Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sleeping in Weekender in my driveway
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindAndSea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son has been spending most nights in Stan since March of 2008. I go out and get him and the dog at 6:15 so he can come inside and take a shower before he rides his bike to school. Icut off the camping in early December when I tuck Stan away for the winter.

I joined him out there a few times. I did not like it before I put the new shocks on, as he would sleep up top and move around and the whole van would rock this way and that as he moved! The new shocks cured that!

I like the KoolAid!!!
alot of bicycles
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny! I keep a camper parked at my daughter's house, and when we go there for a party, I don't have to worry about driving. I just crash in the camper and drive in the morning. Some of the best sleeps ever.

After her wedding my wife and I , daughter and friend just staggered out to the van in the dark, and Voila! Bedtime.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,it's abnormal. I'm the Guy that lives in the Van in the driveway.
Ever since my wife told me that our 54 inch big screen bit the dust , I have been sleeping in the Westy and watching MLB streaming through the Laptop.
Well the Big Screen has been fixed two plus months and me and the Dog "Rooney" are stiil sleeping and watching MBL in the driveway.

Rooney thinks the Westy has better snacks than the House has, and the bed is softer Yes me too!.

Welcome to driveway camping, just be careful with your camp fire!!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee

Last edited by Timwhy on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Vunderbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently returned from a three week trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons. We traveled, slept and ate like kings in our Westy! When we returned home the kids literally cried and wanted to go back. To appease them, we camped in the drive way. Well, one night turned into two and so on. My wife and daughter finally bailed in favor of beds in the house but my son and I kept it going for a few more days. School finally started for the kids and I figured that if the school caught wind that my eight year old son was living in VW camper things might get pretty weird.
1980 Westfalia
1973 Baywindow
1970 Baywindow Riviera Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Hangover Haven Reply with quote

Hangover Haven...

I'm with Joetiger about avoiding unwanted legal attention, although I'll stealth camp in Winston in the driveway or in front of a house where I've been... let us say... hospitably entertained. I bought a 0 degree sleeping bag and have been very comfortable with no heater on a November night.

I have been feeling a strange compulsion to go out at least one night and sleep in Winston in the garage. Our house is over 50 years old, but to my knowledge, no one has yet slept in the garage at all. Might as well be the first, and do so in comfort.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boegrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can!
I have thought to use my Weekender as spare quarters. It is nice with mucho memory foam, a/c and strung with Kayak lights.
Recently a terrific folk group www.TheMayhaws.com stayed with me during a concert tour.

I saw them again the next weekend in Tallahassee.
As I drove through the parking lot, Sharla June one of the lead singers exclaimed to her boyfriend....
"Look honey, there goes our Motel!"

I felt like a million dollars! Very Happy
momsvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend my 12 year old son had a friend over to spend the night. The van was all set up and when the friend arrived, my son said, "This is our room tonight!" His friend's eyes lit up and he flashed a delighted grin; as a guest, he got the top bunk. Since we are out in the desert, it's almost camping, with a coyote or javalina sometimes coming by in the wee hours, especially during a full moon.
modogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've slept in the garage, in the westy. woke up refreshed, poor a cup of coffee and used the urinal that i installed in the garage...maybe that's weird. Functional yes. Weird for nahhh
you are ok duder.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to go camping! Actually I couldn't wait. I have slept in my Westy at least
one night of each month this winter. Yes it could be extremely cold but the little electric
heater made the inside nice and toasty.

With the turn of March and having selpt in the Westy this month. I have completed a 12
month cycle which I have stayed at least one night in each of the last 12 months in my
Westy. I just wish it was warmer and nicer weather here to at least go somewhere other
than my driveway to do some camping.

Warmer days are coming, they are just not in a hurry to get here!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: