Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

crossplane crank; works for yamaha!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we trying to get two cylinders to fir simultaneously as if it were a two cylinder engine? I.e., 1/3 fire (or 1/4) and then the other pair? or 1/2 then 3/4? The natural balance of the flat four engine comes in that opposing cylinders travel in opposing directions simultaneously and cancel out each other's kinetic energy that would try to move the engine one way or the other. As long as one cylinder on each side is traveling opposite one on the other you should be fine. As for the firing balance... I don't know that it wouldn't be more balanced to have 1/3 fire, then 2/4 as the motion of the cylinders is latitudinal and not fore and aft...

You could do a four lobe cam running that way is you make cam symmetrical along the shaft (like an elongated oval with the shaft at the center) and change the cam/crank gear ratios to 1:4... I think that's it if I understand the intent correctly... It would require some heavy machining of the case for clearance, and maybe some creative case modification with an aluminum case (so it's weldable).

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The four lobe cam would work fine, and I would not alter the firing order either, just the....... spacing rather. It would be odd fire but still 4321
Both the cam and crank can be cut in half, turned 60 or 90 degrees, and put back together again and it will work. granted, you'd also need to modify the distributor.
This would reduce the torque shake from all four stopping and starting at once. I believe that is why yamaha did it, smoother power for better traction.

I did hear of a "big bang" two cylinders fire at once vw airplane engine being built. WHY, I don't know. and the crazy guys making them into 6 and 8 cylinder engines have welded cranks together.
just a matter of motivation
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the "big bang" idea. it seems like it would smooth out the engine substantially because the force generated by ignition would almost be cancelled out because they are opposed and firing at the same time. I.E. two shotguns butt to butt fired at the same time. Hypothetically the kick back would be cancelled out.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um, no, the firing forces twist the flywheel, not push the engine sideways

this is very easy to test
go down the road and get going some rpm
Or put it on a dyno
floor it, observe vibration
let off, observe vibration

It is easy to remove the forces of the cylinders firing
Changing the crank is not so easy to test
the altered crank makes the flywheel run a more constant speed since the pistons don't all stop and go at once

Last edited by modok on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, there are definitely simpler remedies for engine shake.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh....wait a minute.... what I get it now.
With the big bang it would reduce the load on the main bearings, yeah, ok

But when 2 and 4 fired at once it would wind up the crank a lot since they are farther from the flywheel....... that could be a drawback
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you beef up the bearings and put type 4's in I think it would work. Team that up with lightened flywheel and a heavier pulley/harmonic balancer and you've possibly got a smooth engine.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
wells service wrote:
... figure out why the VW engine fires the two left cylinders togeather and then the two right cylinders.

You need to go back to VW101 and repeat the course.

The 4 cylinders fire sequentially, 180º apart. There aren't any two cylinders that fire at the same time.

Maybe he has a VW motor w/ the two left pistons come up to TDC at the same time. That is the only way I can see firing them at the same time.

Too funny. Laughing

And Modok must have gone up higher in elevation where he is at as I can sense a lack of oxygen for his brain. Come down few hundred feet, Modok. Closer to sea-level is good for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
The four lobe cam would work fine, and I would not alter the firing order either, just the....... spacing rather. It would be odd fire but still 4321
Both the cam and crank can be cut in half, turned 60 or 90 degrees, and put back together again and it will work. granted, you'd also need to modify the distributor.
How do you figure the old 4 lobe cam will work when you have turned part of the crank 90 degrees unless your turning 1/2 the cam 90 degrees also?

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
bdkw1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I did hear of a "big bang" two cylinders fire at once vw airplane engine being built. WHY, I don't know. and the crazy guys making them into 6 and 8 cylinder engines have welded cranks together.
just a matter of motivation

The "big bang" motors were Honda GP500 V4 2 strokes. Firing order was clustered together due to the large power pulses made the rear tire slide more predictably. The even firing order motors would break traction without warning highsiding the bike. The downside of the large power pulses is that they are hard on drive train parts. The SCAT V4's were notorious for eating trans missions.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys B nuts. but I reckon it,s better than chewing each other's asses. well sort of.hmm why not just go turbine??or steam turbine, or wankel,with a titanium wank?
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, what about something like this? Don't mind the fact that I used a really old engine for the picture. I call it the X8, I guess it's a cross between a rotary and a v8.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pushrod/crank clearance issues... Overhead cam it Carerra style though... If you have the ability to cast/machine at that level there's some merit. It wouldn't work with an upright cooling system; you'd need a type 3/4 type set up where the air blows over the cylinders/heads from the front.

Reminds me of an X-wing.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wompninja wrote:
Ok, what about something like this? Don't mind the fact that I used a really old engine for the picture. I call it the X8, I guess it's a cross between a rotary and a v8.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SHAME on you for Photoshopping a 36'er... now the purists will piss and moan. Laughing

bnc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: