Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rebuilt 1600 turns slow and wont start??
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: rebuilt 1600 turns slow and wont start?? Reply with quote

I recently bought a 1600 rebuilt and I wanted to test start it before putting it in but I can't start it. It is turning over slow like it is not getting enough amps to turn it over. I can turn the pulley by hand and fill the compression when turning it. there is spark going to the distributor.New starter and new battery.Could there be something wrong w/the way I'm bench testing it.What kind of ground?? were do I ground it? anyone have any suggestions on prcedure on benchtesting??any help appreciated.I also put mystery oil down the spark plugs to free any sticking up.Why would the motor be turning slow? I have tested the starter and the battery..Help... thanks Greg peace
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: rebuilt 1600 turns slow and wont start?? Reply with quote

A lot of things come to mind, who rebuilt it? I've put together a few engines in my time that were "tight" and I was worried about them until I cranked them over without the coil hooked up and after they got some oil pressure they "loosend up"
But I have almost alway's had the ability to start my rebuilds out of the vehicle using a type2 bus tranny bell housing for a starter jig...
How long did it sit from the time it was rebuilt to the time you tried to start it?
How much MM oil did you pour into the cylinders.....? Hydro lock ????
If the re builder only put "oil or ATF" instead of assembly lube on the bearings and internals and it has been a while then things are real dry( it will run off) and you need to get oil pressure so it will loosen up.... otherwise it could be a "tight" align bore, a "bind"in beteween the camshaft and crank gear or a main bearing not seated on a dowel pin propely) worst case scenario there...)
That is of couse if trying what lets burn one lucky420 dude says is correct and your just not turning it over fast enough with your starter rig... (puff) just a thought Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: rebuilt 1600 turns slow and wont start?? Reply with quote

hey guys thanks for the response I got it figured out, it was the cables I had cheap ones.. I got a pair of heavy duty jumper cables. turned over alot faster set up the timing and it wants to start and stay started, but the problem I'am having now is how can I hook it up without keeping the starter turning??? How do I hook it up?? I'am trying to bench start it> first time Once again guys thanks. peace, greg
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: rebuilt 1600 turns slow and wont start?? Reply with quote

Cool, glad it was the simple stuff...
just get some 3 ft battery cables at the local auto store or scapyard and bolt them up to the starter like they should be then use an old screwdriver across the positive to the spade on the solenoid.... that should do the trick. I modified my rig with a pushbutton and a lead with an in line fuse holder and a toggle switch to the coil but I use it alot....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: