Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alaska, Volkswagens and a girl from Durango
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough decisions, indeed, but j_dirge's suggestion is not without merit. In my younger days I bummed around a bit and never got as far as Alaska but saw plenty of other places. Never had much money but never owed any. Now after 25 years of marriage we've paid off our house and socked away a bundle for retirement (each working at jobs with no pension plan or golden parachute) and done a lot of what we wanted to do, and Alaska is still there.

We might make it, yet. In our wills it is specified that if she predeceases me her ashes get spread in Alaska, so I have to take her. If I go furst, mine get spread in Tahiti (where she wants to go) so she gets to take me.

My folks came of age in the Great Depression and that left an impact on a generation that the recent financial unpleasantness will never match. Folks who lived through that hard time KNEW what it meant to do without, and most of them knew and counseled the the next generation on the value of a dollar. I listened a little and it served me well. If I'd listened more I'd probably be even better off.

At one point in my travels I was in the VW of my choice and it died an ugly death on the opposite coast. My dad's advice would have had me on a different course at the time but it probably would not have taught me as much as I learned on my own, so you never know where things will take you.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!
nrryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the great advice on buses!

Still understanding the other advice, still going to blatantly ignore it. Very Happy

Thank you all for the welcome... I'm really excited not only for my little dreamboat to come sailing along but for this adventure!

In case you're curious about the kind of group about to descend upon AK, check me and the muttlies out here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61060179@N04/5561795107/

Very Happy[/img]
seabright_sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2278911428.html

Not sure if it's still available but it looks like a very solid westy for the price. If it's as solid as it sounds it should be a very reliable vehicle with most of the major and minor concerns worked through.

Good luck.
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit older than you (but not old enough to be your Dad) and I completely agree with J_Dirge. It is sound, mature, and responsible advice. I have actually been lucky enough to have followed such advice since I was 18 years old. I have no regrets and even with living mostly debt free in my adult life, I do not feel that I've missed out on anything. And because of people like J_Dirge and my parents giving me advice, I am in a position to retire completely in a few years at the age of 46. I will still be young enough to do an Alaska trip if that's what I want to do. Had I done what it looks like you might be getting ready to do, I might have had to wait until my late 50's to retire. Not a good trade off for a couple month trip in my twenties IMO. On the other hand, not sure how much $ you got, but if I had that extra $ to invest or pay down debt at 27, I might not have to wait until I was 46 to retire. I don't know, I'm all about freeing up my time. Working until I am 60 or older doesn't get me closer to that goal and fortunately, I've understood that for a long, long time. Good luck in whatever you decide to do and I am sincerely sorry for your loss.
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my vanagon and I am a mechanic. If I truly wanted to buy a van and drive to Alaska I would get a ford or Chevy. Its all about the journey not the automobile. Bring it to your trusted mechanic get it checked out and put on some BFG AT tires. Fit it out with a bolted down futon, some cabinets, maybe a camp stove and propex for some heat and enjoy your trip.

I'm ready for the beating...

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Heading for Alaska Reply with quote

Well, honestly, I only read a few of the posts to your Thread.... so here are my comments!

In July of 1984 (age 33), my dream to go to Alaska hit me while in Zion National Park, Utah with my wife and young son. (long story in of itself)

So, on the way home from the "out west" vacation, we made plans to head north by mid-June 1986.

April of 1985, I purchased a Vanagon (non-Westy) with the Air-cooled engine...........we headed north on June 18, 1986 and returned 28 days later. We've since driven the same Vanagon back...1993, 96, 97, 99, 01, and 03. New tires each trip except the last two!

You don't need a 4-wheel drive......if you go in the summer months into the early fall, snow is not going to be an issue! Summers in Alaska are awesome (Canada too!).

The Alaska Highway has been about 100% re-built. There are lots and lots of places to camp, both in Canada and Alaska! We pitched a tent 25 of the 28 nights.......some campgrounds were primitive without showers... a few were free!

Just throwing out a number(s): As I recall, that first trip in 1986 we kept the cost to about $85.00 per day...of course, if we decided to hit a motel for the night, the cost went up! I'd say, you could do it today for under $300.00 per day .......maybe even under $200.00 per day!

Check out my photos............ I've posted a few! ........I have tons of them and hours and hours of video!

Edit: Well, I went back and read several comments........some very good advice young man! Pay down the debt! Then, set a date in the future for heading north...........plan ahead, that's what the counsel you received is all about!

As one individual advised, there's no greater feeling than being debt free! I paid off my student loans (wife's too) early on! I retired three years ago today! I could have retired five years earlier. No mortage, no car payments, etc......it is a great feeling!

Check out my Vanagon engine transplant (ALH TDI diesel) at the TDIclub.com. Hopefully it will be going to Alaska this summer. This link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798

Gees! I'm 60 and plan to Thru-hike the Appalachian Trial in 2012!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummmm 'young man', I think he's a she.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that Appalachian Trail runs all the way to Argentina...

I used to work in Alaska (fishing), and quite frankly think the place is best explored by boat. Buy the van, but consider diversifying your modes of transport on the trip.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Alaska Adventure Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
The two right now on The Rocky mountain westy site are nice and have been looked at and are priced well. The 85 weekender could be a nice match for you.

I talked to Mike concerning that 85 and taking a road trip and I think it would be perfect for you...He said he would fix it up and make sure it was mechanically sound for a long trip. It also had a cabinet in it for supplies. Lots of room too. Check it out on their website. Good price too. Good luck!

http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/For_Sale_85_Westy_Weekender_s/76.htm
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much going in NM, Vanagon wise! Most who have them don't sell often. You may be better off looking in the Springs or Denver. I belong to a club in the Springs and I am certain I can hook you up with a good/reliable mechanic to look at a Vanagon for you.

I say go for it! You only live once and you never know the future anyhow!

Here are a couple I found in the Springs & Denver.
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/2263559758.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2210621384.html
http://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/2280152095.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2288787272.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2287000608.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/2234120489.html

Best of luck and happy travels!
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Alaska Adventure Reply with quote

VwMomofthree wrote:
tschroeder0 wrote:
The two right now on The Rocky mountain westy site are nice and have been looked at and are priced well. The 85 weekender could be a nice match for you.

I talked to Mike concerning that 85 and taking a road trip and I think it would be perfect for you...He said he would fix it up and make sure it was mechanically sound for a long trip. It also had a cabinet in it for supplies. Lots of room too. Check it out on their website. Good price too. Good luck!

http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/For_Sale_85_Westy_Weekender_s/76.htm

X3, Getting one that has been gone thru carefully by one of the best in the business is as close as you can get to reliable, and that's the most important thing you could invest in vanagon-wise. And the asking price on it is about the same as what you might find (with lots of issues) from a private seller. Weekenders are great! And automatics are sturdy.
I did not follow the good advice on debt given above. I am poor and will never retire. But life is good! Best of luck whatever you decide.
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of folks are mentioning she should go later and be financially responsible now. I have two thoughts on that subject, the first is one I hope sincerely that does not cause a flame war here and close this great thread but Wall Street ain't exactly financially responsible go now while you can and while gas is still fairly reasonable... remember Alaska gas prices will FREAK you out! When I lived there gas was 3.60 a gallon when the rest of the USA was 1.80/2.00 per gallon. Now with prices into the low to mid 4/gallon range I can only imagine... (2) Life is not a guarantee. In 1993 I was driving my vintage Moto Guzzi I got hit by an 18 wheeler going 75 or so. Came within a breath of dying. Go live life today! Yes Alaska will be there in 10,000 years, you may not be. Plus, Alaska experienced as a 27 year old is very different than Alaska experienced by a 67 year old. At your young age you can suffer a bit, go through some crazy experiences that when your older you may not care to. I'm only 47 and I do not bend the same I did at 27.

I am thinking of taking three months off, grabbing my fishing rod and heading up to Alaska this year. Get a bus, go north young lady! If you break down you still have shelter, food and water...

ASWAH

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Aswah and we all know he is a free spirit. We don't even know what kind of work you do but $1.00 today will not be worth a $1.00 tomorrow and while its not been the Great Depression as mentionned economical futures are a shot.

This is like a situation I remember clearly of a co worker years ago. They were young RRT's, got married, had 4 children very quickly. Their intent was to have their children young so that they'd be young enough to enjoy the empty nest. Well it did not work out for them, they split, tough times for them, I've lost touch with them but perhaps by now each is enjoying their retirement in their own way.

Do it now or do it later no longer has the meaning it did for former generations. Your $ is at its rate today and won't be tomorrow. You can save all your life putting money away but the total you end up with won't be near the worth it was.

You are talking around a 3 month voyage of pleasure BUT it does have a mission. It's not just about yourself as you've mentionned. A compromise is to not spend the whole amount now, put some away for when you get back. Your mother must have had some insight into you when she earmarked the money for you. You are a female in your late 20's, I have a gut feeling she knew what you would do and that's why she did it (left you some $$$). Now if she also spelled out the intent that it was to pay off your school loans, etc.... then you'd be going against her wishes. My gut feeling is she knew you'd take her home to Alaska and that you'd enjoy the trip. She knew your father had never been but perhaps she knew you'd do it. This is an opportunity, I waited and waited and waited and then I got the opportunity to do a dream trip to me. Disappointment at 66 is a way lot harder on you than disappointment decades ago.

Your biggest decision is picking the van. You have the opportunity to deal with RMW and I'm confident they will have your best interests including safety at heart.

I'm excited for you so therefore my opinion is biased. GO FOR IT! but get the right van. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That van in SF looks pretty decent...and not a bad price, considering all that's been done to it.

Your plan sounds awesome! You might want to consider paying down some of your debt too if possible, although if it's student loans, it's not the end of the world to pay them monthly. Of course everyone has different opinions and philosophies about that sort of thing, and you need to do what's right for you.

One thing I've considered when thinking about a trip to Alaska is taking a vehicle ferry from Washington St. > Alaska. You're already going to be driving a far distance from CO > WA, cost won't be that much different than driving the whole way up, and you'll have more time enjoying Alaska and less time doing long highway drives.

I found this site:
http://www.ferrytravel.com/bellingham.htm

Looks like it's about a 3 day journey, cost about $700/person, you can sleep in your westy, and you can bring your pups.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem...
This is not about Wall Street.

And I did NOT say to not go on the trip.
What I DID say was to pay down obligations first before buying toys.. and if she REALLY wants to do this trip then find a cheaper way to do it.
A Toyota pickup or wagon would make this trip just as easily and be pleasant enough to camp out of.

Hey.
I am all about free spiritedness... But having piles of debt to return to is not "freedom" it is being "indentured".

Perhaps a compromise might be 75% of windfall towards debt and 25% towards a closer-to-the-ground travel experience. And maybe that would sit better with family as well?

Fer cirssakes.. At her age I spent 6 months in Mexico for less than $1500.. surfing whenever I wanted. That was in 1988 dollars. The OP won't even get a base vanagon, Alaska capable, for that (inflation corrected).
And a funny side story to that Mex adventure.. I was sitting in a bar in Puerto Vallarta, contemplating returning home as money was running low and local work was pretty scarce,.. when this beautiful Vanagon Westy pulled up.. Burgundy with gray interior.. Guy had bought it brand new.. Maiden voyage and down from San Diego.. and I remember to THIS DAY, thinking, "That is SWEET! Some day...I'll have one of those.."

And I do.. after a 72 Bay and a 81 AC.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, your twenties are for seeing the world. Period. Being financially responsible means living below your means and all that when you feel it's time. I'm old enough to know exactly where your old man is coming from, and he's right as far as that goes, but travel will shape and educate you in a way responsibility never will.

That said, it always makes me nervous when some kid with no mechanical knowledge comes on here with the dream of untested-Vanagon travel. My first two trips down the AlCan were in a $300 Subaru station wagon. I figured if the worst ever happened, for a few hundred more I'd have a whole new ride.

Gas today is $3.99 in Anchorage, up from $3.18 two months ago. "They" are predicting $5 this summer. Anchorage is where the cheap gas is. Not that I would let that stop me from coming up, but plan ahead, maybe by looking for something that pops 40mpg and holds a tent.

A boat is a great way to see parts of the state, and one reason I bought a cataraft, but nothing beats an airplane. Nothing. Schedule a few side trips far off the roadway. Rent an ocean kayak. My dog rafts with me. Talk to air taxi services about being dropped off somewhere remote and amazing for about a week, and bring a fishing pole. Awesome. Use the ferry system on the way up or back, and putt through Canada on the other. Buy a book on mushrooms and berries, and make use of it. See, now I want to quit my job again.
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see this causing a flame war. Everybody is just giving their opinions. My opinion is just that. It is what worked for me. My number 1 goal in life is to spend time with my wife and kids. FREE TIME....MY TIME. For many, it's a job. For some, it's working until they are in their 60's or 70's. Not me. If you are smart about it, it is 100% possible to have a good marriage between "carpe diem" and responsibility. Like I said before, I have no regrets. In fact, I've been fortunate to have traveled all over the world AND I still bend the same way I did in my twenties. Looking back I can say that I had an absolute blast during my twenties between the military and college. But now, in my early forties and 3 young kids, I am having even more fun. And it just keeps getting better.

I think the bottom line and what we are all really saying is don't do something you will regret. I actually like the compromise idea. Maybe you don't need the van, maybe you don't need 3 months to do it, Maybe you can somehow manage to go longer but spend less. Who knows? Good luck....
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a little funny. She didn't not ask for opinions on financial goals but it must have struck a nerve with a lot of people. OTOH, she mentioned where the money was coming from, so maybe that opened the door.

I did exactly what someone posted, I went on a 2-3 month summer trip through US and Canada with a college buddy, but we put sheet of plywood over the pickup truck bed (came in handy when crossing the border for acouple things that would have got us in trouble). We got a $100 topper for all our gear. We tented camped all over the place and split gas and ate cheaply. 20+ years later, that trip is still strong in my memory. Fighting the rainstorms in a tent, mosquitoes, getting 2 flats, when we only had 1 spare, getting lost, and feeding camp deer out of our hands, and the beautiful locations, lakes, national parks, some of the other campers we met, it was all great. I still have an Alaska trip on my list.

And since it is so compelling to comment on finances, I would say compromising by not spending much and still taking time off to enjoy those "once in a lifetime" trips is definitely the way to go.
nrryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this has turned rather interesting. I guess I have a few things to point out that might change things, maybe not. Not that it's really necessary to lay this out there, but, hell, I'm just gonna!

1. First, I'm female. Just FYI.
2. Greyhound bus, small 40+ mpg car and tent, and options other than a van will not fit my border collie, boxer or boyfriend. If it did, my, where would I put our fly rods, hiking boots, kayaks, bikes and backpacking gear?!?
3. Sleeping in the van is my priority.
4. And, not for nothing, but my debt consists of student loans. I go to a small liberal arts school as a resident in Colorado. I expect my debt to be well under $10k. I work, too, so I don't really need to take loans out, ever. I do because it makes life a little easier when I have a huge course load.
5. My mom died a painful death. Not a week before she passed, she was making all sorts of plans for more AK, Jamaica and many, many beach vacations. There's no way in the whole wide world I'm passing up an amazing trip to Alaska at age 27 with my two furry little love muffins and my sexy Italian boyfriend for three months in the summer in a Volkswagen bus with our bikes and toys TO PAY OFF LOANS INSTEAD.

Just sayin. Think I have my top three possibilities worked out. Very Happy
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fun!

Last edited by jeffklein on Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: