bright but its a little faded now im sure.
If you guys say this is a good deal I think I might get the bug and fix the brakes and get it running good then sell it. You guys seem pretty confident that its worth more than 700 so I might give it another go around at turning profit on things. To fill you guys in: I got into VW's because I wanted a baja, my cousin said she would sale me the bug(although she didnt like the baja idea), I thought about it and said no way for a 63 ragtop to be made into a bug, so then I decided on street/show (her plan), then I thought about it and started second guessing because 1. Ive heard of reliability issues and 2. im more into offroad than street(just raises my insurance and empties my pockets).
But as a DD I just assume use a car that I actually want( a baja) with not alot of money into it so if it does brake down on me I dont have alot of money into it and I can go back to my pickup or buy a honda like one of you stated, but still use my baja as a toy. And in that picture theres a yellow paper under the wiper, I had one of those today too Mad
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Family problems happen so easily and often so innocently.
IF you are going to purchase this Beetle for a bargain price only to not drive it, turn around and sell it at a profit you have just sown the bed for serious family problems to grow.

TELL YOUR COUSIN of you plans before you do it. Money isn't worth breaking up a family over.
She may only be selling the car at this price to you because she loves you and wants to help you out.

There, I said it.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
its gunna b bad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you worry and compassion but I would never turn around and sell it without asking her first. If anybody is going to make money on it then she would be the one. I was saying I would do that but I left out the part about 'if she lets me'. And x2 to the 'family problems happen so easily'. Appreciate the advice though. I always like a fair warning before something bad is about to happen. And the yellow paper on the windsheild is the color of the bug except add 10 years+ of oxidation, thats what I mean by faded yellow. I hate taking money risks in this economy...its a gamble. It could sit in my driveway with no buyer but still be worth 1500. Or I could get 2000 from it right away to a serious buyer. Its a wash out. If I were able to sell it for 1500 that means my baja is paid for, which would really be nice so I dont have to pull money from any accounts. Maybe make some too and invest stocks into VW..is it a good time?
jmsmilin
Samba's Most Posted

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WesleyGarrard wrote:
uhhhhh, Yea! I paid 700 just for the roof of a 63 ragtop. You are getting a whole car that runs and drives. It may not stop but that is just semantics. You could not find a running and driving rust bucket for that price.
what a rip

(o\ ! /o) | o \/ o | (o)=|=(o) [o\|_|_|/o] \m/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RAMZROD
Hammered™ Apparel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:

yeah could be beige

It's my buddy's vert and it's actually beryl green. Seems that pic had a lot of flash

looking for vintage plate frame from Ramsey, NJ
Bus Build Page
http://www.hammeredapparel.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beryl??? Shocked

Blasphemy on an oval vert!!

Well here is another Bambus

mikehubschman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its gunna b bad wrote:
You even have to adjust the valves? hmm..
Yeah i wish I knew the history of every car I bought. Cant buy every car from your cousin can you?
Well I really hope I make the right decision in the end...just a guess right now its going to be pass on the 63 ragtop and keep me eyes open for a donor bug to make into a baja, my cheap baja way.
I greatly appreciate all the help everybody has given me and It would be much harder to make these decisions without all of you.
Happy VW'ing.

You still have to do the same maintainence no matter what, stock or baja, if you can't or won't don't waste your time with an AC VW at all, go buy a rice burner and drive it into the ground while enjoying heat, ac and power steering all the while.

The AC VW can be a very reliable car but if it is not given the proper maintainence it will not be. In any way, shape or form. It is good for you and better for us that you find this out now. Very Happy
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do i drive an air cooled vw as a daily driver??? yes. is it a 1965vw bus??? yes. does that other guy that keeps his cajones in his wifes purse that is scared to drive one daily??? yes . if he works on others vw aircooled and says" not good for daily driver" he swhould tell his customers"i am incompatent and you should find another mechanic that trusts his work" Confused

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: