Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel gauge
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skippytheleglesshobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: fuel gauge Reply with quote

i have a 1969 bus, and the fuel gauge has recently gone crazy. it will say empty, go to full and stay there a few days, and then wobble all over the place for a few min. it obviousely isn't the proper level. what could be causing this? if it is working at all, it shouldn't be a bad elcectric right???
could it be a stuch bobber??

thanks
chris
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: fuel gauge Reply with quote

I have the same thing happen in my '58 SC. Though, I think it is just a bad ground. See where the wires are going and follow them out. One is obviously power to the gauge but also follow wires to tank and see if the wire is brounding somewhere else as well as where ever the ground is attached too. These will normally solve all the problems...I have just been too lazy to follow mine, heh.
Good luck

Jax
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
X-IL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:17 am    Post subject: fuel gauge Reply with quote

Sure seems lika you have a bad sender to the gauge. At least on my '75 the sender unit in the tank is damaged because of wear. The resistance thread is worn broken and then when that level is reached, the gauge drops to the bottom. This is a very common problem ,at least on the baywindow busses. You could buy a new sender unit, and if you're lucky you won't have to take the engine out to change (or cut a hole above the tank). Another way is to take the sender out, and rewire it, or if possible just solder the resistance wire back together on the bottom side of the sender. The sender is pictured (very rough though) on http://www.bug-bits.freeserve.co.uk/ramva/fiche/t209600.gif , it's the part with number 2 and 4 next to it.

--X-IL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: