Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Soda Blasting
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
InkAnkUnk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Soda Blasting Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever paid to get their Thing soda blasted? I'm curious as to what it will cost.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soda may not cut it. You should PM Citroen http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=215260

He and his brother have had a bunch of experience in this area
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5215421&highlight=#5215421

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hank0306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps, but I paid $375 to have mine media blasted...
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hank0306 wrote:
Not sure if this helps, but I paid $375 to have mine media blasted...

Was that body on or off? Include floor pan, doors, hood and hatches? Door handles and latches removed? There are a lot of variables involved.
hank0306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine out, doors off, door hardware on, windshield frame taken apart, glass out, hood on (should have taken it off), gas tank out, seats out, engine out, transaxle still in. All rubber parts, seals body trim etc..removed. The entire car was done except underneath the hinges on the hood/car, and the underbody (which is in good shape). With the gas tank out they got the front end pretty good. There was very little bondo underneath, but it was still intact after the blasting. I asked them about this and they said they don't blast it at full power otherwise the metal would get warped...I brought the rims back to them once I had the car home and they blasted 5 rims within the same original pricing.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hank0306 wrote:
Engine out, doors off, door hardware on, windshield frame taken apart, glass out, hood on (should have taken it off), gas tank out, seats out, engine out, transaxle still in. All rubber parts, seals body trim etc..removed. The entire car was done except underneath the hinges on the hood/car, and the underbody (which is in good shape). With the gas tank out they got the front end pretty good. There was very little bondo underneath, but it was still intact after the blasting. I asked them about this and they said they don't blast it at full power otherwise the metal would get warped...I brought the rims back to them once I had the car home and they blasted 5 rims within the same original pricing.

That sounds like an excellent deal. Only thing else I would have done would be to remove the door hardware. Just because it's too easy not to.

After it was all stripped and naked, what kinda of primer did you put down?
hank0306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to have hijacked this post. Not sure of the primer type. I took it to a high quality paint shop to be painted and for repairs, they cut and welded in new metal where needed in front of the rear tires small area..I had them spray two coats of POR15 on the Pan at that time...

Germane to this post about soda blasting, the autobody shop mentioned that it was important to get a coat of primer down as soon as possible after the blasting to prevent any oxidation from occuring. Not sure if that was correct, but seemed logical.
InkAnkUnk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hank0306 wrote:
Sorry to have hijacked this post.

No Problem! You're getting to the meat and potatoes of what I want to know anyway.

When you say it was media blasted what media was used? That may be a dumb question. I assume you don't mean VHS tapes and old CDs. Wink
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car we had done was completely taken apart. Every part the has body color was blasted with soda. This will not take off body filler or any rust. Then it is advised to use metal cleaner then metal prep. Cost in this area was $900.00. We did have an estimate to acid dip for $ 2000.00 from Ready-strip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hank0306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember the particular name of the media (Beta Max?). I just know that the material gets into everything. If I recall, it was some kind of glass material, it was the consistancy of very fine sand, but I was told it was actually some kind of glass, I think the word "star" was in the name of the material...not sure if that helps. If you are local in Socal, send me a PM and I'll give you the company's number. Whatever it was, it took the car down to bare metal and blasted the hell out of any rust that was on the car.

After googling, I think this is the stuff:
http://www2.dupont.com/Titanium_Technologies/en_US/products/starblast/
InkAnkUnk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
Cost in this area was $900.00.

Was that price them doing the dismantling or you?
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, we had the body shell on a rolling stand and all the parts gutted. This was for inside, outside, engine area and front hood area. All areas with with body color.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Celthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the entire body sand blasted with fine river sand for $350. It was an excellent job.
I then had the doors and smaller parts soda blasted.....it didn't even get all the paint off. It was AS EXPENSIVE to have the doors soda blasted as it was to have the entire body sand blasted. I wouldn't recommend it from my own personal experience. Find a good, reputable sand blaster. Search the forums for horror sand blast stories to understand the importance of finding a good one!!!
InkAnkUnk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Celthing, that's seems very strange that the door paint would have been that much more resistive. So, how did you end up stripping the doors?
Celthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the paint was more resistive, I think the soda blasting wasnt very effective. There was also a lot of rust left that had to be dealt with. I left the final paint removal on the doors up to the second paint/body guy I used. I think he did a combo sand blast/chemical strip/DA sander.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: paint stipping Reply with quote

this is the tool i used last slow but no damage to metal and a nice job see next picture
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: paint stripped Reply with quote

this is how it came out a lot of work but less work to finish
InkAnkUnk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nice work.
Shocked
Any estimation on how long? Were you keeping track of time with hours or days?
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: paint stripping Reply with quote

it helps when you are retired and have no money my labor is free. i started on my complete rebuilt in jan last year when i retired and finished in july the same year a lot of 10 hour days every nut and bolt was removed paint stripped rust and panels replaced, rebuilt engine, trans, front end new seats top and paint it also helps when your brother is ron domeck who applys the paint
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: