Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remove "charcoal" system
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Remove "charcoal" system Reply with quote

Anyone got advice on removing the two charcoal cannisters and the associated lines? Obviously the system is too old to work and I want to get rid of it. Not required in SC. But wonder how to replumb the stock air filter and the vent lines at the gas tank. The vent lines need to complete some circuit. I don't want gas fumes in the hood with my gas heater. Confused
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No response. I really would like to remove this (in my state) unnessary system,,,,(particularly since it can't be working. I need to know how to re-plumb the gas tank line and the air filter (stock) lines. Help! Confused
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed both on my 74 Thing. For the one under the hood, I used a new piece of fuel line that I bought from AutoZone to connect the nipple on the far side of the filler tube to the nipple on the filler tube to complete the circuit. I have never noticed gasoline fumes caused by removing this canister. At the oil filler tube, I left the original hose in place (because it was and odd size/dia. and in good condition and simply ran it over behind the bracket that attaches the original oil bath system. A vw mechanic suggested that I leave it that way, though I cannot recall the reason and I don't use the oil bath system any longer. Hope this helps.
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was more concerned with the fuel tank plumbing than the oil bath air filter thing. It seemed to me that connecting the vent on the right side of the tank (as you see it from the front of the car) to the nipple in the filler hose made sense. That is how I will go and dump the cannisters. Thanks. Very Happy
Augie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just hooking the two vents to each other, then they really aren't venting anything, are they? Wouldn't it be easier and a cleaner installation to just plug each one off?
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I don't know, I just connected the two tank nipples together. I figured the gas tank cap would vent what ever is there. But on the rear, I plugged the nipple on the fan shroud and the nipple on the stock oil bath filter after removing the lines that went to the rear charcoal thing. This whole system strikes me as something "added" to get around the USA worry-warts. Smile
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Remove "charcoal" system Reply with quote

radioman wrote:
Anyone got advice on removing the two charcoal cannisters and the associated lines? Obviously the system is too old to work and I want to get rid of it.

What makes you think it doesn't work? There's really nothing to wear out. Unless the can is rusted out, its probably working just as intended.

The can up front is not a part to be removed. It is the expansion tank for your fuel tank. The idea is that when you fill your gas tank on a hot day, the cold fuel from the gas station's underground tanks will expand. It has to expand into somewhere. That's the job of the expansion tank up front.

Then the expanding gas also displaces gas fumes. These are vented through the long tube to the rear into the charcoal canister. Inside the charcoal canister is activated charcoal, which absorbs the fumes. Does charcoal "wear out"? No, it just gets saturated. Once the engine is running, air is forced into the charcoal canister by the hose on the fanshroud. This air draws the stored gas from the charcoal, then its drawn into the air filter to be burned.

If the hoses are in good shape, and the can isn't rusted out, the system is functioning as new. There is absolutely no performance gain in removing it. You will only be polluting more without it.

Your gas cap is not vented, so if you plug the lines to the charcoal canister, you will have fuel delivery problems. Also when the fuel expands, it will push its way out into the trunk through the sending unit or the hose connections.

Removing the system will create problems, solving none.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has been removed for years. It was plugged so tight you couldn't blow thru it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: