Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 VW Beetle Wiring.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kg4qpb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: 1968 VW Beetle Wiring. Reply with quote

Recently, I rewired my 1968 Beetle. Everything is working good except for when I put the ignition switch on the On position, the brake lights come on as if I've been pressing the brake pedal. When I press the brake pedal nothing happens.

I disconnected the cable from the master cylinder and the light still comes on when I put the ignition on On position. The only cable that I am doubting is the black cable that comes from the steering wheel....

but I used the schematic the Samba.com, and all the schematics from 1968 til 1969 all point to the same position on the fuse box. Can anyone give me an idea on what's going on? Thanks, Kg4qpb. Confused
Duane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this page for additional schematics http://www.oldvolkshome.com/, helped me when doing mine.

but it sounds like you have a run of wires swamped for rear taillight bulbs.

top bulb should be brake lights only, middle bulb should be high element turn/flashers and low element are driving lights. Is everything else working that way?
JonF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your fuse box. sounds like you have the brake lights hooked to the wrong fuse.

the black/red wire should be on the 1st fuse on the right hand side of the fuse box when you are looking at it from the trunk.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_68_69_usa.jpg
kg4qpb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonF wrote:
check your fuse box. sounds like you have the brake lights hooked to the wrong fuse.

the black/red wire should be on the 1st fuse on the right hand side of the fuse box when you are looking at it from the trunk.

I do have the black/red in the 1st fuse from right to left on the fuse box if you stand in from of the car. What i can try now?.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 68 there are two pressure switchesat teh master cylinder and there is a brake warning light switch with a test light . See J3 and J6 and K8
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
P|LLs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem a while back, are your break switches three prong? I had a couple wires on the wrong leads, it will light the rear lights. Also if they are disconnected it will light the rear lights.

P|LLs
boozobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digging up an old thread here....but my 68 bug has just started doing this, has been fine for years and I haven't rewired anything.

Is it likely a bad earth somewhere?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the OP didn't come back to confirm what the original problem was we may never know if your problem is the same as his/her's.

Do you have two or three prong brake switches install in your MC?

Disconnect the two electrical plugs from the two switches. With the ignition ON, use a test lamp or voltmeter to test the terminals in the plug. One of the wires in each plug should have 12v coming from fuse #1. The other terminal(s) should not have 12v.
If you jumper the two opposing terminals together the brake lights should come ON.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
boozobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply, the problem is solved.....or should i say, gone.

My car has been rewired at some point by some one and nothing is as it should be. such as the brake lights only work when the ignition is one. Which in this case has saved my battery from going flat, but Illustrates just another point of awesomeness from the previous owner.....

Point is they work now, I can only put it down to the switch sticking or some gunk in it. New switch is on the way anyways just to be sure.

Main reason I posted here was because my brake lights were on solid, most switch failures (that I've read while hunting for answers) seem to be that the lights don't come on at all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: