Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The right way to lower or raise the rear of an air-cooled VW
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This product will be available through known vendors soon. I am glad I started this thread and thank you much for all the input guys. It has helped me think about ways to explain and present my designs. So at this point I am going to pull out of this discussion permanently. For further questions you can always contact me via email. Keep your eyes peeled for new VW developments guys. Volkswagen rocks! Goodnight folks.

Charles.
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
vwsb74 wrote:
[The design is not finalized for the IRS versions and the prototype is not tested. It is finalized and tested for the swing axle VW however,...

then you should not sell the IRS springplates . I could have bought one, but thank god for thesamba.com Smile

I would not sell a product that I am not yet manufacturing. I am not selling IRS anything at present. However it will be available soon. Plus it states on my site which plates are available. I'm not trying to pull a fast on here guys. These plates fit the 21.75 length torsion bar swing-axle suspensions. NOTHING ELSE.

your website says for IRS and swing axle... Rolling Eyes http://www.atomwerk.org/plates.html
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fonzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsb74 wrote:
your website says for IRS and swing axle... Rolling Eyes http://www.atomwerk.org/plates.html

Your moma said shut up and go to bed:)
-jeffrey
hoghead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 20 pages I have lost the concept

Is the length of these plates the same from torsion bar centre to the axle?

If longer/shorter, then how much
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fonzy wrote:
vwsb74 wrote:

Your moma said shut up and go to bed:)

why the f.ck should I shut up? I just want to know the details more before I buy or I ended up wasting my money if it doesnt work. Now you shut up!
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73 KAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Atomwerk,
This will most likely be my last post for awhile as this is also giving me a headache Confused WHEN you get the IRS plates finished, and make another video like you did with the swing axle, I will watch it, study it and maybe buy a set. I would like to see an actual finished product and installation on an IRS.
Thank you,
Mark
#3 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=775620Kafer-Cup vintage road racer
Bender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow......took some time to read this mess...I wanted to throw my .25 in and say spring plates,...swing or irs,..are made from spring steel...this is a heat treatment....anything less is doomed to fail....fatigue in multiple movements.....twisting....

LuftWagens Klub Candy-ass free
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bender wrote:
Wow......took some time to read this mess...I wanted to throw my .25 in and say spring plates,...swing or irs,..are made from spring steel...this is a heat treatment....anything less is doomed to fail....fatigue in multiple movements.....twisting....

and his "drop plates" are twice as thick as stock plates meaning......no flex and excessive spline/bushing wear.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headlights are made from heads.... Wink

GEX has. Just sayin
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bender wrote:

I once was told by a fabricator/welder friend that it would not be a good idea to do any welding on VW spring plates because of the type of steel they were made from.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:
Bender wrote:

and his "drop plates" are twice as thick as stock plates meaning......no flex and excessive spline/bushing wear.

I thought they were required to flex as a function of the swingaxle design.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

I thought they were required to flex as a function of the swingaxle design.

correct they are supposed to flex as the suspension travels and camber angles change. these thicker atomwerk drop plates wont flex like the stock plates thus putting more force on the splines and bushings
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone has tried these

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://vwrepublic.com/forums/index.php?topic=45.0

Some hackage of the tube and plate. Would using a trans raise help with the tube binding in the retaining plate?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many folks have used that setup, or something similar.

A trans raise helps immensely in radically lowered cars, and helps keep proper geometry in the rear suspension.
LvTitan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Eaallred wrote:
Here's the thing I see with drop springplates:
Sorry, facts be facts. Looks to be quality work though. But is doing nothing different than a stock plate other than being shaped differently.

You sir are 100% wrong. Good chat though Wink

Disagree. Sorry. What makes you think it changes anything? Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but you've changed the shape of the plate, but the geometry is still the same.

I understand what u trying to say but the angle of the bolt hole arrangement is diff. It has taken intro account what u not seeing and fact that they longer gives toe adjustment before running out of slot
Like to see more I'll keep reading
LvTitan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok go ahead and take ur stock one and bend it to look like his... go ahead I'll wait.... now go ahead and bolt everything back in where it was.. oh what? It's. Too short now? Weird. Guess u can't argue with physics

Eaallred wrote:
Here's a real quick rendering of what is going on:

As you can see, putting a dogleg into the spring plate does nothing to change the geometry of the suspension system. EVERYTHING in the suspension operates EXACTLY like normal. The bend does nothing, i'm sorry.

You can't argue physics. But if you need clearer description, picture the stock springplate as being much wider than it is, lets say 10 inches wide. It works like stock. Now, you take that 10 inch wide spring plate, cut a couple notches in it so the shape is now dogleged, and you still have a piece that functions the exact same, just has a different shape to it.

I am not 100% wrong. Sorry.

Like I say, very good looking craftsmanship, but it does nothing other than visually change the shape of the plate.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LvTitan wrote:
Ok go ahead and take ur stock one and bend it to look like his... go ahead I'll wait.... now go ahead and bolt everything back in where it was.. oh what? It's. Too short now? Weird. Guess u can't argue with physics

Eaallred wrote:
Here's a real quick rendering of what is going on:

As you can see, putting a dogleg into the spring plate does nothing to change the geometry of the suspension system. EVERYTHING in the suspension operates EXACTLY like normal. The bend does nothing, i'm sorry.

You can't argue physics. But if you need clearer description, picture the stock springplate as being much wider than it is, lets say 10 inches wide. It works like stock. Now, you take that 10 inch wide spring plate, cut a couple notches in it so the shape is now dogleged, and you still have a piece that functions the exact same, just has a different shape to it.

I am not 100% wrong. Sorry.

Like I say, very good looking craftsmanship, but it does nothing other than visually change the shape of the plate.

You need to read more of this whole thing before bringing up "new" points. Your point has been hashed, re-hashed, and put to rest. Yes, the new plates are longer to accommodate toe-in adjustment. That was determined many pages ago.
[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Waiting and well prepared, I am. Reply with quote

Special thanx should go out to Eric A. Thank you for challenging me to put real calculation and real world into kangaroo terms! This is only a clip of a movie that explains the real VW suspensions in far better, and easy to understand detail. Guys... I am an engineer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMLdsnfuYvY
[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Notching??? Reply with quote

Oh, then there is the notching issue. Don't be a bunch of dummies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyZFajZXGoE
[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Intro Clip Reply with quote

This is the intro. Special thanx to Asher Fay for the music, and to CB Performance for the support! Expect full movie 2morrow. Guys, I am a monkey. Wait I meant expert! Doh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdKSRXia2rs
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 50

Jump to: