Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater box differences
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Heater box differences Reply with quote

I have an 87 heater box and a 88 heater box. They both use a different outlet for the dash vent. The 87 uses a round hole the 88 uses the oval outlet. What is the difference between the two sources. Is the inside of the boxes different? What would be better for my 87 Westy?

Bill
87 Westy
Zetec Turbo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
molybdanum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I I remember correctly the later boxes push heat to the side vents. The ports are on the hot side of the heater core.

-Dan
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what it looks like. The early box is fresh air at the front vents and the later looks like heat. I wonder why vw made the change?

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the later front heater boxes as the constant cold air on my arm bothers me. I have changed all of mine for the later style. As long as you have the later hose that goes to the oval opening you can swap it over very easily.
They changed it over when they went to flow through ventilation in the rear windows.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AM DENSE.

What are the differences between early and late? Why should we care?

I ask this because of two things.

1. I never noticed a difference that bothered me.
2. I read somewhere, and I may be wrong, that the early set up is preferred for the Behr front AC, somehow. But, I may be all stupid too.

TIA,
Walt

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are the differences between early and late? Why should we care?

The early boxes always let in fresh outside air regardless of it being hot or cold. If it cold and foggy outside your left arm gets cold, when it is 103 outside your arm gets hot. The newer box the air flaps can be closed with the heater controls or air can be heated by the heater core if so desired.
I prefer the adjustability of the later boxes.

I would assume that the later boxes would be preferred for A/C as it allows you to condition the inside air only unless you are talking about the in dash unit then you are pressed for space as it is.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly prefer the later boxes, though some people like the earlier ones cause they can blow cold air at themselves while their better half has the heaters on full blast.
fixedgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wildthings has it correct. However, I prefer the earlier style for the reason that he mentions. I like to have an outside air source blowing cool controllable air at my face while running heated air to the floor vents, especially for the passenger in the front seat.

I cannot see a benefit to heated air coming out of the front facing vents. If I want heat, the dash or floor vents do the job, but I don't want it on my face while driving.

Of course with both setups you have the option of closing the vents fully or partially.

I thought that the changeover was between '86 and '87, but I guess this is wrong.

I thought that they would have changed because the earlier version brought the outside air too far forward, which introduces too much cold air too far into the cabin in the winter. Just a thought though.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I would assume that the later boxes would be preferred for A/C as it allows you to condition the inside air only unless you are talking about the in dash unit then you are pressed for space as it is.

I do specifically refer to the Behr in dash AC unit.

Next step after my 1990 Multivan is back on the road, I want to make a dual front and rear AC setup. The rear is the factory stock and the front will be a Behr unit.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the insides of the box the same or are the flaps different? Could I just cap the round holes on the early box and then open up the oval spots? I could then just use the hoses off the 88 and not have to pull dash. Plus the 88 box might have some damage as it was hit head on.

Bill
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could then just use the hoses off the 88 and not have to pull dash.

I tried that and I ended up pulling the dash, that job doesn't bother me much. The boxes are the same internally and the oval opening is even molded into the early box live VW intended to do it like that from the start.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course with both setups you have the option of closing the vents fully or partially.

The heater boxes have seals and can be closed off completely while the dash vent can be closed but air gets past it. I use the window for outside air if needed. To each his own.
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of converting my 1984 to the newer heater box. I've opened up the oval ports and capped off the round ports. It looks like same hoses are used, but I'm not positive. Can anyone confirm yes or no?

BillM wrote:
Are the insides of the box the same or are the flaps different? Could I just cap the round holes on the early box and then open up the oval spots? I could then just use the hoses off the 88 and not have to pull dash. Plus the 88 box might have some damage as it was hit head on.

Bill

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: