Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon/Syncro Solstice, May 12 -15 2011
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Classicvibe, ithinkso, keving, otiswesty, ashafer, Williamtaylor33, AnmlMthrM60, pachec, Vanderpooch, GWTWTLW, fairweather, Love My Westy, vwlovr, msewalson, Rocky Mountain Westy, joetiger, connorsvw2, Farfrumwork, MadMarkuss, Vanderpooch, carterzest, davevickery, Syncronicity, FNGRUVN, tencentlife, Mathew Zelezen...

I am definitely in, barring any disasters. Will be ready to meet up with the I-70 group late morning or early afternoon in Glenwood Springs, CO on the 12th. Exit 116 or 114. Keep me in the loop with your traveling plans.
________oo_oo
/ /__/___[_____\
I I======[]IIIII[]
()_)------()_)----)_)
nelinor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there. Anyone else leaving from the socal area?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
carterzest wrote:
tencentlife wrote:
When you said you were coming in 2WD I was going to say you can co-pilot with me anytime, Jeff, I'd be honored (copilots get to fly the plane too, y'know).

Look forward to meeting everyone, this is gonna be great!
Nice. That is a good way to convince a guy on his next engine purchase indeed Wink WOOOOOT! And, after several North West Mog Fest's, driving Alaric's monster syncro Westy, Riding with Lucas in GoWesty1, riding with Tom in his Syncro, Riding in a Pinz, Riding in a Mog.....I will take very little convincing to step up to the Syncro side Laughing

Well I knew you were designated shotgun for so many other rigs, so I figgered you were the man for the job.

I mean it's BLM country, someone has to open and shut the gates (that's why cowboys fight over the bitch slot, y'know).
Yeeeee Hawwwwww....I get to bring my hat Wink I think I am going to be doing the Mullendore Port before my trip. My heater fan just started growling Evil or Very Mad
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathew Zelezen wrote:
I'm in!

The EMT Final is on the 12th so either way I'm going to want to get out of Phoenix and relax!

Anybody from the south west want to caravanagon?

Good luck on your final. Is it a state test or the NREMT? Basic, Intermediate or Paramedic?

Just remember AIRWAY, AIRWAY and AIRWAY.

Try to pick the rightest answer, 2 obviously wrong answers and 2 right answers but never straight forward.
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farfrumwork wrote:
"Kermitt's" parking lot? where hwy6 meets I-70. The restaurant is defunct and there is a decent size lot.

We always roll hwy6 out of Golden to go up I-70.

guess i should say im probably in as well--fer moab and caravan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^You're not going anywhere... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Maybe we can finally race? You ARE going to be hauling a lot of weight, right? The more the better.

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farfrumwork wrote:

Maybe we can finally race? You ARE going to be hauling a lot of weight, right? The more the better.

hopefully i can make it, that month is already getting pretty booked, BUT, it will probably just be me--so you got no chance. i guess i could throw a moto on the back just to make it more fair--haha

careful, i might camp in front of your house and start the caravan there
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make a May trip. It's too close to our June trip which will be taking us through Moab. I was hoping it would be right before or after Telluride. Maybe next year!
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mblotz wrote:
Farfrumwork wrote:

hopefully i can make it, that month is already getting pretty booked, BUT, it will probably just be me--so you got no chance. i guess i could throw a moto on the back just to make it more fair--haha

careful, i might camp in front of your house and start the caravan there

HAHA - I'm throwing the whole family in your rig then (dog and all)... maybe the cooler and totes as well.

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
bac914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 8 year old son and I will be coming...We'll be trekking out of Denver as well, but thinking of heading to Fruita on Wednesday evening and riding there Thursday morning while the rest of you all drive out. So keep me posted on the caravan.
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
Unfortunately, I will not be able to make a May trip. It's too close to our June trip which will be taking us through Moab. I was hoping it would be right before or after Telluride. Maybe next year!

It is right before Telluride... you just need to kill a couple weeks in Moab/Lasalles/Naturita/Ouray between SyncroSolstice and Telluride.

pd
Vanderpooch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all but given up on this...Stoked!! See yas there!
seang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: is their a website ? Reply with quote

Is all the info discussed in this thread on a site and summarized ?

Thanks
Sean
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Vanagon/Syncro Solstice, May 12 -15 2011"

Classicvibe wrote:
Putting together a relatively informative post here because I think it will take a couple of days to get around to getting the site up. I will continue to update THIS POST with changes until I can get the site live, so please review the "Last Edited" at the bottom to see when changes have taken place. Without further ado...

sol·stice
    /ˈsɒlstɪs, ˈsoʊl-/[sol-stis, sohl-]
    1. A highest point or culmination

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Syncro Solstice...a Transporter Jamboree
    This weekend event is specifically geared towards both 2wd and 4wd vans, and the families that love them. You will find adventures that suit every driving style, life style, age and van capability. We'll chase dinosaurs, pursue geologic wonders, and take our vans to places most have never seen. We'll mountain bike and run rivers, hike and climb and play in the dirt. We'll meet with those wonderful people that make up the community, learn about new systems and gadgets and "how they did it." Within the safety of this supportive community, each of us will find ourselves exploring new boundaries of Transporter life, returning home with our own unique story and success, new friends and knowledge. Details below...

Dates: May 12, 13, 14 & 15, 2011
    We would like to give people a travel day (Sunday), so there will be few "official" events that day.
    Camping all 3 nights (12, 13, 14).
    Full moon weekend!
    Come when you can, we will be waiting for you!

We have chosen an amazing base camp just west of Moab enroute to Dead Horse Point and Island in the Sky in an area called "Big Flat" which borders Pucker Pass/Long Canyon on Long Canyon Road.

Directions:
    From any direction, you are making your way towards U.S. Route 191 in Utah...

then to the State Route 313 (SR-313) - Dead Horse Point Mesa Scenic Byway.

SR 313 is an access road for both the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands National Park and Dead Horse Point State Park. The highway is a toll road in Dead Horse Point State Park. Westbound traffic is charged a state park entrance fee at the park boundary which is beyond our base camp. You will find the the northern entrance of Utah Highway SR 313 (Dead Horse Mesa) Scenic Byway at mile marker 136.8 on US 191, 11 miles north of downtown Moab, Utah or 20 miles south of Exit 180 on I-70 at Crescent Junction.

Coming from the south, south-west or south-east:
    You will access U.S. Route 191 via the Navajo Nation in South East Utah via the 160 & 163 from the South or South-west). Take come time to enjoy this area. A sunrise in mittens in unforgettable. For those coming from the south east, you will likely pick up the 191 or the 491.

Coming from the east, west or north
    You are just carving your way toward exit 180 to Crescent Junction & Moab on I-70 in Utah.

Base Camp: Bag Flat/Pucker Pass
    About 16.5 miles up the SR 313, you will notice "Long Canyon Road" veering off the the left. Long Canyon Road is a well-groomed dirt/gravel road traveling about 3 miles to the base camp. Base camp is perched atop Pucker Pass, overlooking long canyon, the La Sal Mountains and the Moab Valley.

Site: We have some exposed camping upon the slickrock overlooking the canyon, and some less exposed sand spots. Both offer even terrain where campfires are allowable. This area has no improvements such as tables, shade, shelters or crappers. These are all things we will bring in with us, and things we will take away.

A note on crappers...we believe we will be ordering some "Johnny on the Spots" just to simplify things, to make camp more enjoyable for all. Tell your wives and children there will be quality crappers (if Moab has any to rent)!"

A close-up of our camp spot, the area just above the S-turn (Long Canyon Road then drops into Long Canyon and exits along 279 to Potash/Moab.
    http://tinyurl.com/4ne4h3f

A note on hotels...They are totally cool, and may be a great way to get your family to come out with you if this is all new. Town is not far, and there are many things to do. Do not feel like this is a "camp or nothing" event. I would recommend the base camp for all, but for those looking for a daily shower and a quiet bed, please, get yourself a hotel room and we will wee you at the Solstice!

A note on showers...Please note the noted swim holes. There are also some pay showers at various places in Moab, so no worries. We will release more detailed info on this and more soon.

A note on what to bring...List to be released shortly.

A note on access...The drive to base camp is about 40 minutes from town via SR 313. It may be possible to get to town via Long Canyon Road (down), but the trip back up is likely too dangerous due to flooding erosion over the last few years. We will verify as we get closer to the arrival date.

Looking down Long Canyon from a site just down from Pucker Pass, below the eroded area.

Trails Runs: Daily adventures for the kind of exploring that fits you best! Each trail is led by 1 or 2 experienced drivers (one in the front and one in the rear).
    * Scenic Backroads: Routes designed to cover some territory...light duty and big scenery! Dirt/Gravel and light "off road" - 2wd/4wd
    * Offroad Xplorations: Focus on getting drivers familiar with off-road fundamentals and van capabilities. See why Moab is famous and improve your skills! - 2wd/4wd
    * Obstinate Obstacles: AWD or rear locker needed (clearance helpful) to tackle these famous trails. Up your game on Moab's finest.
    * Death Cookies: Pure spectacle. Bring your popcorn and watch the big rigs mash metal. Guaranteed carnage. AWD & Locker necessary.

Afternoon Delight: Adventures outside the van

* Geology Tours and Dino runs - we will venture to those seen and unseen places to marvel at geologic wonders and the prehistoric patchwork that makes Moab so incredible. We will search fossils, petroglyphs and Dino tracks, and walk in the steps of Giants
    * Mountain Biking - Pick a trail that suits your style, led by one of our local gurus. You will see some of those rare trails the "in the know" folks will rarely share. you can rent equipment in Moab. All levels, all ages!
    * Surf the Giant - Run the Colorado with your group or Solo. We will have a trained guide leading the adventure. You can rent your equipment in Moab. All levels, all ages!
    * Swimmin' holes - our favorite go-to spots to cool off!
    - Mill Creek North Fork http://www.climb-utah.com/Moab/mill.htm
    -- From the town of Moab, go southeast on Mill Creek Dr. (don't take the left fork, which leads to the Slickrock Mountain Bike Trail) and go onto Powerhouse Lane (less than 1 mile from town). Park at the end of this road. The trail leading out of this lot, which is a continuation of the road, leads upstream to the dam (about a 10 minute walk) , where most people swim. For more swimming places, continue on this trail past the dam, hiking upstream to where Mill Creek and its Left Fork come together. There are swimming places up both of these forks, each about .3 miles up. From the lot, there is also a smaller trail that heads downstream, about a 1 minute walk, to a small swimming hole about 5 feet deep with 8 foot and 10 foot jumps from the rocks. Local kids dam the stream here to increase its depth.

- Moab Aquatics Center http://www.moabcity.state.ut.us/residents/FacilityDetail.cfm?mode=summary&id=1149436378328
    - Colorado River (at the bridge)

Camplife: What to expect during the unexpected

* "Modified," our daily tech courses will distribute that tacit information, from guru you the rest of us.
    * Campfires - hot and huge, desert style
    * Acoustic Jam - we will spread it thick, so bring something to bang on.
    * Dinner - We will serve tin-foil dinner for you hungry and tired folks on your first night in camp. You just get here safe and we'll do the rest! We are considering a Utah-style dutch oven potluck for night 2. Details to come...

A typical day might look something like this:

8:00-8:45 a.m. - Modified
    9:30-12:00 p.m. - Morning Trail Run
    - Scenic Backroads
    - Offroad Xplorations
    - Obstinate Obstacles
    - Death Cookies
    12:00-1:30 p.m. - Lunch
    1:30-4:30 p.m. - Afternoon Delight
    - Dino Tracks
    - Petroglyphs
    - Mtn Biking
    - Colorado River Run
    - Geology Tours
    - More Trail runs
    - etc.
    4:30-6:15 p.m. - Socials
    - Van Visits
    - Time in Town
    - etc.
    6:15-7:00 - Evening Mods
    7:00 - Dinner is Served
    9:00 - Light up the fire!

There is much more to detail, but this should give us all something to chew on. We expect fees to be very small, and we will begin registration shortly.

Resources[list]* Here is a great Canyonlands National Park Map that details the area where we are camping and playing, so you can follow these discussions on trails and geology: http://www.nps.gov/pwr/customcf/apps/maps/showmap....nal%20Park
* A little "heresay" on the Mineral Bottom reconstruction: http://worldaccordingtopedro.blogspot.com/2011/01/mineral-bottom-road-update-ii.html
* Mineral Bottom is Looking good-it may just be done it time! - http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/public/sites/269/assets/HZPZ_05_mineral_bottom.jpg

AFAIK, this is still the plan. Wink
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many from Salt Lake City area are going?
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksaholic wrote:
GWTWTLW wrote:

It is right before Telluride... you just need to kill a couple weeks in Moab/Lasalles/Naturita/Ouray between SyncroSolstice and Telluride.

pd

I would have absolutely no problem filling the time! Unfortunately, I would probably find myself unemployed and looking for someplace else to live if I did. Hmmm, that might not be so bad...
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
Volksaholic wrote:
GWTWTLW wrote:

pd

I would have absolutely no problem filling the time! Unfortunately, I would probably find myself unemployed and looking for someplace else to live if I did. Hmmm, that might not be so bad...
ASWAH, is that you using Pete's Samba ID Shocked Shocked
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy folks, quick update on progress with the Solstice.

Web Site:
I think we will have something official rolling in the next few days, and we will slowly get the support pages up to follow. The site designer was a bit ambitious Laughing so we are trimming the fat and doing what we can in quickest manner we can. www.SyncroSolstice.com

Schedule:
For the most part, it remains the same as what we have posted here. We are debating some event details based on speculative attendee numbers. You can throw your hat in the ring for a soft "I'll be there" by going over to this roll call thread, which we will use until the official registration gets rolling. Numbers have an immense impact on this event, so please let us know what you are thinking: Syncro Solstice Roll Call, West Moab, Utah, May 12-15 2011

Costs:
They are pretty low right now and we intend to keep this all simple and inexpensive. With a better idea of numbers over this next week we can really get down to an good idea of the costs.

Planning:
It is difficult to formalize something you really want to keep mellow, but better planning we allow for a more relaxed experience in the end. We all know that we could all just show up with our vans alone and just have the best time ever. We are trying to create an event that gives us all the opportunity to explore, and learn, and improve skills, and meet people, and have the best time available in the short time we are there, while still making you feel like our time is your own...tricky stuff, I think we are going to nail it!

Questions, comments, requests and staff:
Please post or PM me your questions or comments or requests. You can still shape the event. Are you looking for an awesome T-shirt as well? There may be a few openings for folks to help out still (our head count will dictate this):

- Do you have experience on a trail particular in Moab, and are you interested in leading a trail run, and showing others your great trip? Perhaps you would like to be the "trail tail" which keeps the groups moving and kicks stragglers in the can and helps folks "get-r-dun?" We may have one or two slots open still. "Syncro Solstice Trail Master" T-shirts and van-flags go to every trail master. PM me and we will discuss.

- Do you have a Mod you would like to share? We may have an opening or two still for Instructors. Morning Mod Instructors get a "Syncro Solstice Mad Professor" T-shirt. PM me and we will discuss!

Please let me know if I have blatantly missed conveying some important info here and I will hop on it! See you soon!

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
Howdy folks, quick update on progress with the Solstice.

Web Site:
I think we will have something official rolling in the next few days, and we will slowly get the support pages up to follow. The site designer was a bit ambitious Laughing so we are trimming the fat and doing what we can in quickest manner we can. www.SyncroSolstice.com

Schedule:
For the most part, it remains the same as what we have posted here. We are debating some event details based on speculative attendee numbers. You can throw your hat in the ring for a soft "I'll be there" by going over to this roll call thread, which we will use until the official registration gets rolling. Numbers have an immense impact on this event, so please let us know what you are thinking: Syncro Solstice Roll Call, West Moab, Utah, May 12-15 2011

Costs:
They are pretty low right now and we intend to keep this all simple and inexpensive. With a better idea of numbers over this next week we can really get down to an good idea of the costs.

Planning:
It is difficult to formalize something you really want to keep mellow, but better planning we allow for a more relaxed experience in the end. We all know that we could all just show up with our vans alone and just have the best time ever. We are trying to create an event that gives us all the opportunity to explore, and learn, and improve skills, and meet people, and have the best time available in the short time we are there, while still making you feel like our time is your own...tricky stuff, I think we are going to nail it!

Questions, comments, requests and staff:
Please post or PM me your questions or comments or requests. You can still shape the event. Are you looking for an awesome T-shirt as well? There may be a few openings for folks to help out still (our head count will dictate this):

- Do you have experience on a trail particular in Moab, and are you interested in leading a trail run, and showing others your great trip? Perhaps you would like to be the "trail tail" which keeps the groups moving and kicks stragglers in the can and helps folks "get-r-dun?" We may have one or two slots open still. "Syncro Solstice Trail Master" T-shirts and van-flags go to every trail master. PM me and we will discuss.

- Do you have a Mod you would like to share? We may have an opening or two still for Instructors. Morning Mod Instructors get a "Syncro Solstice Mad Professor" T-shirt. PM me and we will discuss!

Please let me know if I have blatantly missed conveying some important info here and I will hop on it! See you soon!
PM Sent Johnny! Wink
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. Wanted to keep this updated as there are 2 threads. One is a roll call and this one is the details. Sounds like Classicvibe is making good progress and we have incredible response so far.
Keep an eye on both.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=455809&start=40

Can't wait to post up a bunch of trip pics =)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 25

Jump to: