Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Bluestar from Germany...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of people thinking about the Carrera 4 trans and front diff but haven't heard or read anyone having completed the swap. Sounds like a very interesting project. I like the choice of AAN though are not inexpensive here either. The was a recent magazine article about someone taking an Audi 20-valve down the 687hp path and putting it in a 944. They mentioned having done 800hp+ on another vehicle. I've seen the insides of a T3/T25 trans. Clockwork gears come to mind. Carrera 4 gears should be much more robust.

Cheers,

BenT
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the rear filler panels between the tail lights standard Euro? Standard Bluestar? Or what?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenT Syncro wrote:
Clockwork gears come to mind. Carrera 4 gears should be much more robust.

Too much go makes hamburger of the stock gearing......

TDIs and SVXs can make a meal out of the transmission guts fairly fast.

We have one recent SVX conversion in our family circle that now has growling coming from the transmission.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Are the rear filler panels between the tail lights standard Euro? Standard Bluestar? Or what?

They came on the euro carat, witch was the top of the line with all the goodies, and star and LLE versions. they are not very common, bot not rare either, and go for 100-200$ around here. there are new repro's too, made by one of the German places

Ex-vans:
1990 Caravelle coach 1.6TD
1986 Transporter Double cab syncro 2.1 112hp

"I'm wrong so often... It's great!" - Adam Savage
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

They're called Blenders. They were fitted to the Bluestar, Whitestar, LLE and I think the Carat. They will fit to all vans as they clip around the rear lights. They come up on German ebay regularly for under 100 euros.

I'm looking forward to that 5 cylinder burble Very Happy

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MKIII and Sons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interested in shipping the clear tail lights to the states?
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKIII iz KING wrote:
interested in shipping the clear tail lights to the states?

Wow I should start selling these Laughing

You're the third person who has expressed an interest.

I'll PM you with some info.

Something else I realised today is that the DJ is running in Digijet as they come. Also I remember that one of the vacuum hoses from the distributor is disconnected and once the engine was warmed up, it spluttered away from tickover so there's some work to be done.

MG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on the engine...

Looking again at the engine, it's running a piggy back ECU system (arrow in yellow) leading to lots of extra connectors (in blue), some of which aren't connected and I've also highlighted the vacuum pipe which isn't connected up (in red).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think that system will be coming out and I'll try to get it running as per factory on the Digijet system.

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update on the Bluestar.

I bought a belt for the aircon pump to see if anything would work... belt fitted... no go Sad so I guess it's time to have it re-gassed and see what works!

Also had a chance to look at the fuel leak... looks to just be an old fuel filter so will fit a new one pronto.

Had a look at the vacuum pipes to and from the dizzy, turns out they're all cracked etc so have replaced and refitted... it now starts and idles a lot happier without idling at 2,000rpm all the time!

Also had a closer look at the coolant leak.. I think it's leaking from between the thermostat housing the cylinder head Crying or Very sad not nice to fix. I'll need to get in there properly to have a look and check it's not just a temp sensor seal (that'd be nice!). If not, I'll pull it off and fit a new seal. Here's hoping the bolts will come undone!

MG
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check to see if there's any residual pressure in the AC. If not, then you'll want to replace the dryer (or you can put in the oven for a spell to remove moisture) and then pull a sustained vacuum to remove all system moisture. Personally, I'd charge it initially with propane to see if it can maintain head pressure for any amount of time and observe for leaks. If it checks out, then I'd opt for your refrigerant of choice. If not, then you'll be able to fix the leaks and start over. I sure wish more Vanagon folks would take the effort to save the AC systems in these vans.

y u rune klassik?
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'd check to see if there's any residual pressure in the AC. If not, then you'll want to replace the dryer (or you can put in the oven for a spell to remove moisture) and then pull a sustained vacuum to remove all system moisture. Personally, I'd charge it initially with propane to see if it can maintain head pressure for any amount of time and observe for leaks. If it checks out, then I'd opt for your refrigerant of choice. If not, then you'll be able to fix the leaks and start over. I sure wish more Vanagon folks would take the effort to save the AC systems in these vans.

I removed one of the caps and quickly pressed the centre of valve.. there was a small 'hiss' so there is something in there... even if it's not enough. I just need to find someone who can refill R12 or equivalent!

Thanks for the ideas on propane. I'm hoping that as it's still got some pressure in it, it'll be ok along with the dryer.

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've sold the Carat wheels and as the only other 5X112 wheels and tyres I have spare at the moment are the Tristar wheels...

They're not staying on it but will do until my other Porsche wheel arrives from U.S.

It needs lowering and the I'll be swapping the front tyres from 225/50/16s to 205/60/16s, otherwise I'm happy.

Oh yeah... need to do the sliding door extension mod Laughing

I took a couple more pics of stuff I haven't really had a chance to look at yet.

Here's the Webasto heater fitted... not sure if this is going to stay or not but it's definately not staying put here!

A photo of the extra brake pipes for the ABS as promised...

I went looking for the gearbox code and found that it's an AAP, what's more it's an exchange box from VW! Result Smile

While I was looking for that, I noticed a weird bracket that I've not seen before.

It looks like someone lost the proper clutch slave cylinder support bracket and made one up instead!

You can see the last photo (sorry for the blurriness!), the coolant leak from the thermostat housing. I'm guessing from this that it's cracked so I'll fit a Syncro one I have kicking around.

MG
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about a beefed up slave cylinder support for quite some time. I've had a persistent problem with air entering my clutch system (master cyl) and have had to do periodic bleedings ever since buying the van 7 years ago. Each time I've done this, I've noticed significant movement of the stock slave bracket, which seems a bit excessive to my eyes. I might very well copy that brace--thanks!

y u rune klassik?
Brickwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All them extra bits are similar to a ford pulse air set up.
It takes filtered air and under certain conditions bleads it into the intake to induce a lean mixture.
Lean mixtures run hot.
It's to get the cat to "light" earlier.
the kit you have was a retro fit cat kit along with this air bleed to gain some emmisions ticket in Germany.
I'm no German emmisions expert but they have stopped vehicles going into cities now unless they meet certain emmisions criteria, the kits were to allow older vehicles to comply with new legistlation.
We see quite a few through the workshop.
chances are it also has a lambda sensor, a small ECU and what looks like a N75 valve.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up in Leeds at present (where my parts store is) and I've pulled out the S6 motor to have a look at...

It needs a clean!!

I've started making a list of the bits I need to get the engine running and then bolt it in... this may take a while!

MG
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to this build!!
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be another 'engineering it as you go'! type deal Laughing

Only a couple of the South African water hoses will work on this engine due to it being 20V instead of 10V.

I've managed to keep most of the induction pipes so I'll be fitting the chargecooler in a similar place to the original intercooler.

Import discovery this evening that the engine had air con, which saves me looking for an air con pump bracket as it already has one Smile . Just need the pump now and I can get the aux belt fitted and then remove the viscous fan hub.

The engine was from an Auto car but the engine loom doesn't include the auto ECU so I'm hoping I can just plug a manual ECU in and it'll run (after coding in immobilisers etc).

I'm going to get the engine running on the floor (or hoist) as I've never heard this one run and I want to know it's ok! I'm not going to run it for long (no cooling system etc) but long enough to know that there are no horrible noises!

Once I know that it runs, I'll concentrate more on the 996 to S6 fitment and then getting the setup bolted into the van. Lots to do!

MG
taigagreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be interesting. As always Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the messing around over the wheel in the states I needed to make up the set of four Porsche wheels, I couldn't believe it yesterday when one popped up on ebay only 7.5 miles away from where I was (in Leeds) so I've now managed to put the set together and they'll be going on the Bluestar along with the adaptors once I get back down south.

Again, I don't think these wheels will be the final word on the Bluestar but it'll be interesting to see how it looks with them on.

The set is made out of two pairs of front wheels, two Boxster 18X7.5s with 225/40/18s and two 996 C4S 18x8s with 235/40/18s. The idea with going for not too wide rears is that you can fit them without having to change the sliding door hinge.

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the stock 30mm lower springs are sold so just for the moment, it's now got a pair of Syncro front springs with a coil lopped off along with Koni adjustables and the Koni coilovers at the back. The rear springs are too short as they're wound all the way up and it's sitting on the bump stops

MG
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: