Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RPM Wiper Blades.....the verdict is in
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: RPM Wiper Blades.....the verdict is in Reply with quote

ive been needing new windshield wipers for as long as i had the Thing. i found a seller on fleabay and bought 2 RPM Thing wiper blades for 26 bucks shipped.

i hope they arent junk. i just didnt want to pay 70 bucks for a set of SWF blades.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by norcalmike on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay link please. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290540811727

Those look like the ones that came on my '73. I'm unimpressed - they flop about badly on the pivot point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Item Specifics

Availability: In Stock, Usually ships within 1-2 business days
Condition: New
Brand: RPM
OEM: 181 955 425 B/181955425B

These do correlate with the Thing parts manual page 77
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_w wrote:
Item Specifics

Availability: In Stock, Usually ships within 1-2 business days
Condition: New
Brand: RPM
OEM: 181 955 425 B/181955425B

These do correlate with the Thing parts manual page 77

Part number appears to be correct, but the "B" designation indicates a black and not aluminum color. I doubt the seller knows the difference. The parts diagram also shows a different type blade.

My Thing has different looking blades with a single spring type arm. Looks more like the one in the parts diagram

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a full report when they arrive. Hopefully, they arent the the same one Mink is talking about.
Sorry I didn't post a link. I figured they would be easy to search for. Wish us luck
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the part number reference is meant to imply that these RPM wipers are a substitute for those part numbers, and not stock wipers themselves.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally got my hands on a set of thingshop's replaceable insert blades. I have been able to get replacement blades for them at just about any place that carries inserts. I don't think they look out of place either. http://www.thethingshop.com/WIPER-BLADES-W_-RUBBER-INSERT/productinfo/181955TTS-S/
sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the po's had a brilliant idea.... They took the newer hook and welded it onto the end of the arm. Walla, nice wiper blades that can be bought at any store.... Great Idea as long as your not hooked on perfect restoration
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverThing wrote:
I personally got my hands on a set of thingshop's replaceable insert blades. I have been able to get replacement blades for them at just about any place that carries inserts. I don't think they look out of place either. http://www.thethingshop.com/WIPER-BLADES-W_-RUBBER-INSERT/productinfo/181955TTS-S/

Definately one of those no harm no foul "reasonable upgrades".
Lettuce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use generic wiper blades form the store.... drill a hole in the plastic adapter they come with and bolt them on. My wiper arms have holes in the end, so it works fine.

or make some beetle arms shorter and use new blades.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This style wiper blade was produced "for" Mercedes and had a part number that relates ti the UniMog. The UniMog, Illtis and Thing use the same wiper arms. I got a huge supply of the blades, arms, and rods for the source that provided these parts to the Canadian Govt prior to them disbanding their fleet of the aforementioned vehicles. I recently found a pair of the modified Thing arms that a person had welded the hooks to allow a modern wiper blade to fit at low cost. BUT!! remember one "thing" the Thing wiper motor is not able to move extra weight of modified blades so the lighter "military" Will be much better for your entire wiper system. I have run this style blade for years with much better wiper performance.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverThing wrote:

I just replaced mine with TTS unit. Very nice fit and went right on. Yes they are pricey but after buying two different units at the FLAPS that had poor fit and didn't look right I got tired of screwing around with it and bit the bullet.

There are plenty of other things on the car to keep me busy without having to re-engineer the wiper arms. Should be set now for any replacements.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rarely use my wipers anyway, i liked the idea of the RPM blades look like the original SWFs that are on there now. i didnt want to have to hack and cut.
a fellow thing owner i know has his wiper arms modified to accept FLAPS style blades and he cant put his windshield down because they hit the hood if he does. and nobody wants that Shame on you
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i got them today. shipping time was ok. a little slow for priority shipping from LA to Sacramento but not horrible.

as far as the quality. meh, not bad. i had to do a little light tweeking for them to sit flat on the windsheild and i crimped the pivit on it because the blade was pretty sloppy.

hey, for 26 bucks, i cant complain. i rarely use my wipers anyway so i just needed something on there just in case.

i was wrong about them looking like my SWF blades. i had the original style with the bow attached to the blade. these are just a mounting pivot directly on the blade housing
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: wiper fix Reply with quote

easy fix use a bosch wiper blade adapters in box slide on drill one pop rivet now you can use inserts great hold wipes great and cheap dennis domeck
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does your window fold down without the wipers scratching the hood?
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: wiper blades Reply with quote

no problems with the windshield brother ron domeck has them on all his things runs with the windshield down all the time dennis domeck
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats good.
a friend of mine had the same type of wiper mod as you do. he couldnt drop his windshield so i avoided that plan.
either way, i got some new blades now that will probably last me 5 years at least
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

took me a while to figure it out, yes my wipers hit the hood when lowered.

I studied and studied till the thought hit me, I wonder if it is the height of the arm assembly. kept looking at shaft exposure or bushing housing thickness etc

That definitely appears to be the case. I have the Thing Shop replacement arm/blade unit.

for now, will keep the hood up. definitely do not see much rain (as fair weather driver)

first time searched, good information here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: