Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ok... so we pulled the heap with all the holes in it.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjenner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with hatred - its a piece of crap
67_SO42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjenner wrote:
Nothing to do with hatred - its a piece of crap

I agree with you about it being a rust bucket... but I just might give it a go. Ive got a 51 bug to start and finish before I can even look at this thing. Im in no rush and dont mind giving it a try. What do I have to loose? Smile

I have my brother heading out to locate a VIN number on it tonight. Kind of depends on what he finds I guess
58 Binz DC #151 "Nacho"
61 Norwegian, bug "Greta"
65 Swedish, Westfalia 400 trailer "Melania"
57 Binz scooter “Micha”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anmilsurp wrote:
Be forewarned, this forum is notorious for (allegedly) being full of haterade.
Haterade?... is that like gatorade?. Funny how when a few folks post some rational realism, the hate card gets thrown at them. I, for one, am tired of hearing broke=dick dreamers telling others to "get that one back on the road... roll it as is... save this one... it's totally savable... all the metal is available from Gerson... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH". Easy to say, but most of the people throwing this crap out there couldn't, wouldn't, never have, or have no idea of the $$$$$$ and time involved to try a resurrection on something this far gone... much less actually do it themselves. step up or shut up, PLEASE. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slow Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally give it a try! If you have the time and skill do it! I'm starting to not like reading posts here and just look at pictures due to all the negativity. It's almost like some people just jump on here to criticize and put everything down. Mostly due to no skill themselves, and a general shitty attitude.
100 years from now when they have reverse atom regeneration attractor technology perfected and in a hand held back yard mechanic's price range, someone will dig up this thread and go, "What were those guys thinking? The whole thing was all there just waiting to be re-atomized. Funny how easily they cut them up back then."

74 911
72 914
65 13w Deluxe
60 Ragtop
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
quartermilecamel wrote:

um...no Laughing Once he takes that thing to a sandblaster, he will wind up with a nice pretty subframe.

You're missing the program QMC. Backed by a crew with parts and knowledge, the educated consensus would say roll it as is untlil it falls back to the earth. Turn the bus over to the next passionate crazy MOFO and let's see it DRIVE to OCTO!

Who says it can't be done?

Yeah I tend to miss the boat quite regularly Laughing That would be awesome if he could get it going again. Now we just have to wait for his safe arrival home to asses it. Way beyond my skills to fix that.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man I jsut caught that. Hes got a 51 bug to do before this one. Poll starter? Vote now? Which one should he try first? Laughing
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Benedict has merit Reply with quote

It looks like a great project to take on when you come home from your tour. I would suggest counting the bullet holes before you fill them with metal so you can always gossip about how many times it was plugged.

Good for you for brining it in and giving it a home. Having survived this long, it deserves to be put back together and made roadworthy. Definitely low mileage but high wear.

How many gabbers here have roadworthy buses sitting in garages or storage bins that should be on the road?
1967 Dodge A-108 CampWagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I CAN"T be done. Too far gone. This could be epic!
Ea$y Money
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you got the time and money, i say go for it too. i think it would be funny to take it to a restoration place and see if they would give you a quote for a full restore. Smile
delamaize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BULLET BUS V2.0

Motor, tranny, axels, suspention, beam, brakes/master cylinder/lines, lights, harness, new tank, petals, seat, goggles (your issued ones will work) and ROLL THAT MOFO!! Drive it as is untill if falls into the ground, then yard art the thing! besides, get everything you need to get it back on the road, and you will have everything you could ever need mechanical wise to get another bus on the road when this one implodes!!
His non-attention to detail really sets it apart. I see a new trend.......call it " 'tard ride".
Sled wrote:
The tard box will live again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delamaize wrote:
BULLET BUS V2.0

Motor, tranny, axels, suspention, beam, brakes/master cylinder/lines, lights, harness, new tank, petals, seat, goggles (your issued ones will work) and ROLL THAT MOFO!! Drive it as is untill if falls into the ground, then yard art the thing! besides, get everything you need to get it back on the road, and you will have everything you could ever need mechanical wise to get another bus on the road when this one implodes!!

You forgot to mention adding structural support where it's badly needed. I don't think it will get far without fixing the windshield posts.
EODinert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
jeremy57ride wrote:
If this thing gets restored...it would be insane...literally.

Should have left it there to RIP...Rust In Pieces.

That would take a long, long time in Southern Arizona.
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It already is saved. It's in the hands of a VW enthusiast.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67_SO42 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Has no one stated the obvious with this bus? IT HAS BEEN BURNED! hot enough that it melted the trim off of it. Look at these pics the trim skrews are still in the body and what trim is there is melted. The steel that's left is going to be very weak from this kind of heat. It is yard art, unless you feel like building it back from scratch.
Jer*Fab
Samba Welder Dude

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lay it out and drive it, fix the structural bits and your good. no way in hell its even worth to restore. it'll be just a crowd pleaser at shows from now on, the sheet metal is just fine and will not crumble.

I was gonna do the same with the snap-on 23 that was rolled down a cliff and then beat to hell. but just never did.

Just do it aye!

And Clear-coat it!

Also Narrowed Bug and Bus Beams!

Follow us on FaceBook and Click the "Like" Button or Instagram
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
classicvwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
Funny how when a few folks post some rational realism, the hate card gets thrown at them. I, for one, am tired of hearing broke=dick dreamers telling others to "get that one back on the road... roll it as is... save this one... it's totally savable... all the metal is available from Gerson... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH". Easy to say, but most of the people throwing this crap out there couldn't, wouldn't, never have, or have no idea of the $$$$$$ and time involved to try a resurrection on something this far gone... much less actually do it themselves. step up or shut up, PLEASE. Very Happy

Restoring obsolete machines is rational...that kills the thrill for me, twenty-five years shot in the butt... Brick wall

We were all broke-dick dreamers once...lighten up man. Wink

That said, if this bus has a VIN, it is a good candidate for a resurrection on a new shell a la Gerson, but given the extensive fire damage, the sheet metal is toast... Crying or Very sad
classicvwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
It already is saved. It's in the hands of a VW enthusiast.

Speakin' the gospel there...That's pure John Muir. Pray
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classicvwnut wrote:
Dave24 wrote:
Funny how when a few folks post some rational realism, the hate card gets thrown at them. I, for one, am tired of hearing broke=dick dreamers telling others to "get that one back on the road... roll it as is... save this one... it's totally savable... all the metal is available from Gerson... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH". Easy to say, but most of the people throwing this crap out there couldn't, wouldn't, never have, or have no idea of the $$$$$$ and time involved to try a resurrection on something this far gone... much less actually do it themselves. step up or shut up, PLEASE. Very Happy

Restoring obsolete machines is rational...that kills the thrill for me, twenty-five years shot in the butt... Brick wall

We were all broke-dick dreamers once...lighten up man. Wink

That said, if this bus has a VIN, it is a good candidate for a resurrection on a new shell a la Gerson, but given the extensive fire damage, the sheet metal is toast... Crying or Very sad
Oh i'm lightened Wink . This is what I was sayin'... Gerson at what cost?... not to the folks sayin' "save it". Cool if it gets saved. But to tell the guy "save it" (at HIS cost) is pointless. Rational kills it?... well, Someone has to be, and has to pay REAL $$$$. Cool find , but it is toast. Ala Gerson is cool if you don't foot the bill Wink Wink Wink . I'm still a "semi-broke dreamer", by the way... sort of Very Happy
classicvwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
Oh i'm lightened Wink . This is what I was sayin'... Gerson at what cost?... not to the folks sayin' "save it". Cool if it gets saved. But to tell the guy "save it" (at HIS cost) is pointless. Rational kills it?... well, Someone has to be, and has to pay REAL $$$$. Cool find , but it is toast. Ala Gerson is cool if you don't foot the bill Wink Wink Wink . I'm still a "semi-broke dreamer", by the way... sort of Very Happy

I hear you man, still semi-broke here as well...of course if I'd quit buying VW's...nah!

They are all money pits in the end, but it's real hard to see one die (I hate breaking VW's for parts, it's traumatic! Shocked ). If he decides he doesn't want to "foot" the bill on bringing it back, he can still get a nice return on the VIN as there are fools...uh people...like me who will spend the dough to save it even though it lacks all common sense. Rolling Eyes What can I say, I'm an addict...and a bit sado-masochistic. Been snortin' this back East rust waaaay too long. Anxious
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet after he finishes the $70K resto on the 51 he will chop that bucket up faster than the cab separated from the rest of the bus!!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: