Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water heater product from Coleman
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Water heater product from Coleman Reply with quote

I have some REI vouchers burning a hole in my pocket and plans to refit my '87. So, with a blank canvas I was wondering about hot water (mostly for showers after surfing)

I could go the lo-fi route of the black shower bag (I've seen pictures on the samba of a nice install with shower curtain hanging from the rear door) Or I could geek out and plumb in this thing
http://www.rei.com/product/723274

What are people thoughts on that?

thanks /pauric

'87 2.1. 125K 4spd Not rebuilt "Red Dwarf"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Water heater product from Coleman Reply with quote

RadioRental wrote:
I have some REI vouchers burning a hole in my pocket and plans to refit my '87. So, with a blank canvas I was wondering about hot water (mostly for showers after surfing)

I could go the lo-fi route of the black shower bag (I've seen pictures on the samba of a nice install with shower curtain hanging from the rear door) Or I could geek out and plumb in this thing
http://www.rei.com/product/723274

thanks /pauric

Try this.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217484

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good reviews - I say go for it.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Water heater product from Coleman Reply with quote

RadioRental wrote:

Kinda like a low volume flash heater... I like the idea for camping chores.
Nice luxury item.

But I am not so sure about the volume towards a post-surf shower. If you're looking to just take the edge of a cold dousing.. luke warm? Maybe.. But how would you get the flow volume to really rinse salt and sand off?

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
dipple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these for an extended trip (40 000km) last year and it worked really well. My only criticism is the amount of room it takes up and the actual amount of time we used it. It was great for showers after extended periods of no campgrounds or parks and is quite versatile overall. It is great for dishwater but will not make tea. I will continue to bring mine as it solved the problem of needing to pay for campgrounds for showers and was great for a warm rinse after surfing. You are only limited by your access to water. I also bought a Honda 2000 generator to deal with recharging batteries.The systems while slightly bulky fit on my hitch rack and served it's purpose at a reasonable cost.

Last edited by dipple on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Water heater product from Coleman Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
RadioRental wrote:

Kinda like a low volume flash heater... I like the idea for camping chores.
Nice luxury item.

But I am not so sure about the volume towards a post-surf shower. If you're looking to just take the edge of a cold dousing.. luke warm? Maybe.. But how would you get the flow volume to really rinse salt and sand off?

Most of the reviews on REI talk about it being a great shower. The final review nail it for me as it says "if you know how to warm yourself up in a wetsuit...' Anyway. I know the wife would love hotwater. My plans are to grab this and see it I can plumb it in to the sink as well as split it out to a showerhead. Spec's say it can run off bulk propane, so I'll see if I can tap in to the main tank.

Thanks all /pauric

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dipple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plumbing it direct will be my next project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dipple wrote:
I bought one of these for an extended trip (40 000km) last year and it worked really well. My only criticism is the amount of room it takes up and the actual amount of time we used it. It was great for showers after extended periods of no campgrounds or parks and is quite versatile overall. It is great for dishwater but will not make tea. I will continue to bring mine as it solved the problem of needing to pay for campgrounds for showers and was great for a warm rinse after surfing. You are only limited by your access to water. I also bought a Honda 2000 generator to deal with recharging batteries.The systems while slightly bulky fit on my hitch rack and served it's purpose at a reasonable cost.

Cheers Dipple, that's sold it I think. I'm ripping out all the chipboard cabinets from my 87 this summer so I'll make a dedicated compartment for this.

/pauric

j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Water heater product from Coleman Reply with quote

RadioRental wrote:
The final review nail it for me as it says "if you know how to warm yourself up in a wetsuit...'

Laughing I do.. but thats with a full bladder.. not a shore-side shower!
(sorry.. couldn't resist)

Seriously, though...
..it looks like a very cool contraption.

Report back on how it works for you.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Coleman hot water heater Reply with quote

I bought one of the Coleman hot water heaters a few years ago, and got a pretty good deal on it, It included a carry bag, and I bought the adapter separately for it to connect to a pressurized hose if you want to use that instead of the 5-gallon collapsible water bag.

There are several things I like about it and a few that I don't. Once you get it set up, it's nice to have almost instant hot water at an adjustable temperature. When I use mine for showering, I set up an enclosure around my back hatch with tarps, and put a tarp where the hatch would be if it were closed, to keep water outside that van. I usually put the heater itself on the rear cushion, because as I recall the directions tell you to keep it raised. It delivers a good amount of water at a reasonable pressure.

It is bulky and heavy, though. Between the unit itself and the water bag, there is quite a bit of room taken up. You can place the pump inside any standing water supply, but the pump screws right onto Coleman's 5-gallon water bag. I had to replace my water bag as the collar cracked that screws onto the bag itself.

There is an adapter to use if you connect it to a pressurized supply. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it somehow disables the attached pump.

I found it a bit inconvenient to keep having to reach over and turn the unit on and off as I showered. I didn't want to leave it on the whole time as I didn't want to waste water.

Mine stopped working a year ago and I haven't taken the time to troubleshoot it yet. It doesn't fire up- piezo clicks, but nothing happens.

I have been using a solar shower bag since then, something I did sometimes even when I had the Coleman working, in order to save space in the van. I don't rely on the sun to heat my water- I fill the shower bag about 2/3 to 3/4 full of cold water. Then I boil a pot of water on the stove, and add that with a funnel to get the overall temp nice and warm. I lay the bag on the raised rear hatch, and route the hose and head down to my enclosure. I'm willing to trade that slight inconvenience of adding the water the way I have to, for the advantage of not carrying such a bulky item. I only go away a few times a year to places without showers anyway, so this works for me.

I had thought at one time of trying to plumb this into my existing water system in the van as well, but again, I wouldn't use it often enough for it to be worth it to me.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of using one of these- if it meets your needs, then go for it. But for me, the expense and loss of my space wasn't worth it.

Ed
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with one of these instead of the Coleman,mostly because of the cost of the Coleman is outrageous.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Zodi-Instant-Water-Heater-and-Hot-Shower/4698021

add one of these:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Shower-Utility-Room/8571890

and your set. you can also use the Zodi for your dishes and the shower for a change room/latrine. about $100-$125 less than the Coleman. not sure if the Zodi is available at REI though.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dipple wrote:
...but will not make tea.

Are you saying it does not get hot enough for tea? I was thinking this would just be awesome for cool Utah mornings with tea or coffee for the wife, and making snacks that require hot water for the kids? On the commercial for it (youtube) they show someone making tea or coffee, so, wutup?

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
dipple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it does not make water hot enough to steap my tea properly especially if you add milk. If you like luke warm drinks it works. I seem to remember it being advertised that way and was disappointed.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

fixedgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dipple wrote:
I would say it does not make water hot enough to steap my tea properly especially if you add milk. If you like luke warm drinks it works. I seem to remember it being advertised that way and was disappointed.

Dipple-I have one of these units, but can't get away to try it out yet.

I read somewhere on another site that to get it close to boiling you have to hold the control all the way over. This did not seem to be too much of an ordeal since it apparently gives hot water in about 5 secs. I assumed that this was a safety feature that had to be built in.

But again I haven 't field tested it, have you tried this method?
dipple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried that method. It seems logical there would be a fail safe. I will take another look at the manual and see what it says.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! It shows the doobie in the video turning to "hot" and holding it while he fills his tea cup! Well, your world is a happier place now...no complaints!

I have been kicking around that unit for years. I have this dream that I can make hot chocolate and shower simply from the same unit. The shower pressure looks weak on that thing. Wondering if it is enough for a decent camp shower?

The portable on demand systems looks sweet as well, but probably don't work so well for a cup of Jo. Sometimes its easier just to wear the dirt for a few extra days!

a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv tryed a bunchof the shower options listed here in hunting camp. The best by far is the Hudson water wagon.

http://www.amazon.com/Hudson-3-Gallon-Water-Wagon-Soft-Shower/dp/B0000AXDT7

I dotn have the handle on mine for space saving. You can get 2 showers out of one tank of water. No power needed. It works like a garden sprayer but the head has a shower sprayer with a on/off valve. You do have to heat the water first on the stove.

jcl
populuxe59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one (Coleman) and for safety, there is a dead-man switch on the temp knob. It has to be held "HOT" to get the highest temp. As long as your starting water temperature isn't too cold it will be hot enough for tea or instant coffee. However, I've never used it for tea and measured the temp which is important to making tea--right?

*I just re watched the video, and the high-limit is set at 160. Not hot enough for tea, if you ask me, but it would be a great head start for getting a pot on the boil.

It helps to run about a cup full of hot water first to warm up the system if you need it the hottest.
I've always been interested in re-engineering the whole thing to make it work while installed in a cabinet. I'm sure it could be done, but I like having it portable. I could bring it in the house temporarily if my home water heater ever gives out.

It really is amazing you get get an on-demand heater with the spark ignition, rechargeable battery, pump, on-board propane storage and the safety features in one small package.

I've never had trouble making a decent hot shower. I do have problems getting rid of the water in a public camping area.
I've seen the Colemans on sale for $175 at the local farm & fleet store.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: