Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon COMPLETE Novice
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: welcome Reply with quote

Another welcome from the Northeast Coast!

We "fell" into the automatic as well...not on purpose but like you said, we found each other. Karma isn't always a b**ch! It's been very kind to us so far.

Hopefully you have also found all the online vendors. Gowesty, Van-Cafe and Bus Depot are the big three for me. Lately I have found great deals on parts on the classifieds here on TheSamba thanks to members sending me links.

Once you get the basics of wiring and electricity for the van I think you will catch on fast. DC or direct current is pretty basic. Finding the problem with it...not so much. My 11yr old daughter is learning it this year in science...neat to see the "lights come on" when she gets something new!

I have a friend who finally got his wife to a campground last summer. When the kids were asleep on each of them as they sat around the campfire listening to the sounds of the night in a campground she looked over and said, "Ok...I get it."

The doubters around you just don't get it. Too bad for them!

Brian.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the funny farm! You'll have a great time. It sounds like you have the right attitude going into it. There are a ton of really great people on this forum that will help you through all kinds of trials and tribulations.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
UNIBLONDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:
Welcome! Smile

Specify your location a little better, so folks can recommend local repair shops for you.

Make friends with the search function... keep in mind it only searches the forum you start out in.

Buy the Bentley manual. It's very comprehensive, yet written in plain English, even if you do no work to the van yourself, you can have informed conversations with your mechanic.

Don't pay attention to the haters. Live life, drive a Vanagon and enjoy it. It ain't a Honda, but you know that already.

Have fun, and keep us posted. Use Photobucket or Picasa to keep pictures and post them here using the [img] code from your album.

Will Photobucket once we get it...how is it I'm already spending on it (list of to-do's) and we don't even have it ? Is this how it works? Wink

We're in the Charleston, SC area....I know there's an air-cooled mechanic in North Chuck that local folks seem to swear by. And I'm looking out for a body person (not that we need that now) and maybe someone who can install a dvd player (overhead? Hopefully it can be done--I know I saw someone in one of the forums that had one installed) for us. I get the impression that I'd be better off getting someone who knows Vanagons to install it instead of going w/ the folks at Best Buy or the like...
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uni will you do me a BIG favour? Don't disappear after awhile. Become a permanent contributor to Samba and hang around, ok Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UNIBLONDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Uni will you do me a BIG favour? Don't disappear after awhile. Become a permanent contributor to Samba and hang around, ok Wink

Most definitely...I'll stick around! Hopefully my Vanagon will be here next week--I'll make sure and post photos!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNIBLONDER wrote:
how is it I'm already spending on it (list of to-do's) and we don't even have it ? Is this how it works? Wink

Welcome to the Vanagon Club. Our motto is: Spend, have some fun, and spend some more!! Laughing
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:

Yeah! DAIZEE needs company Smile and if ANYONE can tell you what a great community we have here, it's her!

Welcome to the Samba, where there is no such thing as a stupid question.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your attitude of optimism, a Vanagon is the perfect vehicle for you. Welcome! This is a community like no other.

Your kids will most likely never remember driving around in your Toyota but they will absolutely remember camping trips in the Vanagon. I too have small kids (3 of them 5 years old and under) and like you, 2 in diapers. Life took on an entirely new meaning when my daughter was born. Now, it's all about creating experiences that will build memories that they'll be telling their grandchildren about.

I'm always looking to make our van even more functional (kid friendly) and have found many great ideas along the way. Have fun with yours!
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: welcome Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
I have a friend who finally got his wife to a campground last summer. When the kids were asleep on each of them as they sat around the campfire listening to the sounds of the night in a campground she looked over and said, "Ok...I get it."

This is one of the coolest things I've read in a long time.
UNIBLONDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffklein wrote:
With your attitude of optimism, a Vanagon is the perfect vehicle for you. Welcome! This is a community like no other.

Your kids will most likely never remember driving around in your Toyota but they will absolutely remember camping trips in the Vanagon. I too have small kids (3 of them 5 years old and under) and like you, 2 in diapers. Life took on an entirely new meaning when my daughter was born. Now, it's all about creating experiences that will build memories that they'll be telling their grandchildren about.

I'm always looking to make our van even more functional (kid friendly) and have found many great ideas along the way. Have fun with yours!

Funny, while I have always admired and coveted a Vanagon, the kids really were the tipping point for me. We just returned from a trip to the Grand Canyon (in a rented Prius--hate the design, love the fuel-efficiency!) and we just had such a great time being there, I came back with a renewed passion and determination to get the Vanagon. The rest is history.

I love your sentiments. You put words to my thoughts! I'm going to take a class put together by our local State Park (Camping 101), so I can be a better camper and well, I found you guys for the Westy! I love seeing the kid-friendly modifications--so in$pirational! Wink

Peace.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: