Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Forced air vents in the 2 side rear windows of 89 Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Forced air vents in the 2 side rear windows of 89 Westy Reply with quote

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with the rubber seals, that run vertically along the side of these vents where they meet up with the glass, causing leaks. Also, and more importantly, does anyone know if they are even necessary to have on these windows?... Besides ventilation do they aid in any sort of functioning or performance of the bus at all? Can anyone see any substantial reason not to just do away with the vents all together?

I measured the back windows on an older westy, that does not have these vents, and it looks as though the glass is the same size, they are just lacking these forced air vents so they are simply one solid piece of glass..

My idea is to just replace the existing glass, that has the attached vents, with glass from an older Westy that was made prior to these vents having been incorporated into the design.

Any and all advice, and or information, on this would be greatly appreciated..
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that the vents are an asset to the overall ventalation of the car. There aren't any windows to open back there. The old glass will swap in if you really want to do away with the vented ones

Good Luck,

Hans
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the vans that do not have these vents, the interior air are vented through slots located at the front edge of the front door and the amount of air vented is controlled by the slides at the rear of the front door panels. In later vans, a rubber strip was added to the gap between the front edge of the front door and the fender ( can we call them that ? ) to lower the wind noise. The interior air need a place to escape so the vents were added at the two rear side glass. Tapes were added to the holes behind the two front door slides although the slide controls are still there.
BTW, the vans that has the rear vents do not have slots at the front doors.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm hi-jacking.......would there be any advantage in adding the vents?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the later style vented windows to my '85 and found the airflow to the rear passengers to have improved. I prefer to have them than not, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find them. If you can score a set for cheap and you often have passengers in the rear then I would say go for it.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thread-jacking... Very Happy

How does one go about removing the foam filters inside those vents?
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Another thread-jacking... Very Happy

How does one go about removing the foam filters inside those vents?

Mine were so brittle and dirty that when I went to clean them they disintegrated. I replaced them with some heavy duty scrub pads, the burly blue ones from the hardware store. I figured it would keep out bothersome insects should they find their way past the rubber flap and will stand up to a good vacuuming.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:

Mine were so brittle and dirty that when I went to clean them they disintegrated.

Yeah, mine are filthy as well and I'd love to thoroughly clean/replace them. But, when I looked at the passenger side, I couldn't see any way to just pop the filter out, hence my question. Can the filters only be removed by taking out the entire assembly? If so, how does that assembly come out? Confused
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r.e.wing_fc3s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want these for my van. however vw updated them again for ther soth africa version by making the rear exhaust air exit behind the engine compartment vents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
1621 wrote:

Mine were so brittle and dirty that when I went to clean them they disintegrated.

Yeah, mine are filthy as well and I'd love to thoroughly clean/replace them. But, when I looked at the passenger side, I couldn't see any way to just pop the filter out, hence my question. Can the filters only be removed by taking out the entire assembly? If so, how does that assembly come out? Confused

Unfortunately the filter is designed to be a permanent item, not something to pop out and replace. I ended up removing the filter as best as I could using needle nosed pliers and small vacuum attachments. Once this is done you'll see a small channel in which to carefully slide your new filter medium in - in my case I used the cut down scouring pads. I used a series of small tools to coax the pieces into place. This work was performed on the bench as I had not installed the windows in my van yet. I don't see any reason why the passenger side couldn't be done in place. If you have a Westy closet blocking the driver's side vent, you may want to simply leave it be.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say scouring pads what exactly are u referring to? I know you said the heavy duty burly blue ones from the hardware store. Is there something else I could use if I cant find those?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something like this:
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/50-268...04603.aspx

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=MMM+7447

Depending on the store or supplier there are different sizes and densities.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71MYSTABOO

Thanks....
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I read somewhere that people camping with these updated vents were bummed at the amount of cold air they let in at night? And something about them being difficult or impossible to effectively block off from inside to sleep warmly?

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Thought I read somewhere that people camping with these updated vents were bummed at the amount of cold air they let in at night? And something about them being difficult or impossible to effectively block off from inside to sleep warmly?

DougM

I've read an account like that before as well, somewhere in here most likely. I've not found this to be the case at all. If the little rubber flap that seals from the outside is intact, I really can't see this becoming an issue.
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:

DougM

I've read an account like that before as well, somewhere in here most likely. I've not found this to be the case at all. If the little rubber flap that seals from the outside is intact, I really can't see this becoming an issue.

I've never noticed this either. We stay toasty warm inside when camping. My vents don't even have any of the foam in them anymore. I've never seen any ill effects from not running the foam (insects/smells/cold air/etc).

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran across this and I thought that I would Tie these two threads together:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=20
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: