Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new Type 34
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep ahold of it-dont sell it off. Ill be up there in June (moving). I can bring you up to speed on all things T34. Ill hook you up with the in "type 3" crowd up there too.

Youll have a blast, get to see another part of the VW culture, make some new friends.

That looks like a nice og start. Keep us posted!

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Getting closer Reply with quote

I think I have the wiring finished. Had to come up with all relays, connectors, basically everything under dash. Used all the correct colored wiring from parts cars. Have two six volt batteries charging. Will start on with fuel system tomorrow. Need carb kits. Who carries?
Does a Type 3 engine cover fit Type 34? PO removed and I cant find it on the property. I also can't find front trunk piece that separates spare tire area from the rest of the trunk. Looks like a bus parcel tray. It is held in place like a bus front seat per se.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a T3 lid will fit over the engine-they are the same through the years. I have one for sale if you need it. You can get carb kits from CiP. I just used some not to long ago for a bus carb rebuild-they are universal kits and have what you need for the T3.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Almost have it sorted Reply with quote

Put a fresh 6V battery. Everything is SORTA great Confused . Turns over, power to coil, oil pressure goes out after a few turns Very Happy .
Most everything is somewhat working on electrics under dash EXCEPT:

1. The 4th fuse from right that has grey wires going to column to control maker lights. What in steering column turns on the marker lights?
2. Those same grey wires go to a single connector and a double connector according to the wiring diagram. Where do the markers get power?

3. Hi beams work only. The hi/lo switch broke from heat. So stuck on hi beam for now. The brown/ white wire from "S" on relay is hot always? The diagram shows this brown/white going to a double connector out of column.
4. What is the purpose of these double connectors? Do they make all 4 wires hot(bridged)?

Other than that I am having a blast. Nothing like laying upside down for two days Smile
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Euro spec electrical items that were working when your car was new.

One was that when the car was off-keys out-your about to grab the bratwurst and beer, you press the turn signal switch down to indicate the side of your car facing the street. It illuminates that side of the car-hence the term-side marker. Its a law in some countries due to the narrow streets to have the side of your car in the ally or narrow street illuminated. Most Americans will turn side markers into turn signals because we donít have such a law. But your colume and the wiring diagram is set up to do this Euro style.

Second is the flash-highbeam passer. Your car originally was able to flick the high beams on weather the headlights were on or not. So the switch on the turn signal switch is always hot in stock form. That way when haulin down the Autobahn in the day time you simply pressed the switch activating your high beams temporarily while the switch was engaged.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Second is the flash-highbeam passer. Your car originally was able to flick the high beams on weather the headlights were on or not. So the switch on the turn signal switch is always hot in stock form. That way when haulin down the Autobahn in the day time you simply pressed the switch activating your high beams temporarily while the switch was engaged.

Not quite... a terminal 30 on the headlight dip relay was always hot (30). The turn signal stalk was just a grounding point to trip the relay.

You can order a relay and just remove a jumper and wire it to 30 to retain the headlamp flasher.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for how the side marker light work, if I remember right, you put the turn signal arm to the on position (left or right) with the key off, and that turns them on. Or you're supposed to pull the headlight switch to the first notch first. It gets it's power from not having the key in. Most of us in the USA convert them into turn signals though. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Not quite... a termonal 30 on the headlight dip relay was always hot (30). The turn signal stalk was just a grounding point to trip the relay.

You can order a relay and just remove a jumper and wire it to 30 to retain the headlamp flasher.

Yeah, yeah. The car is always on too, you just need to turn the key to compleet the conection Wink

But you can now see how it all was intended to work. Belive me it was weird looking at what it was suposed to be as aposed to using something that has not been altered. I had to put wiring messes back together to make them work like a US car, only to be surprised how it was intended to work when an unmolested car fell in my lap.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Almost have it sorted Reply with quote

WOW!!! I have f'd with many of VW's and I thought I was sort of good... but I had no clue how all this EURO stuff worked let alone when it is all missing or buggered up. So I feel a little better.

Just to reconfirm, the "S" brown/white wire from light relay is only hot with key on ?

How does the marker light circuit get its power?
It shares a double connector with ignition hot, does this "special" connector from diagram bridge to make the greys hot? I am asking due to these components not being there and I have installed a couple that make all four hot.

Last edited by type241 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some countries also required the rear license lamp to be lit with the parking lights on.

And still others required that cars with front foglamps (like T34s) also have a rear foglamp on the driver's side that came on with the fronts.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all weird because your dealing with a VW thats not suposed to be here Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
aircooledonly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: type 34 ghia Reply with quote

Your welcome for my relays and expertise. Remember my bottle of Yeager and Red Bull. My type 3 stash goes along way. Fred Sanford to the rescue again. LOL Razz
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: My new Type 34 Reply with quote

'S' terminal on the headlight relay will always be hot with the key on or off, unless you hit your high-low beam finger switch on the turn signal switch, which grounds that line and causes the relay to change between high-low beam.

The ignition switch has a gray wire that is only energized when the key is off. This wire powers the 'economy side markers'. The circuit for this wire goes from the ignition switch in the upper steering column through the fuse box for safety, then back to the upper steering column and to the secondary contacts for the turn signal switch. These secondary contacts are missing on the contact plates for '66 and later North American market cars, but should always be in the Type 34--unless someone got in there and screwed with the contact plate or replaced it with a North American part.

Important: The dual connectors shown in the Type 34 wiring diagrams are NOT bridged. They are all isolated connectors and you could just as easily substitute two single connectors instead of using a dual. The only exception is the T connector used under the dash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: close to firing Reply with quote

^^^^^Perfect answer. Those double connectors I got from aircooledonly
are BRIDGED. This should cure almost all problems I believe. Thanks for the replies. Off to mess with fuel I hope. Very Happy
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic find! Keep the pictures and updates coming. By jumping into the T3 world by going straight to T34's, you are certainly jumping into the bermuda triangle for your first swimming lesson. Fair play to ya!
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: More pieces Reply with quote

Went back to the estate to retrieve the title and I found the battery cover, front trunk cardboard liner, front trunk removable pan w/ nice fabric..
Only missing the engine cover Confused Confused

I started to mess with the fuel today and clean. Will have pics of progress soon. I almost cant believe how nice the trunk area is.
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: It runs Reply with quote

Fixed the fuel lines. Changed the oil. Drove it a few miles. Pics when its done raining.
Gizmobob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: It runs Reply with quote

type241 wrote:
Fixed the fuel lines. Changed the oil. Drove it a few miles. Pics when its done raining.

Does it actually stop raining in the PNW? Shocked

'61 Type 311-Black
'62 Type 311-Gulf Blue (Germany)
'62 Type 313-Anthracite (Germany)
'62 Type 311-Gulf Blue (Italy)
'63 Type 361-Anthracite (Sweden)
'64 Type 343-Pacific Blue/Blue-White (Germany)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jburgard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have cool/wet/green rather than hot/dry/brown & No water rationing.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: