Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Muffler Fit
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KillerTux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Muffler Fit Reply with quote

My muffler just blew out a tailpipe plus the support for the pipe. I took the muffler off and got a new one. The new one has a different pre-heat pipe d'oh! What stock muffler will fit and what kind did I end up with? I have a 40hp engine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that small pipe is for the heat riser which warms the intake manifold to prevent icing. the original muffler had it on the left side like your new one in the picture. if you got a muffler for a 1500/ 1600 you will know right away because it will be about 3/4" too wide to fit.
KillerTux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange. The new 40HP exhaust would fit perfect on the right passenger side but on the left, it was too short to bolt on to the intake. I am still trying to figure out what type of exhaust the old rusty one is off of.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this new muffler fit the head studs??? OK??? And the right heat riser connection is OK, but the left heat riser connection is too far to right of the manifold connection???
KillerTux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody '71 wrote:
How does this new muffler fit the head studs??? OK??? And the right heat riser connection is OK, but the left heat riser connection is too far to right of the manifold connection???

Exactly. If the left heat raiser connection was in the same postition as the right side, I would have this exhaust on. Is their a different type of stock exhaust that would fit?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: