Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doka Rear Seats Question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Doka Rear Seats Question Reply with quote

Hello,
Still learning about my new 1984 Doka; and now I'm beginning to contemplate replacing my current rear seats which consist of a double and single bucket seats (I believe these were once the front seats to a 6 seater or single cab) with either a Tri-star bench seat or a multivan rock and roll seat.

Here is my current setup:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To replace with a bench seat I believe that this bracket would be in the way; is this a stock bracket; other Doka owners do you have one of these?

Also how does a bench seat attach to the bottom case and back wall of stock Dokas? Most seats that I see for sale seem "loose" or come in two pieces; a PO of my doka had the railing base welded onto my bench seat base as here:

do I need these for a bench seat install?

Contemplating on getting a Tri-Star bench seat; however it does not seem like they have any head rests; do they? If so how do they fit on. I also saw Jed the Spread's Camper Culture video of his use of a multivan seat...impressive and perhaps that is the way to go. How easy would it be to install?

Thanks for any and all comments.
Bryan

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JED THE SPREAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its easy enough to get a R&R seat in the back, their was some directions to a link on how I did it on the thread. To fit a genuine bench seat you will need the tub fitting that is in the link too, and as reguards to the bracket you can see in your pictures... Its an add on to take your existing seats.

Hope this helps

Jed
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is definately a front 60/40 seat from a 6 seater doublecab or singlecab. The bracket that you have a picture of and the hole next to it have been added by the PO at some point to attach the passenger seat to. That bracket belongs on the wall behind the front seats not in the rear.
shaun0008
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar rear seats do not have head rests. The rear seat back attaches to the square shelf area underneath the back window with screws that go through the metal tabs attached to the seat back. One the photos below show the back of the seat and if you look closly you can see the tabs. The seats shown are from a non Tristar truck and are flat. Tristar seats have two bolsters in each seat dividing into sections for three people.

1987 German Ambulance
1990 16" Syncro Westfalia
1987 Syncro Westfalia
1963 Beetle Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MKIII and Sons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that bracket is on the partition in my doka, still not sure on its intended purpose.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a pair of bucket seats up front now. If you do then that bracket is what the passenger side split bench backrest is supposed to be mounted to. If you have the partition then you are supposed to have a 60/40 split front bench seat because it is supposed to be a 6 seater.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Do you have a pair of bucket seats up front now. If you do then that bracket is what the passenger side split bench backrest is supposed to be mounted to. If you have the partition then you are supposed to have a 60/40 split front bench seat because it is supposed to be a 6 seater.

No I do not have the partition, my Doka is intended to be a 5 seater, I have two bucket seats up front. I am going to be in Portland this weekend to look at a Tri-Star rear bench so I can get a more unified seating arrangment in the back of my cab. Upon closer look that bracket is solidly welded onto the frame, I can easily cut and grind it off; however it may be worth salvaging.

Although if I think about it the divided 60/40 back seats now give me the option of placing an up right gun rack in between Twisted Evil just right for a zombie apacalypse moment.

How does the bench seat attach to the lower bench "box"? I see that the top bench seat should rest and bolt onto the frame with three brackets on the top rear of the bench back.

Thanks for your replys,
Bryan

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was replying to MKIII iz KING.
The seat bottom sits on the seat base and has a rubber strap that holds it in position.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually did get that split rear seat in a doka, the parts catalog calls it " seats, backrests and headrests in passenger compartment / rear. / german army: / German army"

If yours happens to be one of those is impossible to tell without looking at the M-codes. It could very well be like syncrodoka says, that they are from the front of a 6 seater doka or a 3 seater sika.
MKIII and Sons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:

that makes sense.
the PO put in a set of MKII recaros.
but you can see on the bases where a "mid" section was mounted at one time.

thanks for the input :beer:
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the lack of headrests in the army seats that the OP's seats have. Headrests are typical in the front seats but not in the rear. All of the military seating that I have seen were in that light brown vinyl not cloth.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Notice the lack of headrests in the army seats that the OP's seats have. Headrests are typical in the front seats but not in the rear. All of the military seating that I have seen were in that light brown vinyl not cloth.

You are probably right in that assumption, however headrests are easy to retrofit. I was not really trying to convince anyone that the op's seats were original german army ones, only that such an option existed...

And I have also only seen them in light brown vinyl, in cars with either matte green or camo paint.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OddN wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:

You are probably right in that assumption, however headrests are easy to retrofit. I was not really trying to convince anyone that the op's seats were original german army ones, only that such an option existed...

And I have also only seen them in light brown vinyl, in cars with either matte green or camo paint.

Well my Doka is in fact an old german army truck, I have the army rear gates with the see-through light holes and in a few spots you can see the original green color peeking through the PO's paint job; as for the cloth upholestry? I can't really say unless the POs swapped them out with 60/40 seats but used the original mounting gear.

Thing is with these seats I can't really access my bottom storage area.

Anyone know where I can get a set of those rubber gommets that hold the bench down?

FaceHook:
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since you actually do have a old military car this could have been the original configuration as OddN said. They could have removed the front seats from a 6 seater and swapped them in. If you don't like this arrangement you could swap in a stock rear bench. The old military trucks that I have seen usually have the rear bench and I haven't seen this option other than I know it is a option. I have seen a few different rear arrangements but not this one.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubber strap is part number 283 885 585
The gold cad. colored plate at the bottom of the strap is 111 885 589

The seats just don't look finished like VW would have installed them. Having a hole that things could fall into between the seats and be difficult to remove doesn't look like a OEM install. Confused
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Return of the bench seat Reply with quote

Well I just picked up a worn, but nice Tristar bench seat (at least it was in the same state this time); and installed it this past weekend. I had to drill out holes for the back bench brackets and cut and grind that middle bracket off... Sad , but so what, it looks great and I love it over what the POs did. While I was doing this project I found out that my rear bench seat bottom was not even bolted down!?? Can't have that. The whole 60/40 was in fact a PO modification; the tracks for the 60/40 were all bolted to the bottom bench support with those tracks over the empty space being welded to 18" angle iron for additional support. Meanwhile Ken at Vanagain is sending me the rubber strap for the bottom bench; I was able to salvage the bottom gold plate screw from the donor tristar.

Thanks for all your help and part numbers!

Now what's next.........? Rolling Eyes

Bman

FaceHook:
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really nice now- almost like it was supposed to be like this. Wink
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Looks really nice now- almost like it was supposed to be like this. Wink

The bracket at the bottom holding the backrest out isn't supposed to be there though. The backrest is supposed to lay flat against the wall.

Really? because I pulled those out of the exact same spot on the donor Tristar; maybe its a Tristar thing? Here is the photo I took before pulling:

Maybe that's why I had no pre-drill holes there like I did on the top support beam of the rear cab wall. How does the backrest then stay put on yours?

FaceHook:
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a tristar thing. I found a pic online and you can just make out the bracket.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe that's why I had no pre-drill holes there like I did on the top support beam of the rear cab wall. How does the backrest then stay put on yours?

Mine clips onto the wall with the three clips that you can make out in this pic. a few inches up from the backrest bottom.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: