Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any info. about Allred VW or Plunkett VW?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
room2roam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Any info. about Allred VW or Plunkett VW? Reply with quote

Anything you know about either of these VW dealerships that went belly-up in the late '70s would be great. Thanks.
mozart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info. about Allred VW or Plunkett VW? Reply with quote

room2roam wrote:
Anything you know about either of these VW dealerships that went belly-up in the late '70s would be great. Thanks.

I'm familiar with both Plunkett VW in Sunland/Tujunga CA. Bought a new '74 Dasher and many vintage VW parts from them until they went belly up.
Also dealt with Allred VW. Bought thier Porcshe/VW neon sign from them when they closed shop. Do you remember the ligth green '49 Beetle on display in the showroom ?
KdF Ent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I remember the '49 Split on display in the show room of Allred Brothers VW in Glendale. It was painted Reseda-Grun; and I liked it so much that I painted my '52 Deluxe Split the same color. The Parts department was helpful in obtaining many NOS parts back in the mid '70s.
Sorry times when all the local dealers closed. Plunkett VW in Sunland-Tujunga, Allred Brothers VW in Glendale, and Foothill VW in La Crescenta.
mozart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KdF Ent wrote:
Yes, I remember the '49 Split on display in the show room of Allred Brothers VW in Glendale. It was painted Reseda-Grun; and I liked it so much that I painted my '52 Deluxe Split the same color. The Parts department was helpful in obtaining many NOS parts back in the mid '70s.
Sorry times when all the local dealers closed. Plunkett VW in Sunland-Tujunga, Allred Brothers VW in Glendale, and Foothill VW in La Crescenta.

Gary, I remeber your UR ALT '52 deluxe well. I think the Allred Bros' '49 split was a shade lighter of green than your car, possibly the difference in lighting, florescent versus natural light. I also dealt with Foothill VW on Foothill adjacent to the current 210 fwy. Oh don't forget Bob Scott's Vintage VW parts on Foothill Blvd above Honolulu near Pennsylvania, that's where I sold you the '57 Rometsch .
Ivan
licensepl8s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! a thread about my hometown of Glendale! I was born in Glendale Memorial Hospital in 1960, built my first "Cal-Look" VW in the 1970's and graduated Hoover High School. I used to go to Allred Bros., Vintage VW, then BMA. I moved away from there 22 years ago but still maintain ties to the area. I'm always looking for any Allred Plate Frames since I collect license plates and frames too.
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around what year did Plunkett close?

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mozart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KdF Ent wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gary, Here's Allred Bros' Pastel green '49 Beetle.
mozart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herbie3Rivers wrote:
Around what year did Plunkett close?

Plunkett VW was still in business in the late'70s. Probably closed in the '80 or '81.
johnlbutternut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family purchased (2) cars from Plunkett. First a black 1966 sedan and then in October of 1969 I bought a new 1970 Convertible. I'll be writing about this car along with photos on the Cal-look site soon.
garyj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnlbutternut wrote:
My family purchased (2) cars from Plunkett. First a black 1966 sedan and then in October of 1969 I bought a new 1970 Convertible. I'll be writing about this car along with photos on the Cal-look site soon.

Why not HERE?!? These are the folks that asked about it. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: