Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making the clutch master cylinder bracket adjustable
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Making the clutch master cylinder bracket adjustable Reply with quote

My clutch was getting too loose to be safe: The pedal had developed a lot of slack, 1st & 3rd were tough to get without grinding and I could only get into reverse by using the old mechanics trick of turning the engine off, putting it into reverse, then restarting. Bleeding the system and adjusting the free play by lengthening the clevis pin helped a bit.

The real fix will be to renew the worn clevis pin hole at the top of the clutch pedal like: http://shufti.wordpress.com/2010/11/08/vanagon-clutch-and-brake-pedal-assembly/

But, I haven't had time to pick up the spare clutch assembly from Joel and find the larger BMW brake booster that Herman used http://vanagonsyncroproject-herman.blogspot.com/2010/03/bigger-brake-booster.html

So, until I can make the real fix, I decided to make the clutch master cylinder bracket adjustable by slotting the mounting holes so I could move the MC up slightly and take up the slack. The bracket is aluminum, so it is easy to drill, I had to move the steering wheel to the side and notch the steel lip for access.

It took about 45 minutes because access was so tight, but it seems to have done the trick. Shifting is now back to normal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Interesting.

Yes, I gave this a new thread since I hadn't seen this approach ever mentioned here before.

This has done such an amazing job fixing this problem that I plan to slot the replacement pedal bracket that's going to eventually go in for the "real" fix so that I can fine tune the clutch pedal travel to my heart's desire.

The lever distances are such that only a small change in the MC location is needed to take up a lot of pedal slack.

Although it hasn't been a problem, I plan to use star or textured washers next time to assure the best grip.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: